NFL '10, off-season

Today is the first day of free agency this off-season. I read that Chester Taylor signed with the Bears, 4yrs/12.5mil

As a Vikes fan, that stings; I loved what he did for the team and thought he was under-utilized. Terms of the deal are odd to me, as he'll be 31 for most of next season, but, in the near term, I think this vastly improves the Bears, which I'm happy to see (until it impedes my Vikes). Hope he's the #1 guy over there! :thumbup

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Runaway Jim

Peppers has agreed to a deal with the Bears too.

I'm happy with both signings. I know Peppers gets labeled as a guy who plays football for the money but doesn't love the game. I don't know if that's true or not, but I know he's far better than any DE we've had in years. At least in terms of sack production (minus Mark Anderson's 12 sack rookie year).

Chester Taylor is pretty damn good and should compliment Forte well.

In other news, Big Ben has been accused of rape again.

:ohwell

The first accusation seemed suspect. I know no details on this one. The fact that exists is troubling. I wanted to like the guy and will reserve judgment.

On a lighter note, I really don't like the idea of the Vikings having to face Peppers twice a season the way he treated McKinney this year.

Guest Runaway Jim

Ravens trade for Anquan Boldin

Falcons sign Dunta Robinson

I missed that the Chargers traded Cromartie to the Jets.

Jets cut Thomas Jones, expectedly.

re: Big Ben

I've really enjoyed his play over his career and I was suspect of the first accusation. I'm also suspect of this one, knowing no real details yet. We'll see, I guess.

In other news, Big Ben has been accused of rape again.

Did this get the kind of attention that Michael Irvin's situation did? (By the way, the authorities declined to prusue a Grand Jury indictment against Irvin).

Did this get the kind of attention that Michael Irvin's situation did? (By the way, the authorities declined to prusue a Grand Jury indictment against Irvin).

i think it will, especially if ben wears a fur coat into the courthouse.

Guest Runaway Jim

I first questioned why the Jets cut Jones, but they have a glut at RB and he's the oldest. May have been the best of the lot, but whatever. At least this means that me Browns might make a run for him. :dancing

I read that they are expected to (try to) resign Jones. Weird. They're basically saying, "we want you on our team, but we don't want to pay you any bonus we owe you so we're going to cut you and resign you."

If I were TJ, I'd basically be saying "Fuuuuuuuuuck You".

I think he'll probably sign with the Chargers.

i think it will, especially if ben wears a fur coat into the courthouse.

Seriously, are the Roethlesberger stories being pursued in Pittsburgh? The Dallas media have Irvin convicted and in the jailhouse everytime something comes up. Although I ususally don't play that game, I am beginning to sense a racial componant to this stuff. The media crucifies the black guy and casts aspersions on the white guy's accusers.

Guest Runaway Jim

From what I've read, Steeler fans are not happy with Big Ben.

I don't know the circumstances of the Irvin case, but despite Big Ben's race, his issue is clearly suspect. The first women said nothing of the alleged incident to police and is trying to sue Big Ben. Seems like it may be a greedy woman bending the truth. So, with that being said, I think it's ok to question if the second woman could possibly be doing that too. It should also be looked into to make sure Big Ben isn't an actual rapist.

Guest Runaway Jim

They should definitely grab Suh or McCoy. Or even Okung. They need an OT too. Depending on who St. Louis picks, they may be able to trade down if Cleveland wants to jump Washington and grab a QB.

Guest Runaway Jim

Forgot to mention that Miami signed Karlos Dansby. That could be a nice fit. Up until a couple of years ago when the Cards made their SB run, Dansby may have been the most underrated player in the league. Or it least one of the most underrated players in the league.

Did you catch Derek Anderson's comments on his way out of Cleveland?

"The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner," Anderson said in the e-mail Tuesday. "I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured.

"I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and [we] roll them."

Oy! Harsh words. Yes, I am trying to avoid further talk about my team's quarterback who's busy sexually assaulting college students.

--Mike

Guest Runaway Jim

I guess Anderson apologized a day later. I didn't read his apology. Anyway, he's right. Fans that cheer for players to be injured are bums. I wouldn't want to play for the Browns either. That said, Derek Anderson sucks and should keep his mouth shut.

Thomas Jones signs with the Chiefs. Wait, let me rephrase that... Thomas Jones signs with the Chiefs?!?!?

• 4 weeks later...

Are you kidding me? The Eagles Trade Donovan McNabb? And to a division rival? The Washington Redskins? Replacing him with an unproven backup? Or with a convicted felon?

Donovan McNabb?

Now...let me declare my affiliation: I am a lifelong Cowboy fan. But I think this is as bad a decision as has been made in years. Worse than the Cowboy's trade for Roy Williams (and that was a real doozy).

As a lifelong Eagles fan, my feelings are mixed. Donovan has been much maligned in Philly. i don't understand it; he puts up great numbers, seems to be a high character kind of guy, plays waaaay hurt, and is a competitor. So he never won a Super Bowl (yet) - join the crowd.....

I think it was time for a change and wish him well. i'm glad he wasn't sent to buffalo or oakland- he deserves better than that, but Washington??? Not worried as an eagles fan, I just won't want to see him twice a year representing that horrible, embarrassing franchise and owner. not to mention the fact they have no/ few go to receivers. Good Luck, Don, and thanks for the memories. You are truly a class act.

Are you kidding me? The Eagles Trade Donovan McNabb? And to a division rival? The Washington Redskins? Replacing him with an unproven backup? Or with a convicted felon?

Donovan McNabb?

Now...let me declare my affiliation: I am a lifelong Cowboy fan. But I think this is as bad a decision as has been made in years. Worse than the Cowboy's trade for Roy Williams (and that was a real doozy).

Sounds like there's going to be a heartache tonight, but in the long run if you take it easy you'll have a peaceful, easy feeling.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

I understand the move - it was time for a change. McNabb played 11 seasons with the team and goes down as the best QB in franchise history. But he could quite get them there, and though he came awfully close 4 times in row, I think his run there is over. I hope he does really well in Washington. I mean, I'm no Redskins fan, but I certainly like them better than the Cowboys or Giants. Then again, I probably like that piece of gum stuck to the bottom of my new shoes more than I like the Cowboys or Giants.

I'm a Redskins fan, and have always been a fan of Donovan. So, one would think I'd be happy about this, but I think my concern for the ability of our Offensive line to protect him kinda dilutes my enthusiasm. + Who does he throw too?

P.S. I'm not sold on the whole idea of the Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis and "Fast " Willie Parker veteran running back corps. being thrown at the NFC East defenses as a good idea. Just to throw that out there....

As a lifelong Eagles fan, my feelings are mixed. Donovan has been much maligned in Philly. i don't understand it; he puts up great numbers, seems to be a high character kind of guy, plays waaaay hurt, and is a competitor. So he never won a Super Bowl (yet) - join the crowd.....

I think it was time for a change and wish him well. i'm glad he wasn't sent to buffalo or oakland- he deserves better than that, but Washington??? Not worried as an eagles fan, I just won't want to see him twice a year representing that horrible, embarrassing franchise and owner. not to mention the fact they have no/ few go to receivers. Good Luck, Don, and thanks for the memories. You are truly a class act.

Althought that's not the way I roll (in either thought or action), I always perceived a bit of a racial aspect to the way Eagles fans reacted and treated McNabb.

Hey, I am a Cowboys fan. I am not fond of the Eagles in any sense of the word. But I respect McNabb. For all appearances,he is a stand up guy. (Not like the other Pennsylvania pro team). He is a warrior and I think the Eagles will rue the day.