NFL '10, off-season

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The line is drawn by the market, usually, but I am not sure how contracts signed this cap-less year will be handled under a new salary cap structure. It would be interesting (and perhaps ruinous) to see star players all of a sudden demand en masse to have their contracts redone for more money.

I was thinking Peyton is worth whatever his team paid him when he signed his contract.

He was worth what he signed for, now a guy who has never taken a snap is worth more. So next contract Peyton should be looking for around $200 million. Maybe he should hold out when his contract is up.

Guest Jules

He was worth what he signed for, now a guy who has never taken a snap is worth more. So next contract Peyton should be looking for around $200 million. Maybe he should hold out when his contract is up.

Your logic is flawed.

i've heard the talks to increase the schedule to 18 games. has anyone heard if they will increase the 53 man roster if they up the ante by two more games? i'm just thinking that the season is already pretty grueling. it seems that they'd need more players for position depth and rotation purposes.

I'm guessing Jerry Rice had not written or even seen the speech prior through his stumbling through reading it.

Painful delivery and almost devoid of any emotion outside the sniffling.

• 1 month later...

Giants, Giants, woo woo woo!

Lions were robbed.

I swear the Ford's must have done some really bad shit back in the day for the Lions to be this cursed. Not only were they robbed on the the pass to Calvin, but what do you want to bet that Stafford has a dislocated shoulder and will be out or playing at less than 100% the rest of the year? All that said, I'm glad I put big points on da Bears in my pick-em confidence pool this week.

By all accounts, the refs interpreted the rule correctly. Which just means it's a stupid rule.

I too am a Bears fan -- living in the heart of Lions country -- and I don't feel very good about this "win." If the Bears have to knock out the starting QB and benefit from a bizarre and obscure rule just to overcome the Lions, that doesn't say much about the team.

That said, if they get Stafford back sometime soon (I really hope the injury isn't serious), the Lions could stir things up this year. That's a much better team now than it's been over the past several years. Overall, the Bears looked to me like the better team, but only after Stafford went down, and only if you discount all the fumbles and some highly questionable decisions made by the coaching staff.

Lovie Smith was quoted as saying he trusted his defense AND would make the same decision about going for it on fourth and goal "every time," which doesn't really inspire confidence in his thought processes as a coach. If he was so confident in his defense, why not kick the field goal, take the lead, then rely on his defense to hold? Stupid, stupid, STUPID decision on fourth down, preceded by three pretty atrocious play calls. I mean, you have to try the quarterback sneak at least once, right?

What an ugly opening weekend.

Eagle, Cowboys and Colts really shit the bed this weekend.

By all accounts, the refs interpreted the rule correctly. Which just means it's a stupid rule.

Indeed.

Lions at Bears Pool Report: Referee Gene Steratore

Q. What is the rule used on the near Detroit touchdown at the end of the game?

A. The ruling is that in order for the catch to be completed he has got to maintain possession of the ball throughout the entire process of the catch.

Q. He was on his behind before he rolled over. If he stayed on his behind would it have been a touchdown?

A. No. We don’t play with the two feet or one knee or anything of that scenario. We’re talking now about the process of the catch. He’s catching the football, as he goes to the ground, he must maintain possession of the ball throughout the entire process. So as he continues to fall if he fell with two feet and his elbow hit the ground and came out it would be incomplete.

Q. It looked like he had the ball up in one hand while on his rear end, but there was continuation?

A. Well, the process was not finished until he finished that roll and the entire process of that catch.

It's ridiculous that they have a rule that defines a reception in such a way that Johnson's catch was clearly not one.

That was a clear reception, and he showed control when he landed on two feet, when he landed on his ass, when he had vapor lock on the ball with his right hand while he was balancing himself with his left hand, when he put the ball down. From the moment he touched the ball, he had it under control, and it never left his control until he set it down.

What an ugly opening weekend.

Eagle, Cowboys and Colts really shit the bed this weekend.

I'm not sure it's fair to say the Colts shit the bed. That was a pretty dominating performance by the Texans. This might be the year they finally get into the playoffs. I know it's early still, but the AFC South looks like the best division in football. (Granted, beating the Raiders and Broncos isn't anything special.)