What's the best song on Sky Blue Sky

113 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite song on Sky Blue Sky?

• Either Way
    • You Are My Face
    • Sky Blue Sky
    • Side With the Seeds
    • Shake It Off
    • Please Be Patient With Me
    • Hate It Here
    • Walken
    • What Light
    • On and On and On

I think you might be right, bleedorange. I voted for YAMF (and apparently I'm the only Wilco fanatic who doesn't love "Impossible Germany").

Speaking of songs that we didn't like at first... initially I thought "On and On and On" was one of the weakest tracks in the entire Wilco catalog. I've come around on it--it's now one of my favorites on SBS. Seeing it live--and seeing the emotion in Tweedy's performance--helped it to open up for me.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you might be right, bleedorange. I voted for YAMF (and apparently I'm the only Wilco fanatic who doesn't love "Impossible Germany").

Yeah, I don't think Impossible Germany is a masterpiece or classic, either.

You Are My Face might be Wilco's greatest achievement, and I think if you dropped it into any Wilco album, it would rise to the top.

Not necessarily. If you dropped it into Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, it would be my 12th favorite song. And if you dropped it into A Ghost is Born, it would be my 13th favorite song. It would be in the lower half of Summerteeth, too. Maybe it just seems so spectacular because of the rest of Sky Blue Sky. ;)

Nope sorry - it's got to be SWTS - the blues swagger with waltz tempo change into two fantastic Nels solos, that are kept beautifully succinct - no contest really...!

Guest Ordinary Beehive

For instance, I guarantee the voting would be a lot closer among all 11 songs on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, as opposed to the two standard favorites here (IG and YAMF) running away with it.

To bad a poll can only have 10 choices or we could start a "What's the best song on YHF?" poll.

Well, you could always pick your favorite, then say you assume the majority of Wilco fans would pick that one, and leave it off the poll...

I see what you did there..

Honestly though I didn't realize You Are My Face was such a favorite on this album. Maybe since I've heard the original version by Relatively Clean Rivers it's not as special for me or something. Still a good song though.

Guest Jules

Honestly though I didn't realize You Are My Face was such a favorite on this album. Maybe since I've heard the original version by Relatively Clean Rivers it's not as special for me or something. Still a good song though.

If you're trying to say something, you should just say it.

Maybe since I've heard the original version by Relatively Clean Rivers it's not as special for me or something. Still a good song though.

Ouch, I just hurt myself rolling my eyes! It's influenced by RCR, it's not a cover.

I was just joking of course.

Sure it's a good song but there's so many songs that are better on SBS. Hate It Here, Either Way, Side With The Seeds, Walken, Sky Blue Sky. I just don't find You Are My Face to be outstanding, at least compared to those other tracks.

You Are My Face jumped out at me the same way Via Chicago, Poor Places and Sunken Treasure did on their respective albums. While alot of the other songs surrounding them are good or even great, songs like these are in a league of their own.

I see what you did there..

I didn't vote for "You Are My Face," either.

Here we go again with what I like to call "the picking of children". I can break this album down into teirs but thats as far as I can go. I have this same lack of decisiveness in all the favorite album threads so I apologize for the masses on the edge of their seats waiting for my opinion. I do however think this album is flawless musically and creatively in my opinion as opposed to most of the other Wilco albums. In most of the "favorite album threads" I see SBS ranked usually towards the bottom three and that always blows my mind. I guess if I would have came into Wilco on A.M. it would be my favorite or one of but unfortunately I didn't so I can't see it holding a candle to SBS musically yet it often ranks higher on the album lists.

[(and apparently I'm the only Wilco fanatic who doesn't love "Impossible Germany").

Ummm, you are not alone. I really don't love Impossible Germany at all. In fact, it's the only Wilco song that sort of makes me cringe. Hearing it in CVS didn't help. For the record, I deeply love Wilco.

[(and apparently I'm the only Wilco fanatic who doesn't love "Impossible Germany").

Ummm, you are not alone. I really don't love Impossible Germany at all. In fact, it's the only Wilco song that sort of makes me cringe. Hearing it in CVS didn't help. For the record, I deeply love Wilco.

I find this post a little strange. First of all, CVS? If your CVS is playing IG, it's the coolest CVS I've heard of.

Second, cringe? Really? Is it the impossibly great guitar work? The lyrics? ??????

Guest Ordinary Beehive

If your CVS is playing IG, it's the coolest CVS I've heard of.

Exactly. Hearing a song you like, or a song by a band you like, in CVS does not take away from the song or band. It just means that CVS is playing good music. It doesn't mean they "sold out" or anything either.

Also, the fact that you're shopping in CVS is more disturbing. Walgreen's is the way to go.

I'm sticking my vote in for 'On and On'. Because I like it.

Its simple and a bit over-sentimental. Also my wife loves it and always wants to hear it....and I love her so I'm sticking up for this song.