R.E.M. - Fables Of The Reconstruction 25th Anniversary Remastered Double CD

Official Link via R.E.M.HQ

The band has teamed with Capitol/I.R.S. for the July 13 release of an expanded 25th Anniversary 2CD and digital edition of the band’s 1985 album, Fables Of The Reconstruction. The new edition features the digitally remastered original album, plus 14 previously unreleased demo recordings, cut prior to the album’s studio sessions, including one long-sought track that has never been released. The commemorative release also adds insightful new liner notes by Peter with the 2CD package presented in a lift-top box with a poster and four postcards. On the same date, the remastered original album will be released on 180-gram vinyl.

Fables Of The Reconstruction, recorded during the winter of 1985 in London, England, distant in geography, weather and culture from R.E.M.’s Athens, Georgia home, represented a musical step forward for the band.

Produced by Joe Boyd (also known for his work with British folk and folk-rock musicians, including Nick Drake, Richard Thompson, and Fairport Convention), Fables marked the beginning of a more narrative, storytelling lyrical style in R.E.M.’s songwriting, with its songs spinning vivid tales of everyday life in the American South.

Before going to London to record, R.E.M. huddled in Jim Hawkins’ Athens, Georgia studio for a few weeks of building new songs from fragments, including many which had emerged during soundchecks along the band’s 1984 tour.

In his liner notes, Peter Buck recalls, “The last day of rehearsal, I think with Joe Boyd in attendance, Jim Hawkins recorded what we had come up with. We spent about four hours recording all the new songs live, with minimal overdubs. I hadn't listened to this stuff since we recorded it, and I'm kind of stunned at how good it is. My memory of the rehearsals is us scrambling to finish songs. The songs on both Murmur and Reckoning had been performed for months if not years by the time they were committed to tape. I remember feeling dangerously unprepared when we flew to London, but on the evidence of this recording we must have known what we were doing.”

“The Athens Demos,” as R.E.M. has dubbed them, comprise the new edition’s second disc of 14 previously unreleased recordings, including drafts of Fables’ 11 songs and three additional tracks that didn’t make the album. The three non-album demos include two early versions of songs that were later revisited by the band and recorded for other releases and one song, “Throw Those Trolls Away,” making its release debut on this new edition.

In the U.S., Fables Of The Reconstruction peaked at #28 on The Billboard 200, and its singles, “Can’t Get There From Here” and “Driver 8,” reached #14 and #22 on Billboard’s Mainstream Rock chart, respectively. In the U.K., Fables reached #35, the band’s highest U.K. chart position to that point in their career.

“It's a personal favorite,” writes Buck, “and I'm really proud of how strange it is. Nobody but R.E.M. could have made that record. It took our four twisted personalities and the legendary Joe Boyd to make an album that character-filled and vibey.”

Place a PRE-ORDER at amazon.com

Fables Of The Reconstruction(25th Anniversary Edition) (2CD, digital)

Disc One: digitally remastered original album

1. Feeling Gravity’s Pull

2. Maps and Legends

3. Driver 8

4. Life and How To Live It

5. Old Man Kensey

6. Can’t Get There From Here

7. Green Grow The Rushes

8. Kohoutek

9. Auctioneer (Another Engine)

10. Good Advices

11. Wendell Gee

Disc Two: “The Athens Demos”

1. Auctioneer (Another Engine) [demo version]

2. Bandwagon [demo version] [final version was B-side to “Can't Get There From Here”]

3. Can’t Get There From Here [demo version]

4. Driver 8 [demo version]

5. Feeling Gravity’s Pull [demo version]

6. Good Advices [demo version]

7. Green Grow The Rushes [demo version]

8. Hyena [demo version] [album version appeared on Life’s Rich Pageant]

9. Kohoutek [demo version]

10. Life and How To Live It [demo version]

11. Maps and Legends [demo version]

12. Old Man Kensey [demo version]

13. Throw Those Trolls Away [demo version] [previously unreleased]

14. Wendell Gee [demo version]

R.E.M. credits from original album

M.E. Mills - Consulate Mediator

W.T. Berry - Best Boy

P.L. Buck - Ministry of Music

J.M. Stipe - Gaffer Interpreter

All songs by Berry/Buck/Mills/Stipe

except "Old Man Kensey" By Berry/Buck/Mills/Stipe/Ayers

and “Bandwagon” By Berry/Buck/Mills/M.Stipe/L.Stipe

:dancing

:thumbup

That is what I was thinking. I have always read that the making of that album, and their stay in England was quite unpleasant. I don't think I have listened to an R.E.M. album for a long time, but that one I could handle.

Slightly disappointed there is no live show with this one. I have a feeling that the Demo's won't add much to the originals. By contrast REM toured like demons in 1985 and played a some killer covers of "See No Evil", "Paint It Black" and "Toys In The Attic" along the way.

There is a live version of Toys In The Attic on that album R.E.M.: In the Attic – Alternative Recordings 1985–1989. I don't know what tour it is from though.

Not to split hairs but I think it's a studio version. It was a b-side and I think also collected on "Dead Letter Office".

Wow - as much as I love early REM, I haven't bought either the Murmur or Reckoning reissues. But I might have to get this ...

Oh you need to. Murmur is maybe the best remaster I've even heard besides the Tupelo ones. It really is like hearing it for the first time.

Oh you need to. Murmur is maybe the best remaster I've even heard besides the Tupelo ones. It really is like hearing it for the first time.

Are they worth the money, the re-masters?

I might have to start picking these up if the consensus is a resounding "yes".

I got Reckoning, but not Murmur. I already have the Mobile Fidelity "gold" CD for Murmur, and the show on the 2nd disc is widely available in more-complete form. That said, the Reckoning remaster was definitely worth it, and the Murmur one probably is too if you don't already have the MFSL version.

Fables was the first REM tour I caught and I would love to get this, too bad no live show included. This is one of those cases that is tough for me. I already have the early REM stuff on vinyl, CD, and in some cases Cassette. Not sure I want to buy them all again although I have been eyeing Murmur and Reckoning for awhile now. I'm sure I will break down at some point.

Fables was the first REM tour I caught and I would love to get this, too bad no live show included. This is one of those cases that is tough for me. I already have the early REM stuff on vinyl, CD, and in some cases Cassette. Not sure I want to buy them all again although I have been eyeing Murmur and Reckoning for awhile now. I'm sure I will break down at some point.

I agree with every word in that (including that Fables was the first REM tour I saw).

I vote "yes" - the re-masters for both sound amazing and it's fun having the live stuff, although I can't say how they compare to previous cds (I'd only had these on vinyl; can't believe it took me over 25 years to upgrade!)

I recently rescued an LP copy of this from my parents' basement. Poor thing is in tough shape, but it's a keeper since it's the only REM vinyl that my household ever had. First REM album I really got to know - our local music video channel (V66!) used to play the video for 'Can't Get There From Here' all the time.

Huge R.E.M fan but have stayed away from the remasters due to a general avoidance of current remasters because of the loudness wars, and preferring the originals. My question goes to the other question. Are these just turned up to 11 or is it worth it? I know there have been some answers that they are worth but I'd like to know what is better about these remasters.

Also, as an FYI, the bonus cut "Throw the Trolls Away" is actually "When I Was Young" which is listed on the original Fables inner sleave but dropped at the last moment. It was then improved to become I Believe on Lifes Rich Pageant. Why they call it Throw the trolls away is beyond me. Also, I got that info from murmurs.com so it could be wrong. Considering throw the trolls out the door is a line from Cant Get There From Here, I'm not sure why they would rename the song but........

These are a little louder, but not painfully so (unlike the unfortunate "And I Feel Fine" set that came out a few years ago--I can't even listen to those discs). They don't sound "clipped" like the "And I Feel Fine" remastered greatest hits record, but it is definitely louder.

I have the remastered Reckoning and the "I.R.S. Years" CD version from the mid-90s. The new remaster is a little louder, but a little clearer too. I mostly like it for the expanded booklet/liner notes, which is one area where R.E.M. tends to do a good job.

I'll be interested to see how the Fables remaster compares to the old CD. I don't have the "I.R.S. Years" version of that, so I don't know if that one is any better than the original. Plus, Fables has always been one of the murkier-sounding releases.

Note that if you preorder on Amazon, you are guaranteed to get the release-day price if it goes lower, which it often does. My copy of the Reckoning remaster (currently $26.99) ended up costing only $14.99.

These are a little louder, but not painfully so (unlike the unfortunate "And I Feel Fine" set that came out a few years ago--I can't even listen to those discs). They don't sound "clipped" like the "And I Feel Fine" remastered greatest hits record, but it is definitely louder.

I have the remastered Reckoning and the "I.R.S. Years" CD version from the mid-90s. The new remaster is a little louder, but a little clearer too. I mostly like it for the expanded booklet/liner notes, which is one area where R.E.M. tends to do a good job.

I'll be interested to see how the Fables remaster compares to the old CD. I don't have the "I.R.S. Years" version of that, so I don't know if that one is any better than the original. Plus, Fables has always been one of the murkier-sounding releases.

Note that if you preorder on Amazon, you are guaranteed to get the release-day price if it goes lower, which it often does. My copy of the Reckoning remaster (currently $26.99) ended up costing only $14.99.

Thanks, I forgot that I had "And I Feel Fine" but that was what scared me off of these remasters, that thing is awful. They ruined Accelerate which maybe has the best batch of R.E.M. songs since Automatic with that crazy loud mastering too.

Fables could stand a remastering and maybe a remxing too as long as it's tasteful; as you said, it is a pretty murky record. I'm scared to think what the remasters' will do to Pageant and Document as they are loud to begin with.

I'll probably pick this up for the bonus disk anyway, I'm surprised they didn't include Theme From Two Steps onward which was played a ton on the Reconstruction tours.

This is all well and good but will we have the 30th and 35th anniversary re-issues as well? It is getting to be a bit of a joke now with everyone re-issuing stuff left, right and centre. REM is one of the bands I would reconsider my position for though.

This is all well and good but will we have the 30th and 35th anniversary re-issues as well? It is getting to be a bit of a joke now with everyone re-issuing stuff left, right and centre. REM is one of the bands I would reconsider my position for though.

It is amazing. This is the second re-master series for them - is that right?

I don't think anyone has beat the number of times Elvis Costello has re-issued his catalog though.

Bowie!

That is right. I have the Rykodisc versions.

I always thought Can’t Get There From Here did not fit on Fables Of The Reconstruction. I have never really cared for that song.

It seems like some jazz records gets remastered/remixed/reissued every 6 months.

The Murmur reissue does sound good. I will probably end up getting Fables, since I think it is my favorite REM album.

It is amazing. This is the second re-master series for them - is that right?

I don't think anyone has beat the number of times Elvis Costello has re-issued his catalog though.

Their old label I.R.S. did a reissue series of the I.R.S. albums (called "The I.R.S. Years") in the mid-1990s that included bonus tracks, but the jury was split as to whether there was any remastering done or if it was just a repackage with the bonus tracks.

Murmur and Reckoning were remastered and reissued in the mid-90s by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (the "gold discs") as well.

And then Warner Bros. reissued all the WB records on DVD-A a few years ago with 5.1 surround sound mixes.

Yeah, seeing as how none of these records has ever been out of print, I'd say it's getting out of hand.

I feel your pain. As I have said before, I have bought some cds 3 or 4 times.

I have always liked Fables Of The Reconstruction (the second R.E.M. album I ever heard - Life's Rich Pageant was the first - both on original vinyl pressings.)

I've never heard any of the other re-issues. I recall when they came out, as there was discussion about the cds around here.

It seems to me what we are seeing these days is the so-called "deluxe re-issue".