• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone followed the rules, there was nothing wrong with how that played out. The guy made a smart, albeit morally questionable decision that saved his team in desperation. What he did had penalties, and he dealt with them accordingly. They shouldn't have changed that to a goal.

You say leaning into a pitch is not comparable to players attempting to bend the rules to their advantage in soccer, and then you suggest that a defensive player playing the would-be game-winning goal in a World Cup quarterfinal on the goal line with his hand is comparable to a player tackling a defensive end going for a sack. You're rationalizing.

I would have used the example of a cornerback tackling a receiver about to blow by him on a route, but I had already used that one before. Matt (the Z) hit on the same things I was thinking.

I would have used the example of a cornerback tackling a receiver about to blow by him on a route, but I had already used that one before. Matt (the Z) hit on the same things I was thinking.

I can see that. I still think the soccer situation is a little worse, if only because it was the last play of the game in a World Cup quarterfinal. Obviously, if the Ghana player had made the free kick, the point would be moot, but he didn't so it's not.

I really don't care that much about it, but I feel bad for Ghana. I disagree with bobbob that it was a smart play because I believe how you win is as important as whether you win, and that was a bad, bad way to win.

Here comes the Eighty Years War grudge match!

Spain will win, I'm willing to put down 100 fake internet dollars to that effect. If nothing else, they have the best football kit in the whole of the competition.

http://www.soccerbible.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/football-shirts.features/spain_5F00_away_5F00_team_5F00_1.jpg

actually, it's their away kit - but it still looks cool

If Uruguay had not cheated, they would have lost. They had the opportunity to win because they cheated, which is not the same as winning because they cheated, but it's close.

Look, Uruguay reverted to type for them. If you can't win, cheat. That's been their style for years and a little good press this time around all wet out the window when Suarez handled the ball.

Like Germany against England. Disgusting and embarrassing if you like me are cursed with a German passport.

Were you even watching the same game? Germany could have been 4 goals up by the time Fat Frankie's hopeful slash went in off the bar. The to compound matters the Germans took the English apart and won handsomely.

Adidas stripes are a dime a dozen.

Ask Johan Cryuff. He pulled off one of the stripes on his shirts back in the 70's cause he didn't want to be sponsored by Adidas.

Were you even watching the same game? Germany could have been 4 goals up by the time Fat Frankie's hopeful slash went in off the bar. The to compound matters the Germans took the English apart and won handsomely.

you know, i agree we were shit, but, saying the german's could have been 4 goals up by the time of the disallowed goal means nothing at all - unless the 4 goals they should have been up went in the back of the net and then were not counted. 2-2 would have been very very different, and the game could have gone in england's favour, there's no way really of knowing that. it also wasn't a hopeful slash, it was a very good shot - the only one he made in the whole tournament. i think the chances would have been, if they'd allowed the goal, that we'd have gone another goal down, but i doubt 2 more would have gone in, and then we might have had a few minutes of playing well like we did in the first half, then who knows?...