• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USA! USA! USA!

:usa :usa :usa

We are through! Let's celebrate! Very proud of the whole US team. We aren't as skillful or as technically good as others but we lead in commitment, assertiveness and desire. How fitting we should win in extra time. In every game thus far we have never given up. I don't care if we play Serbia, Ghana, or Germany - I feel we always have a chance. I am sure there a lot of neutrals and people in our own country who have been turned on by these performances too. As individuals and as a collective the humility and down-to-earth attitude of our team stands in such stark contrast to so many other teams in soccer and other sports.

I believe he's in the upper right, peeking over someone else's head.

Haha, I have to admit that I chuckled about that. You can be the biggest star in America, but you still have to stand on your tippy toes to get in the pic. :)

(I say that as someone who is 5'9" (and a HALF!))

Incredible world cup for upsets. First France, now Italy. Spain not safe yet. And England have blown their chance of the easiest imaginable route to the semi-finals. But as a Welshman I can get enjoyment with any result, and they've shown themselves to be such a shambolic bunch of overpaid morons I don't have any respect for them either way. USA on the other hand have shown refreshing endeavour and enthusiasm.

Score should be 4-3 Italy....the ball was over the line on the one shot and the one that was called offsides was definitely on. It's ok, Slovakia will lose in the knockout stage and Italy will come back with a vengeance for the Euro 12.

Strange you could make that call even though none of the camera angles showed it conclusively over the line.

Considering it bounced off of his right knee and his right knee was over the line, I can make the conclusion that the ball had to pass over the line in order to bounce off his knee.

Considering it bounced off of his right knee and his right knee was over the line, I can make the conclusion that the ball had to pass over the line in order to bounce off his knee.

The ball has to COMPLETELY cross the line. His knee wasn't a ball's width (so to speak) behind the line.

Not long for the red-tops to gear up to this one (the gutter press not the England team in their red strip) but they're doing their best in wheeling out the Hun puns. Meanwhile, more nutty than rabid:-

English-Dalek_280_1073052a.jpg

The vuvuzela in place of the plunger is a nice touch.

With the favorites :rolleyes England and the US out now who is everyones pick. The last eight are set with 3 of the four ties being Europe vs South America. Ghana is the sole African representative with a favorable draw to get to the Semis.

I think the Semis will be Brazil v Ghana and Spain v Germany. Ensuring that Europe will have a chance to, for the first time, win a World Cup out side of Europe.

On a side note I was watching the US Ghana game at packed bar and was rooting for Ghana. I do live in the US, but I do not think that is enough for me to blindly support a team, much less one, that in my opinion was clearly inferior. After the game I was called a d-bag, right to my face. I am not a big sports person outside of soccer, so I was just wondering if this was regular occurrence at sports bars when people are rooting for different teams and one loses.

On a side note I was watching the US Ghana game at packed bar and was rooting for Ghana. I do live in the US, but I do not think that is enough for me to blindly support a team, much less one, that in my opinion was clearly inferior. After the game I was called a d-bag, right to my face. I am not a big sports person outside of soccer, so I was just wondering if this was regular occurrence at sports bars when people are rooting for different teams and one loses.

Oh yeah, dude. Unfortantly only being called a d-bag is probably getting off lightly. Root for whomever you want, but you have to be careful if everyone else around you is pulling for the other team. It would be like booing a Wilco song (well a Wilco song that isn't on Wilco The Album) at a Wilco concert.

--Mike

I'm not defending how you were treated but if it were me, and I was an american living in England at a sports bar during the the england germany match rooting for germany (because i couldn't blindly route for a team that was clearly inferior) I would expect to be called a douche bag.

PS: Brazil over Germany 2-1

With the favorites :rolleyes England and the US out now who is everyones pick. The last eight are set with 3 of the four ties being Europe vs South America. Ghana is the sole African representative with a favorable draw to get to the Semis.

I think the Semis will be Brazil v Ghana and Spain v Germany. Ensuring that Europe will have a chance to, for the first time, win a World Cup out side of Europe.

I'm betting you're smart enough not to cheer for Celtic in a Rangers pub.

I would also like to say that I was not alone in supporting Ghana, but it was only a handful of us.

I'm betting you're smart enough not to cheer for Celtic in a Rangers pub.

No way I would ever do that, after living with a Rangers fan for a 6 months. Also one of my best friends was in Manchester when Rangers played Zeit in the UEFA Cup. He walked out side in a Celtic green top. He was not thinking and the only thing that saved him was his American accent. He went home and changed.