who do you think needs to be remastered?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warehouse is a Husker Du album. Do you mean Workbook?

Yup. Sorry, I meant Workbook. The disc is really thin sounding, imo. But a Warehouse remaster would be great too!

An example of remasters done perfectly are the recent REM ones. I am still in awe what they did to Murmur. It sounds just amazing!

There is something to be said for the remasters of CDs that were originally released in the 80s in particular. I remember when CD technology was new, and I was NOT impressed. Sure, they were portable (and of course, we were all told "They'll last forever" lol), but so many of them had that thin, tinny sound that made us appreciate vinyl much more. I recall, in particular, the shitty CD of Dire Straits' Making Movies. God, that was a piece of crap. I never made it through the whole thing, and just went back to listening to the record.

i think Dylan the album not being out of print will happen eventually - cos he's gonna die eventually. i don't even know what his problem with it is, it's got a couple of fantastic songs on it - which is something that can't be said about his last album.

i didnt realise New morning was part of the 2009 batch.

as for the Dylan album, dont hold your breath. its columbia's revenge album after he left the label, and they called "a fool such as i". i found a mint copy on vinyl a few years back for only $8.

come to think of it, Saved needs to be remastered too

as for the Dylan album, dont hold your breath. its columbia's revenge album after he left the label, and they called "a fool such as i". i found a mint copy on vinyl a few years back for only $8.

well it was actually released on cd, it's just out of print. which means it's not just a case of them doing it to piss dylan off, unless they wanted to piss him off twice - once when it first came out and again when it was issued on cd. it's also available on itunes - and is linked from there on his official website - so it just makes no sense why it's not on cd.

I never knew it was released on cd. I think I got the cassette I have sometime in the early 1990s.

yeah, in 1991. i actually saw it once for only a few pounds and didn't buy it - which is madness - it's worth a fair bit now.

http://www.amazon.co...79468633&sr=8-1

there ya go - just to prove it did come out.

i think all this, and the fact that it is even available for download on itunes, makes it strange why it's the only cd of his out of print.

• 3 months later...

I hope we get something besides extended re-mix bonus tracks this time around.

Queen Signs To Universal, Preps Remastered Albums

British band Queen has signed to Universal Music Group after nearly 40 years with EMI, and preparations are under way for the release of remastered versions of Queen's studio albums in 2011.

The switch, first reported in May and confirmed today (Nov. 8), is a blow to EMI, which has lost artists of the stature of the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and Radiohead since the group was taken over by private equity firm Terra Firma in 2007.

Terra Firma boss Guy Hands also lost a court case in New York last week in which he accused Citigroup Inc of tricking him into overpaying for EMI. He may yet be forced to hand the record company over to the bank.

Queen's Universal deal covers the world outside North America, and the band will appear on the Island Records label from Jan. 1, 2011. Queen's U.S. releases have been issued by Hollywood Records.

"We are very excited, after all this time, to be embarking on a new phase of our career -- with a new record company, with new ideas, and new dreams," said Queen guitarist Brian May.

The group's flamboyant original lead singer Freddie Mercury died in 1991 and Queen was never again the popular force it once was. But Queen's decision to move labels comes on the eve of what could be a lucrative time for the band, which celebrates its 40th anniversary next year.

Island Records is already preparing 40th anniversary remasters of the group's catalog that includes global hits like "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Crazy Little Thing Called Love," "We Are The Champions" and "Another One Bites The Dust."

During 2011, Island will remaster and repackage each of Queen's 15 studio albums and also offer additional content. The first five albums will be made available in March -- "Queen," "Queen II," "Sheer Heart Attack," "A Night At The Opera" and "A Day At The Races."

"We aim to apply fresh thinking and innovation to the marketing and promotion of this great body of work," said Universal Music Group International COO Max Hole.

Universal Music Group co-CEO Lucian Grainge added: "Queen rewrote the rock & roll rule book 40 years ago, and you can count at least three generations of artists who are under their influence. So now we're under their influence at Universal Music, and looking forward to writing chapters together for the new rule book."

Other events celebrating the band next year include a BBC television documentary and the production of a Hollywood film about them, starring comedian Sacha Baron Cohen as Mercury.

According to Universal, Queen has sold more than 170 million albums worldwide.

The Jim Carroll Band's 3 albums. the cds are crazy hard to find and those vinyl rips are pretty rough to listen to. fortunately, I've come across vinyl copies of their first 2 albums. some demos, outtakes, etc. would also be lovely.

I had heard nothing about this until a few minutes ago:

Damn the Torpedoes deluxe reissue

Refugee

Here Comes My Girl

Even the Losers

Shadow of a Doubt (A Complex Kid)

Century City

Don't Do Me Like That

You Tell Me

What Are You Doin' in My Life?

Louisiana Rain

BONUS TRACKS