California Stars...

I had never seen this before...very fracking cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lnf0hmj6l0

Wow, this is a really joyful performance. They all look so happy--Jeff is positively beaming!

I saw Billy Bragg in concert here in Norfolk just before the Obama election. Maybe it was the moment:--the sense that the tide was finally about to turn--but there was something really special about that concert. Billy was very political and energetic that night. Great vibes in a very intimate setting.

But I digress. . . A question for the board: Wilco Spain consistently has some of the best quality videos around. I assume there's a story behind this strong connection between Spain and Wilco. Anybody care to enlighten us?

Thank you for posting 'California Stars'. Watching it made me very happy. Joy, that's why I am a music fan.

Guest Speed Racer

It looks like a downloadable DVD taped off of a television broadcast. The sidebar to the right links to dimeadozen.org, a popular torrent site. Looks like the In A Future Age section of Via Chicago links to this DVD as well. The case you see is probably just a display of the artwork you can also download if you want to make your own case.

• 1 year later...

But I digress. . . A question for the board: Wilco Spain consistently has some of the best quality videos around. I assume there's a story behind this strong connection between Spain and Wilco. Anybody care to enlighten us?

Last week there was a fine report/interview with Jeff Tweedy in Spain's most important newspaper (http://www.elpais.com/articulo/portada/musica/tiempo/elpepuculbab/20110910elpbabpor_3/Tes). When the journalist asks Jeff what does he think about the reasons for Wilco's success in Spain he answers: "I've thought much on that, I think there is a hint of sadness in all Wilco does, the same - in a sense- of Spanish people when they look at the world, an underlying melancholy, It is not pessimism, rather a distrust in human condition, a certainty that, sooner or later, all will get f*****d."

Another gem: "love is fine but what really unites (people) is hate"