Band Guarantees

Guest Speed Racer

for one show? spot on? are you serious?

their best days are far behind them.

They received $1,000,000 for their show. That means they can ask $1,000,000. What's there to discuss?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven Tyler is in hot water in Concord, New Hampshire. He was supposed to play 9 months ago An Intimate Evening With (blah blah blah) at the same venue that Wilco played in April of this year. Basically, it sounded like nothing special. "An evening of words and music and multimedia fronted by Steven Tyler" aka 2 songs if those folks were lucky.

The big smack in the face of the people who ran this event is the fact that the tickets purchased were donations to a local children's charity. Since the show never happened and it doesn't look like it will with him being on American Idol, the people are holding onto the money so that they don't have to give out "refunds" and they don't want to donate it because there was no show as promised.

According to a local newspaper, the figure of $10,000 is hanging in limbo until they have a firm commitment from Tyler to reschedule.

Edit: Only a Facebook page remains for an advertisement: An Evening With Steven Tyler January 23, 2010

I know a lot of people on this board don't have much respect for Tyler, but I have seen Aerosmith recently - I put a link to my review of the show in our After The Show forum - and those old guys can still bring it. Nothing farcical that night.

Guns 'N Roses, on the other hand...

ETA: I understand. Sounds like the "people" (I suppose this means the promoter?) is being the dick here. Not that he should have cancelled, but c'mon.

I don't get that at all. It's almost like being swindled to donate money to a charity with a pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow that is never shown. The paper (which sadly is not online) said that a big part of the costs that they might not recover are ones for advertising which is not known if it is included in the $10,000 figure given.

If I was someone who "purchased" a ticket to see Tyler go on about his life and sing 2 songs and he didn't commit to that then I'd be pretty upset about it and I would want my money back. I understand that it was a donation, but it's like giving a girl scout $5 and you don't get Samoas. Sorry that's the best analogy I can come up with. :blink We're talking about paying $200 for VIP tickets and whatever was promised with that.

Edit:

I guess the sad truth is that people need something like that in return to donate "big" to a decent local charity for children of your home state.

I don't think $1,000,000 is unreasonable for one performance by Aerosmith. I just don't see why it's so much higher than Rush, who have been riding the biggest wave of their career for the past few years (12th highest grossing tour of 2008 according to Pollstar, new documentary, huge selling new releases on cd and dvd). Contrast that with Aerosmith, who have had to resort to co-headline gigs in recent years.

Guest Speed Racer

if my tax $ went to pay for Tyler's drug habits, i'd be pissed off.

a) Awesome cheap shot to someone whose current drug habits you aren't aware of! :w00t I have a ton of respect for people who do that! Can you tell me what, exactly, those habits consist of today, September 2, 2010?

b ) You do realize that, statistically speaking, your tax money subsidizes lots of drug habits, cigarette, alcohol and junk food purchases for the thousands (millions) of salaries your taxes support, right?

c) Aerosmith was an act that people had to purchase tickets to see. The Fair is getting much of that $1,000,000 back, otherwise it would not be cost-effective to book a band like Aerosmith. There will be a Fair next year, right? Or did booking Aerosmith run them into the ground?

a ) glad to hear i've got yr respect. it's about damned time.

b ) winner of the most specious correlation award. try harder next time

c ) "I am writing about the Grandstand concerts at this year’s New York State Fair. You reported that half the tickets for the Aerosmith concert remained unsold two days before the concert. Except for Justin Bieber, the other shows aren’t selling all that well, either.

Even if the show is a sellout there won’t be much money for anyone other than Aerosmith. If the total take were $1.6 million, the band would get more than $1.3 million of it, according to The Post-Standard’s calculations."

Guest Speed Racer

b ) winner of the most specious correlation award. try harder next time

Specious? Hardly. Do you think all government workers only buy health foods and roses?

Re: c) So there's not going to be a State Fair next year because of Aerosmith? :(

Oh! And were you going to PM me that list of drugs he's currently using? Or post it here?

Guest Speed Racer

My point is that the difference is imagined. Or, rather, an issue of personal preference. Joe Perry and Joey Kramer both have a passion for sports cars which, while they were sober, has nearly killed them both. What the fuck is Bieber spending his money on? Rhianna? Proportionally speaking, she's cleaning up compared to Aerosmith. I can't imagine that Rush's money goes only to necessary expenses. John Popper is an admitted compulsive overeater, but I don't give a rat's ass what he does with his state money.

Each of these acts is providing a service to the state of New York that the state of New York feels it cannot provide to its citizens. There are so many ways governments waste money, I simply cannot get my panties in a knot about the musical acts a state fair books; in fact, I think that it serves a greater public service than a lot of other ways I can think of.

you really can't figure out the difference between state money being spent on a state-sponsored activity, and state workers spending their payroll as they please?

the word on the street is that Tyler was highly influenced by this clip

hey, wait wouldn't tyler be considered a state worker? And why wouldn't he be allowed to spend his pay the way he likes? and since when are drugs not considered a necessary expense for a rock and roll star? and what is my point anyway?

I rather sit through 17 Blues Traveler concerts than have to see Beiber...

$15k vs 250K wowie!

Also can't figure out how Lady Antbellum is $75k and Rhianna is over $400k? I don't like either but isn't the Lady Antebellum album one of the best selling of 2010!?

Our band once got paid $750 for a gig which I thought was complete robbery and embarrasing, but I took it (yes, we are that bad).

Can't say I have liked anything Aerosmith did since the 70's but one listen to "Rocks"and I remember why this band matters. For awhile in the early 80's, Rocks and Live Bootleg were all we listened to.

Also can't figure out how Lady Antbellum is $75k and Rhianna is over $400k? I don't like either but isn't the Lady Antebellum album one of the best selling of 2010!?

Rihanna has way more fans than LA, not to mention she has multiple chart hits vs one crappy one for antebellum.

And anyone who can't understand why Aerosmith gets 2x Rush's fee needs their head checked, seriously. They have so much more mainstream appeal it's incomparable.

that said, I'm surprised at some of these fees - much higher than I would have ever thought...

And anyone who can't understand why Aerosmith gets 2x Rush's fee needs their head checked, seriously. They have so much more mainstream appeal it's incomparable.

Pretty sure I layed out my reasoning. Thanks for the insult, though, friend. That was a nice touch.

sorry, that was a tad aggro - my apologies

No problem. :cheers

I don't know the details of the NY State Fair. Is Aeromith doing a headline show and Rush doing a shorter show than they normally do? Or are they both doing headline shows?