Top 200 songs of the 90's

I know everybody hates Pitchfork or whatever but I do find their lists interesting. Wilco made the list at #74 with Via Chicago. Gold Soundz at #1 was a surprise. And some of the songs ahead of Smells like teen spirit were odd choices, like Say it ain't so by Weezer? No way.

Top 200 of the 90's

Guest Speed Racer

I was pleasantly surprised by Gold Soundz! I don't know that it was the song of the decade to anyone but Pitchfork, but it is their list after all. A fine song, that one.

I thought the list was great until the final 20, when there was a lot of headscratching. If Weezer was going to be on the list in the Top 20, I think it should have been Undone or Buddy Holly.

Guest Speed Racer

Thanks! I missed the parameters the first time because I thought it was just 5 paragraphs of Pitchfork self-congratulatory crap. Turns out it was, with three or four helpful sentences.

I still think Undone or Buddy Holly should have been on the list in lieu of Say It Ain't So, though. Glad Missy Elliot made an appearance, too.

Thanks! I missed the parameters the first time because I thought it was just 5 paragraphs of Pitchfork self-congratulatory crap. Turns out it was, with three or four helpful sentences.

I still think Undone or Buddy Holly should have been on the list in lieu of Say It Ain't So, though. Glad Missy Elliot made an appearance, too.

Agree on Missy Elliot. Was also glad to see that Aaliyah song on there. I must have played that over and over when it came out and even bought the Dr. Doolittle soundtrack just for that song. Oh, back in the days when you bought entire albums just for one song.

Was also glad to see that Aaliyah song on there.

Me too - hand on my heart, I listened to that song a few weeks ago and the thought occurred to me: Is this the best song of that decade?

Good top ten - Loser totally deserves a spot in there, and Common People at #2? Excellent.

Yawn.

Of the songs from the list that I actually know, maybe a dozen deserve to be there. The rest ... no way in hell.

In my opinion, of course. ;)

Also: I very much dig "Say It Ain't So." It'd be on my list.

Yeah, the list isn't that great and reeks of posturing. How can they not have Smells Like Teen Spirit as #1? I am pretty sure that's a gimme on an list from the 90's. I like the whole concept of only one song but...Weezer being ahead of Nirvana, no way.

Yeah, the list isn't that great and reeks of posturing. How can they not have Smells Like Teen Spirit as #1? I am pretty sure that's a gimme on an list from the 90's. I like the whole concept of only one song but...Weezer being ahead of Nirvana, no way.

I would put Say it Ain't So ahead of Smells Like Teen Spirit. Plus, Weezer's blue album meant a whole lot more to me then than Nevermind.

I would put Say it Ain't So ahead of Smells Like Teen Spirit. Plus, Weezer's blue album meant a whole lot more to me then than Nevermind.

I loved both albums but Pinkerton had a more personal impact even more than those two records, but that's me. That said, Nevermind and that one song has more influence culturally and musically than anything Weezer has ever and probably will ever do. It simply changed everything whereas Weezer just made me really happy and had two damn fine albums, one of which I personally rank higher than Nirvana.

However, it doesn't change the fact that Nirvana is still fucking Nirvana...If you get what I'm saying. Whatever my personal feelings are, when though about objectively, I don't believe when discussing the 90's that there should be any other result.

I loved both albums but Pinkerton had a more personal impact even more than those two records, but that's me. That said, Nevermind and that one song has more influence culturally and musically than anything Weezer has ever and probably will ever do. It simply changed everything whereas Weezer just made me really happy and had two damn fine albums, one of which I personally rank higher than Nirvana.

However, it doesn't change the fact that Nirvana is still fucking Nirvana...If you get what I'm saying. Whatever my personal feelings are, when though about objectively, I don't believe when discussing the 90's that there should be any other result.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it all comes back to the age-old question when making lists such as these. Is the goal to come up with your favorites or what you consider to be the best? And does something that is highly influential or important automatically make it "the best"?

I think there is room for both viewpoints, which leads to interesting and fun discussions. There is no "right" or more objective answer.

I agree that Smells like teen spirit should not be #1. It was a game changer and all but not even the best Nirvana song by any stretch. But it should have been ahead of many others. At least in the top 10. I'm pretty happy with Gold Soundz being #1 though. I am bringing a friend to the Pavement show on Thursday and he has never heard them (I know, weird). I had sent him Gold Soundz as the epitome of what the band sounds like. That Aaliyah song does represent the 90's pretty well although not really something I listened to. You can't really escape the Timbaland influence on that decade of music.

This list is hilarious. Should be re-titled "Top 200 Songs of the 90's in an Obscurely Sexy Order". I considered myself pretty familiar with 90's music being a teen through most of the decade but apparently I'm not so familiar. I had never even heard the #12 song or even the artist but after listening it's pretty clear that was one of the best song of an entire decade. :stunned

:lol

i can't believe that they think Kim Deal wrote a better song than Bob Pollard (Cannonball vs Game of Pricks).

if you don't want to keep clicking new pages, here's a one-stop shopping experience:

http://tacim.blogspot.com/2010/09/pitchfork-top-200-tracks-of-1990s.html

too much hip-hop/pop for my tastes...surprisingly riot grrl stuff gets a lot of props too. i can't begin to remember the last time i played that "Her Jazz" record from Huggy Bear.

was pretty psyched to this, though...brilliant song from a band w/ a lot of them:

135. Super Furry Animals - Ice Hockey Hair

i haven't heard 18 of the top 50. hell, i have never heard that Aaliyah song.