Breaking news: Lou Reed Snubs Susan Boyle!

No, it actually is close to what's going on here. He is still exercising the choice not to let certain people consume his art, because in this instance, he does have a choice.

I think what Crow said - that it's foolish to try to control that kind of thing (even if, as in this instance, you can) - still stands.

I don't see how it's that difference to license it for America's Got Talent than for AT&T, but I'm not Lou Reed.

If by consume, you mean the audience doesn't get to hear a cover version of his song.

I could be wrong since I'm not an entertainment lawyer, but I don't believe "consume" is synonymous with "perform a cover version on a game show."

Is the AT&T ad the original version of the song? Maybe he only wants his version out there, and not a remake.

I think it should be up to the individual to decide what is and isn't foolish when it comes to the licensing of their work. I don't think you can apply a concept such as foolishness in a blanket way.

Who the hell is Susan Boyle, anyway?

Last years Justin Guarini.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like we're arguing a hypothetical, since it was a licensing issue, right?

That being said, I fail to see how licensing his song for a commercial and developing that association is better or a wiser use of his intellectual property than letting a singer cover it on a television show. So, I agree with Sex Nap and Crow, it is foolish.

Nobody is arguing the legality of him doing it.

Guest Speed Racer

Maybe he only wants his version out there, and not a remake.

If so, he ought to tell that to all the other people who recorded their cover versions of his song: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_Day

I could be wrong since I'm not an entertainment lawyer, but I don't believe "consume" is synonymous with "perform a cover version on a game show."

I think it should be up to the individual to decide what is and isn't foolish when it comes to the licensing of their work. I don't think you can apply a concept such as foolishness in a blanket way.

I'm certainly not talking about legal terms here; I don't know about anyone else. To me, someone who consumes "Perfect Day" is someone who hears or sings the song. Period. On a game show, wearing Day-Glo, on a train, in a plane. Lou doesn't always get to decide who hears "Perfect Day," but he does get to decide who performs it on television or publishes their version. I'm not at all taking away his right to license his song, but his decisions are a lot like his music - once they're out there, we pretty much get to do with them what we like. Like call him a twat.

It seems like we're arguing a hypothetical, since it was a licensing issue, right?

That being said, I fail to see how licensing his song for a commercial and developing that association is better or a wiser use of his intellectual property than letting a singer cover it on a television show. So, I agree with Sex Nap and Crow, it is foolish.

Nobody is arguing the legality of him doing it.

Yes, everythig I've posted in this thread is based on a hypothetical scenario, as I don't know what the facts are.

Foolish is defined by Merriam-Webster as lacking in sense, judgment, or discretion.

In my hypothetical version of this horrible, horrible scandal, I'd argue the artist was using his discretion by denying the rights to perform his song. Perhaps he doesn't like televised song and dance game shows, and does like when people sing his songs on their own albums. That's a judgment he's made, and by definition, that is not foolish.

If he holds the power over the commercial use of his song, and allows one use and not another, he is not being foolish. Perhaps one could make a strong case that it's twatty, but it's not foolish.

He was 2000's Christopher Atkins.

Is he more like Daughtry or Bo Bice?

Guest Speed Racer

That's a judgment he's made, and by definition, that is not foolish.

If he holds the power over the commercial use of his song, and allows one use and not another, he is not being foolish. Perhaps one could make a strong case that it's twatty, but it's not foolish.

Unless, of course, his judgment lacks sense and/or discretion.

If I'm right about this story, Susan Boyle said she'd not sing another song and so went home. Am I right about that? If I am, then this is the only person with integrity I can see. Even if she is bad to listen to.

Look at this pile of shit Lou made to promote the BBC And, you need to understand here, the BBC is funded in the UK by paying a license fee, which is mandatory for anyone owning a tv in a house, therefore we funded it - for what reason? Do you really need to promote a channel that you have to pay for whether you watch it or not? The c$£t!

Who the hell is Susan Boyle, anyway?

Someone whose debut album sold more than 9 million copies, which I am guessing is a whole lot more than the entire Velvet's catalog has sold. (And it's interesting that Mick and Keith were OK with her recording "Wild Horses.")

According to wikipedia, "In May 2010, Susan Boyle was voted by Time magazine as the seventh most influential person in the world, fourteen places above US President Barack Obama, who received one fifth of her votes, and fifty seven above French President Nicolas Sarkozy."

I am not conflating popularity with quality (and I consider Lou one of my musical heroes) but 1) it appears Lou had nothing to do with this and 2) I'm guessing Ms. Boyle will get over it pretty quickly.

Guest Speed Racer

Again, that's only true if "sense" and "discretion" are concepts that can be applied in a blanket way.

Well, it can't be certain either way. Lou thought it was reasonable and bleedorange thought it was foolish. Don't see why you'd need a dictionary for that.

What if Lou Reed thought it was foolish too, but still went ahead and done it? You're not gonna tell me he didn't know Metal Machine Music was foolish, but he still went ahead and made it! So, you see, he had set a precedent right there.

Did Reed think Metal Machine Music was foolish? I've never heard it described that way, or heard him speak of it in that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Susan Boyle putting Lou Reed song on album

Sept. 22, 2010, 4:46 PM EST

Susan Boyle has recorded the song she was prevented from performing on TV.

The Scottish sensation was crushed that she couldn't perform Lou Reed's "Perfect Day" on a recent "America's Got Talent" episode. Representatives for Lou Reed have said it was a licensing glitch.

But the singer is getting the last laugh: The anthem is set to be the lead song on her second album, "The Gift."

Boyle's last album, "I Dreamed a Dream," was the world's biggest-selling album of 2009, and has sold almost 9 million copies to date.

There is s certain mad genius to Metal Machine Music. Not everybody's cup of tea for sure, but there is a certain (if we believe Reed's subsequent statements about it) accidental genuis feel to it. It is as least as imaginative a realease as Neil Young's ARC but more daring as it was well beyond anything that had ever been attempted.

• 1 month later...

Earlier this year, "Britain's Got Talent" darling Susan Boyle flew all the way out to L.A. from the United Kingdom and left her poor cat Pebbles at home, just to perform her cover of Lou Reed's "Perfect Day" on a results-show episode of "America's Got Talent." But when she got there, she learned she would not be allowed to sing the song after all. The official explanation for this snub was some sort of last-minute copyright/clearance issue, but rumor mills on both sides of the pond went into overdrive with allegations that Lou had just forbidden to have his cool 1972 pre-punk classic mangled by the matronly opera singer. Lou denied such reports, of course, but the damage to his reputation was done. Millions of SuBo supporters were peeved that Lou had messed with Scotland's sweetheart. Well, now Susan has released a video for her "Perfect Day" cover (off her upcoming new album The Gift), and guess what? Put this in the truth-is-way-stranger-than-fiction file: According to a Sony Music rep, SuBo took "creative direction" from the Velvet Underground legend himself when shooting the video, so Lou Reed has been given co-director credit on the clip.

What a nice guy! I'll refrain from posting the video but it's at this site if you are interested.

Boyle video