Albums you shouldn't like, but you do

Really? The only songs I think are typical hip hop bragging shit are the last two. Tracks 1-6 are some of the best material I've heard this year, but the second half is still strong in terms of lyrical content.

The bragging shit is what keeps me away from most hip hop. But the Roots tend to minimize that enough that I can really respect Black Thought' (and others') talent.

maybe it is only the last two? i just think in general it falls off halfway through

Yeah, I thought that too. The quality of the first six songs is so high but it does seem to fall off a bit at the end. Still a great album though.

I am trying to find similar artists in Hip-Hop that I might like. I love guys like Mos Def, Kweli, Common etc but haven't found any new artists in a while. Anyone got any recommendations (a new thread perhaps). I can't be doing with the aforementioned bragging hip-hop. I like the socially conscious stuff.

I would agree. But it's still my #1 album of 2010. If those first six songs were spread out a bit more, the second half wouldn't seem inferior at all. As is, they're great songs overshadowed by a run of phenomenal songs.

there ya go! you heard the john legend/roots album? that is awesome.

there ya go! you heard the john legend/roots album? that is awesome.

Yup. Really diggin' that one lately. It's nice to hear the Roots more free to let themselves go. They're one of, if not the most talented bands out there, and Wake Up has some great examples of that. I'd never listened to John Legend, but he delivers some killer vocal performances. The vocals on Compared To What are unreal. And I Can't Write Left Handed is 100% :w00t

I'd love to hear more ______ & the Roots albums like that. Great as the arrangements of Roots songs usually are, it's nice to hear what else they can do.

Yup. Really diggin' that one lately. It's nice to hear the Roots more free to let themselves go. They're one of, if not the most talented bands out there, and Wake Up has some great examples of that. I'd never listened to John Legend, but he delivers some killer vocal performances. The vocals on Compared To What are unreal. And I Can't Write Left Handed is 100% :w00t

I'd love to hear more ______ & the Roots albums like that. Great as the arrangements of Roots songs usually are, it's nice to hear what else they can do.

that song 'wake up' is great. so positive.

i was shocked by john legend's vocals on the album. made me check out his solo stuff. it's good

I've heard other Roots albums that I enjoy more than The Tipping Point. I'm not sure why that's the one that comes out...maybe it's the nostalgia of events that took place during the time in which I first heard it. So I guess my choice fits. Speaking of hip-hop/rap groups with way better albums than the one I listen to...

61J8NHK5P0L._SS500_.jpg

i can only listen to check your head, sometimes paul's boutique. the others do nothing for me anymore.

For me it's Check Your Head and Ill Communication. I see Paul's Boutique, at this point, as more of an impressive feat of record making than as a quality listening experience. I can't stand whatever the one was after Ill Communication, and I've never heard To the Five Boroughs.

Every time I hear a Billy Squier song, I cannot believe how much I love it. The man can write some great rock hooks. I mean: "The Stroke", "Lonely is the Night", "Everybody Wants You", "My Kind of Lover", "In the Dark", and so on. I forget just how many great songs he has. So, I'm with you on this one, cryptique.

I agree and mine falls along those lines. The Outfield????

For me it's Check Your Head and Ill Communication. I see Paul's Boutique, at this point, as more of an impressive feat of record making than as a quality listening experience. I can't stand whatever the one was after Ill Communication, and I've never heard To the Five Boroughs.

Hello Nasty. That one has about 30 minutes of good stuff among an hour plus of crud. Their low point. All the others I still dig.