• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the music and sound of Go-Go Boots. But I think what makes me REALLY like it are the stories and characters. In the liner notes, Patterson Hood explains how this cd is the "Movie Version" of characters and stories that they may or may not cave culled from real life. The music, to me, fits the songs and stories perfectly. There are some really great lyrics throughout the disc that paint a picture of real people. Many times you feel like you really understand and/or care for a character with just one well-written line:

"Hey Ricky, don't let the Diabetes get you!"

"I figured after forty years, I wouldn't still be having nightmares. You'd think that now that we're older, that war would finally be over."

"He woke up real early, but he's late for his appointment."

"I got scars on my back from the way my Daddy raised me."

Mercy Buckets is the only song with any muscle behind it. The rest of the album is fairly listless. And Shonna has certainly taken a step back. I thought she improved greatly on The Big To-Do. Her songs on Go-Go Boots are as bad as BTCD.

Muscle is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of that song, but, hey, we always have subjective to fall back on. ;)

If I'm only allowed one song to take home, I'm goin' w/ "Used to Be a Cop."

Well, I'm using muscle to mean something interesting musically. "Used to Be a Cop" isn't bad.

• 2 weeks later...

listened to TBTD today and it just flew by. today, it was a great album! santa fe is such a good song.

I've always been a average fan of DBT. I mean I own everything they have and have seen them live, but I'm not crazed about them. Anyhoo, TBTO is lost on me. I couldn't stand it when it was first released, but recently attempted to revisit it (inspired by Ryan Adams Facebook post heralding DBT as his new favorite band). I really tried to feel it, but it just seemed tired, like a tired act. I was thinking if I was going to make a best of album of DBT songs would any of these make the cut? Maybe Drag The Lake Charlie, maybe Another One? I don't know, I think I get tired of the ominous Patterson Hood songs. I get he is into some darker themes, but after a while it is tedious for me. Now i've heard real positive things about Go Go Boots, so I will continue trying.

I've always been a average fan of DBT. I mean I own everything they have and have seen them live, but I'm not crazed about them. Anyhoo, TBTO is lost on me. I couldn't stand it when it was first released, but recently attempted to revisit it (inspired by Ryan Adams Facebook post heralding DBT as his new favorite band). I really tried to feel it, but it just seemed tired, like a tired act. I was thinking if I was going to make a best of album of DBT songs would any of these make the cut? Maybe Drag The Lake Charlie, maybe Another One? I don't know, I think I get tired of the ominous Patterson Hood songs. I get he is into some darker themes, but after a while it is tedious for me. Now i've heard real positive things about Go Go Boots, so I will continue trying.

TBTD is decent, but Go-Go Boots is the worst album of their career. Even more tired and tedious.

TBTD is decent, but Go-Go Boots is the worst album of their career. Even more tired and tedious.

Just for balance, I'd like to say I think Go-Go Boots is the best DBT record since Southern Rock Opera. (The Dirty South comes close but the 2nd half doesn't match the great first half.)

Just for balance, I'd like to say I think Go-Go Boots is the best DBT record since Southern Rock Opera. (The Dirty South comes close but the 2nd half doesn't match the great first half.)

Interesting, since there isn't a song on Go-Go Boots a tenth as good as Never Gonna Change, Lookout Mountain, or Goddamn Lonely Love. Of course, any song from Go-Go Boots, if placed on The Dirty South or Decoration Day, would instantly be the worst song on its new album.

i like it. it's interesting, i think our standards are different now for good and bad music now that production has calmed down. bands that were great in the 70s were unlistenable in the 80s mostly because of horrible production (digital synth etc.) and not so much material. however, now that wilco and dbt and others are kind of coming out of their peak, their 'bad' albums aren't anywhere near say neil young's worst albums. at least they are listenable.

i like it. it's interesting, i think our standards are different now for good and bad music now that production has calmed down. bands that were great in the 70s were unlistenable in the 80s mostly because of horrible production (digital synth etc.) and not so much material. however, now that wilco and dbt and others are kind of coming out of their peak, their 'bad' albums aren't anywhere near say neil young's worst albums. at least they are listenable.

I can get behind your sentiment. When I say I can't stand a DBT record, it doesnt mean it is bad on a bad level, it just means that it is subpar for a really good band. I agree with bleedorange, song for song these new DBT records don't stack up against classics songs from past albums

The decline of DBT (at least in my eyes) has been frustrating. There was a time when Wilco and DBT were my two favorites, and the one on top was usually the one I had seen last. The decline of both has been during the same time frame, but DBT has been more worrisome because that encompasses 4 albums of subpar material rather than 2.

Interesting, since there isn't a song on Go-Go Boots a tenth as good as Never Gonna Change, Lookout Mountain, or Goddamn Lonely Love. Of course, any song from Go-Go Boots, if placed on The Dirty South or Decoration Day, would instantly be the worst song on its new album.

I'm not gonna rip on Decoration Day or Dirty South. I think they're both really good records.

I happen to think Go-Go Boots DOES have some great songs (Used To Be a Cop is one), but it's more the overall vibe and feel to the whole album that I think makes it great. It's much more laid-back than the great DBT records of the past, but I don't think that should automatically make it inferior. Hood's in top form lyrically. Cooley's maybe written better songs in the past, but his 3 old-country-sounding songs fit Go-Go Boots perfectly. Shonna's 2 songs blend in well also....her vocals "Where's Eddie" are incredible.

Go-Go Boots is okay, but it rivals TBTD as their weakest album yet. This album sounds tired. Cooley's contributions are particularly disappointing. The lyrics are fine, but the music is sort of country-by-numbers. He's usually got more energy than this. And I know this shouldn't affect my enjoyment of the songs, but it irks me that these "new" Cooley songs have been around for years. Combined with Patterson's 2 long songs about the same murder and 2 covers, and the whole thing feels sort of mailed in.

Not to bring this up yet again, but I feel like this band misses Isbell a lot more than he misses them, at least artistically.

Not to bring this up yet again, but I feel like this band misses Isbell a lot more than he misses them, at least artistically.

I think they both miss each other quite a bit. I haven't liked any of Isbell's solo stuff.