I can get behind your sentiment. When I say I can't stand a DBT record, it doesnt mean it is bad on a bad level, it just means that it is subpar for a really good band. I agree with bleedorange, song for song these new DBT records don't stack up against classics songs from past albums

right. to me, basically everything by my favorite bands is listenable. initially it was the material, but then it becomes the vibe. for example, i like neil young's vibe, so i basically can listen to anything by him. if you like the Trucker's sound and vibe, then all of their albums are pretty good. some material is better than others and this is because songwriters catch a groove and just nail it for a while and then that peters out. the big fans who dig the vibe stick with them, while many fall away. the trucker's problem is that they have way too much material and to resort to covers is completely unnecessary. i'm not sure they need isbell back in the band, but hood def over stays his welcome on some albums with some quite self-indulgent songs (The Wig He Made Her Wear). i love the production on go go boots. it's similar to Decoration Day and Dirty South. take that production and the best songs from GGB and TBTD and we'd probably have an average album. ideally, it'd be cool to see isbell back in the band and see all three songwriters contribute 3-4 gems each. then we'd have a classic vinyl length album that gets the job done!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's absolutely nothing to add to the discussion after this. A perfect take on the band.

I've always been a average fan of DBT. I mean I own everything they have and have seen them live, but I'm not crazed about them.

When I say I can't stand a DBT record, it doesnt mean it is bad on a bad level, it just means that it is subpar for a really good band. I agree with bleedorange, song for song these new DBT records don't stack up against classics songs from past albums

So which is it?

It's interesting how everyone has such varying opinions on it. I wasn't wild about TBTD. I think GGB is a step up, but not as good as BTCD. Additionally, I subscribe to the theory that the band with Jason is better than the band without Jason. However, I think BTCD shows that they are capable of making a good Truckers record without him. That album seems to polarize the fanbase, but I think it's a really good one. I do think most fans can agree that SRO -> DD -> TDS was one hell of a run for the band.

So which is it?

It's interesting how everyone has such varying opinions on it. I wasn't wild about TBTD. I think GGB is a step up, but not as good as BTCD. Additionally, I subscribe to the theory that the band with Jason is better than the band without Jason. However, I think BTCD shows that they are capable of making a good Truckers record without him. That album seems to polarize the fanbase, but I think it's a really good one. I do think most fans can agree that SRO -> DD -> TDS was one hell of a run for the band.

That was almost too good of a run...setting up unrealistic expectations. This may seem like a simplistic argument, but I wish they knew how to self-edit better. Providing a glut of material isn't always a good thing. Their last three albums over a three-year span have 47 tracks, a lot of which sound so similar. Cut that down to 30-35 and these albums wouldn't be such chores to get through.

That was almost too good of a run...setting up unrealistic expectations. This may seem like a simplistic argument, but I wish they knew how to self-edit better. Providing a glut of material isn't always a good thing. Their last three albums over a three-year span have 47 tracks, a lot of which sound so similar. Cut that down to 30-35 and these albums wouldn't be such chores to get through.

i see where you're coming from. at the same time, what's ironic for me is that BTCD doesn't seem as long as TDS or DD. go figure :)

i see where you're coming from. at the same time, what's ironic for me is that BTCD doesn't seem as long as TDS or DD. go figure :)

Well, BTCD is only 5 minutes longer than The Dirty South. I just think that as the material has gotten weaker, they need to discriminate a little more. But I'm sure we disagree on the quality of the material. :)

No, the story. I only recently read about it. The song is definitely one of Patterson's best.

same for me. also, daddy learned to fly. more of a rocker, but damn sad.

Well, BTCD is only 5 minutes longer than The Dirty South. I just think that as the material has gotten weaker, they need to discriminate a little more. But I'm sure we disagree on the quality of the material. :)

BTCD longer than TDS, didn't know that. interesting. didn't patterson have some other buford pusser songs for that album? can't imagine how much backlog the guy has as he writes about 10 tunes per incident or story.

the trucker's problem is that they have way too much material and to resort to covers is completely unnecessary.

If those covers they "resort to" are "Everybody Needs Love" and "Where's Eddie," there's some significant context with regards to the recording of Go-Go Boots - their love of Eddie Hinton and his inspiration in the conceptualization of the album. Originally, The Truckers recorded those two songs for Vols. 1 & 2 of Dangerous Highway: A Tribute To The Songs of Eddie Hinton. As a result of the project, Patterson said they were inspired to record an album with more of a soul vibe in the vein of Eddie Hinton. He felt the songs were integral to the record.

If those covers they "resort to" are "Everybody Needs Love" and "Where's Eddie," there's some significant context with regards to the recording of Go-Go Boots - their love of Eddie Hinton and his inspiration in the conceptualization of the album. Originally, The Truckers recorded those two songs for Vols. 1 & 2 of Dangerous Highway: A Tribute To The Songs of Eddie Hinton. As a result of the project, Patterson said they were inspired to record an album with more of a soul vibe in the vein of Eddie Hinton. He felt the songs were integral to the record.

right, those tunes do seem to fit. i guess my point was just that they have so much material i'm amazed that they have room in their minds for covers :lol . but, you're right, sometimes just the right cover can fit on an album. it's fun to discuss how albums cold be better with song choices and order. at the end of the day, i usually end up siding with the artist.

btw-thanks for the link to that tribute album. need to check that out.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.soundopinions.org/

DBT on sound opinions this weekend. pretty good interview. they play live in studio and also play some clips of other tunes live. don't know where these come from. there is an awesome slow version of Birmingham. i need to get a copy of that. anyway, enjoy:)

• 1 month later...

Have a pair of tix for their show at the Wellmont Theatre in Montclair, NJ this coming Saturday that I can't use due to family obligations. One of the few forums where I figure I may find someone interested (also posted at Three Dimes Down). Send a PM if interested.

If this isn't cool to post, just let me know and I'll delete.

For what it's worth, if you're a DBT fan, this is fantastic. Especially the two covers with David Hood on bass. A must have. Some of the best recorded live DBT, IMHO.

Just ordered it. Went and saw DBT for the 1st time on Sunday here in Buffalo and they were incredible. I was on the fence about buying this but after the show I practically ran home to order it.

• 4 months later...

Commenting on this thread rather than starting a new one -- came across the record by Adam's House Cat, Hood and Cooley's pre-DBT band. Over at the always-stellar blog Captain's Dead.

http://captainsdead....urned-down.html

Hmmm...a bit more Uncle Tupelo than Steel Mill...