Double nice call on the Wig comparison. I was thinking that today when I finally got around to listening to it. I really like Patterson's songs on this one. Definitely better than The Big to Do in my book.

thanks dudes:) it's unusually cold down here in the south and this album just has a nice warm sound, like i said. good hibernating songs. however, i'm gonna try not to listen much. i need to pick this up when it comes out.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like GGB, I'm somewhat lukewarm on TBTD. I think the band would have been better served releasing it as one album and saving the rest for their big Archives release in 2029.

But it wouldn't be a DBT album without having too many songs. ;)

gave this a spin last night... not bad. gonna take a few more for me to really have a strong opinion one way or another though.

it's certainly a very Patterson-centric record vocally, and he's certainly not my favorite DBT vocalists by any means.

I haven't listened to this yet, hopefully will this weekend.

it's certainly a very Patterson-centric record vocally, and he's certainly not my favorite DBT vocalists by any means.

Me too, I prefer Cooley's voice/songs to Patterson's. Picked up tickets for one of their March shows yesterday. Nice that they're coming to Vancouver!

Finally grabbed this yesterday... really liking it. Unfortunately, I think Cooley's songs are the weakest of the bunch (he's usually my favorite).

"Everybody Needs Love" is splendid.

It really is. Just has such a nice feel to it. Can't put my finger on what it exactly reminds me of, but it has a very comfortable/familiar sound to it.

edit: I'm a dolt. It's a Eddie Hinton cover (as I just realized was mentioned above). I must have heard it over the years which makes it so familiar-sounding. Still a great take on the song, though.

• 2 weeks later...

this album just has a nice warm sound, like i said. good hibernating songs.

I agree, absolutely. I'm really digging this record which is odd as it really is "Patterson-centric" vocally as solace stated.

The slow burn of "Ray's Automatic Weapon" reminds me, strangely enough, of "72 (This Hwy's Mean)" Both great tunes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I am on my way to the Culture Room right now to see...."An Evening With DBT".

Last time I saw an "Evening With" (Wilco) it was epic.

Totally fired up.

Great show, where were you at?

I was the 22 year old that made the stupid decision to purchase Southern Rock Opera on vinyl before the show started, and had to awkwardly hold it all night.

I was dead center, 2nd person from the front.

I was the 22 year old that made the stupid decision to purchase Southern Rock Opera on vinyl before the show started, and had to awkwardly hold it all night.

:yay Been there before.

• 3 weeks later...

Really am liking it. It's getting somewhat mixed reviews...mostly favorable, but most seem to have a problem with the lack of rockers. I think it's a wonderful mix of country, rock, blues and storytelling. Hood opens with a great alt.-country-sounding song about his grandmother, then later makes us feel compassion for down-and-out characters. Cooley, as always, is limited in songs but delivers greatly. I've always liked his pure country voice. It's almost always perfect for his tales. Shona Tucker's 2 songs add nice variety. I LOVE her vocal on Eddie Hinton's "Where's Eddie". A mostly dark album is wrapped around the middle song "Everybody Needs Love", an uplifting feel-good Hinton cover nicely done by Hood.

it's taken a few records, but I've finally come to terms with the fact that I just don't love an Isbell less truckers nearly as much...

i was a fan before he joined, but i started LOVING them when he joined... and post-Isbell albums for me have just been very good but I have much less interest than I used to, this one included. It doesn't help that Patterson has always been my least favorite vocalist in the group I suppose.

*sigh*

it's taken a few records, but I've finally come to terms with the fact that I just don't love an Isbell less truckers nearly as much...

i was a fan before he joined, but i started LOVING them when he joined... and post-Isbell albums for me have just been very good but I have much less interest than I used to, this one included. It doesn't help that Patterson has always been my least favorite vocalist in the group I suppose.

*sigh*

Agree, agree and agree.

Doubt I will buy the new one, but from what I've heard of "Mercy Buckets", I may have to download that track. Decoration Day and Dirty South are where it's at for me.

There's still an issue of self-editing. BTCD was nearly perfect for me, except it was 19 tracks and had some big-time filler. There's definitely a different sound/tone to them after Isbell left, and instead of three strong songwriters, now there's just 2, plus 1 developing songwriter, although I think Shonna's material is getting better. I really dig the straight-country tunes that Cooley comes up with. BTCD had a couple of great ones. "Everybody Needs Love" is also a great track here. LOTS of Patterson.