• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are 2/3 other SFA fans around here. I know PopTodd's a large fan. And Synthesizer Patel. Maybe someone else. But I cannot recommend the Furries highly enough. Best pop discography you'll find these days, in my opinion. Nine albums and nothing approaching mediocrity yet.

You should know that I'm a SFA fan as well...as well as my girlfriend who doesn't frequent this board so much. It's a shame that they don't tour the US much, but last time they did (a couple years ago) I got my first chance to see them. Such a great show. They barely filled the little club, too! It was at the Magic Stick in Detroit.

Gruff Rhys is a genius, and I love how they hold up the sign at the end of their set that says "NO PHONY ENCORES," and then they do not do an encore.

I know they've been discussed (or at least mentioned) on this board, but I've yet to check them out. I will. Thanks!

gosh, i knew there was a reason why i clicked on this thread. you've got some seriously good music to check out! i'd say check out Rings Around The World first, not that it's their best necessarily, but it's the one I would tell people to listen to if they want to hear the band. Fortunately every one of their albums is different, and every single fan will say a different album is their best (which is always a good sign of quality).

forget this rubbish about bands getting back together - they never work. some examples might be better than others, but that doesn't mean any have ever been good

here's some super furries

"we may have fought with teeth and nails / but, i still recall your banking details" - gruff rhys is a genius!

also - nearly forgot - this is out on dvd in a couple of weeks (in the uk, anyway - don't know about america)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2IfD-6iS3Y#

In 1880, following a controversial horse race that led to an unresolved death, Gruff Rhys family split as Dafydd Jones took his young family to join the burgeoning Welsh community in Patagonia, South America. There was to be no contact between the families for almost a century when in 1974 Rene Griffiths arrived in Wales with his Latin infused Welsh love songs and became an over night sensation.

Director Dylan Goch follows Gruff Rhys on a tour that takes in the theatres, nightclubs and desert teahouses of Wales, Brazil and the Argentine Andes as he discovers what became of his family, the Welsh Diaspora and its musical legacy.

Separado better come out in the US. I need to see that. The story is too ridiculous to be true, but it's Gruff, so it somehow makes sense.

Without further hijacking this thread, I'll reiterate that SFA has the best catalogue of music I've ever heard. 17 years of consistently great music, and no real "consensus" favorites. Couldn't recommend 'em more highly.

Separado better come out in the US. I need to see that. The story is too ridiculous to be true, but it's Gruff, so it somehow makes sense.

Without further hijacking this thread, I'll reiterate that SFA has the best catalogue of music I've ever heard. 17 years of consistently great music, and no real "consensus" favorites. Couldn't recommend 'em more highly.

One more comment about SFA, and I'm done. For you guitar geeks out there, Gruff is left handed, but he plays right handed guitars flipped over upside down (strings and all). So basically he plays all his chords upside down. Its really confusing looking, but quite interesting. Especially standing literally right in front of him when I saw them live. Also, I got chewed up carrots spit on me during a song. Something Gruff also does that doesn't make sense, but it's a necessary part of Receptacle for the Respectable.

• 3 weeks later...

this is how we recruit new SFA Fans, we like to get them when they're down - so all those crying over Jeff and Jay not getting back together are perfect pray. we offer them a little light in their lives, and give it new meaning. we also go into jails. yeah, it's a bit manipulative, but it works!

:lol

Yes!

Is there an SFA thread in Someone Else's Song? I don't remember that.

(you have to admit, that was a hijacking of epic proportions. It's all good now. :peace )

:banana

I have one album by SFA. I enjoyed it but never went back for more. Perhaps I need to renew my efforts. The passage of time often changes my perception of bands.

Which album was it?

Well, I had to look it up by album cover, and I think it was Phantom Power. I listened a few times through, enjoyed it, but moved on and never got around to listening to more.

How does it rank?

My favorite SFA album is Radiator.

But this is my favorite song of theirs:

When I saw them live for the first time, the entire room became a single, undulating mass of humanity when they hit the chorus.

A transcendental moment, if there ever was one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5APBfWZFD84

Yeah, kinda how it looks in the video. (Only we were in the much smaller Lounge Ax -- shoulder to shoulder.)

I rank Phantom pretty high, and most would agree. Problem is, there's no consensus on SFA albums. Ask any hardcore fan, and you'll get a different list. And I don't just mean there are 2/3 possible #1s. Literally any of their 9 albums could be someone's favorite. I like Phantom Power (probably #3/4 for me) because it's a great acoustic-ish pop album that has flashes of everything SFA's good at. And you just cannot beat songs like Bleed Forever, Sex, War & Robots and Slow Life, among others.

The most common starter albums are Radiator and Guerilla. I'd say check out Radiator. That's the closests to a consensus #1 as they've got. But you really can't go wrong too many ways in their discography. It's, quite frankly, the best I've ever heard,

The Man Don't Give A Fuck

:rock

Hey, make room for me Shakespeare, I'll be the other SFA fan who you ref'd earlier.

Loved them ever since I heard 'Hometown Unicorn' in the mid 90's and heard them tearing up the soundtrack to that great British cult film 'Twin Town' years ago.

Have met Gruff several times out and about over the years. Went backstage with them at Brixton a few years ago. Top lads all. Funnily enough the actor Rhys Ifans was in there with them that night - he of Twin Town and Notting Hill etc - Ifans was an original member of SFA before going on to act instead.

By the way don't know if you ever saw the onstage video that accompanied the Rings Around The World tour - had animation of explosions and planes flying among tall buildings. All, I was told by their label boss at the time,a pal of mine, filmed before 9/11. Prescient/spooky.....

Fuzzy Logic was the first album I heard of theirs. It was a few years ago (2006 or so) and I was a massive Flaming Lips fan. Their drummer was wearing an SFA shirt when I saw them, and I recognized the name when I saw Fuzzy Logic at a used book store. Bought it. Great album. Literally starts off mid-riff. :rock

Then came Guerilla, RATW, and the rest in whatever order I found them. They quickly became my new favorite band, and now they're just another level entirely. Look at some of the other bands of that "scene," then look at SFA. You've got break-ups (Blur, Pulp, Oasis, the Verve), well publicized infighting and bearing the load of changing the entire industry (Radiohead) and shitty music (Oasis). Then Super Furry Animals. They've been around just as long, with no change of members (besides Ifans, but that hardly counts because it was before they got serious), no controversy and no consensus drop in quality.

I've listened to several songs on YouTube and Pandora, and yeah, I like it. I especially like the diversity - as in all the songs don't sound alike. Don't think they'll ever be my favorite, but the Super Furry Animals will be something I'll be looking for in future visits to the record stores.