I've been liking them since Fuzzy Logic came out, I guess being in the UK meant it was easier to hear about them. I personally think they piss all over the other bands they were in competition with at the time; listening to all those other Brit Pop bands now - they all sound dated, and kind of boring to my ears. whereas super furry animals don't. at least half the songs on Fuzzy Logic should've been big hits - they did ok in the uk, but they never quite reached the level of Oasis or Blur, which turned out to be a very good thing!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've listened to several songs on YouTube and Pandora, and yeah, I like it. I especially like the diversity - as in all the songs don't sound alike. Don't think they'll ever be my favorite, but the Super Furry Animals will be something I'll be looking for in future visits to the record stores.

You've really got to listen to a whole album to see how good they are, they do write great singles, but they always seem stronger when you listen to an album from start to finish. a bit like wilco in that respect.

You've really got to listen to a whole album to see how good they are, they do write great singles, but they always seem stronger when you listen to an album from start to finish. a bit like wilco in that respect.

Yeah, I figured as much. Whole albums on real stereos are always better than music on computers and smartphones, but I always use these free sites to sample acts I don't know about. I'll pick up the albums at some point. Thanks for the tip and the videos.

listening to all those other Brit Pop bands now - they all sound dated, and kind of boring to my ears. whereas super furry animals don't.

Agreed. I still like bands like Blur and Pulp, but they're so specifically of that time that it's hard to listen to the albums without thinking of the less than great music that whole "genre" spawned. But Super Furry Animals pretty much existed on their own planet, outside of that whole deal. Even still. I know some people are put-off by the band's obvious sense of humor, but I get the impression that even with all the weird things they've done, they're making some of the realest music out there.

And Gruff is a rare example of a creative genius who seems to have nothing but admirers, with only the highest praise to offer about him and his music. By all indications, he's a great guy and a great musician.

If you haven't seen this check it out. Live version of Gruff's new single. I loved it already, but this version might be even better. Psyched for the new album!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxjMT8qc9XA

yeah, i've seen them - they're great. actually the best bit of separado! is when he plays Y Mynydd Hud (The Magic Mountain) at the end. do you know: is that going to be a b-side or something? because it's far too great just to appear on the film.

the best bit about separado! actually, is how Gruff comes across as a person - he's one of the very very few famous people i've ever seen that you'd really like to be friends with - even when he's making Patagonian Grannies put their fingers in their ears at one of his shows in the village hall, they still come out saying it was good.

one of my brother's friends is actually mates with Cian. not that that means much, but just thought i'd say.

Damn, I still haven't seen Separado. I've been waiting on news of a US release of the DVD. Or a rip to surface online. I don't want to give up and buy the UK dvd if a US version is coming at some point. But I do need to see it. The trailer/plot is excellent, and I know Gruff can somehow tell that story without making it too ridiculous.

I remember there was talk of a DVD/CD soundtrack deal, but I don't know what's come of that. Real LP3 kinda came out of nowhere, so maybe the Separado soundtrack will just be in the movie.

They've been around just as long, with no change of members (besides Ifans, but that hardly counts because it was before they got serious), no controversy and no consensus drop in quality.

i don't really care about consensus, but to me there's been a considerable quality drop since _Love Kraft_...they really are a fantastic band though, and Gruff's solo stuff is still hitting the spot w/ me. I've only seen them twice, first on the Love Kraft tour which was fantastic, then at ATP/NY in '09 where they were disappointing.

Man, I would have loved to have seen a show on the Love Kraft tour. Not because I think Hey Venus or Dark Days/Light Years are less than great records (DD/LY ranks at or near the very top of my list, honestly) but because Love Kraft has so many terrific songs (Atomik Lust, Walk You Home, Frequency, Cabin Fever, etc) that I know I'll likely never hear live.

I saw them twice: on both the Radiator and Phantom Power tours.

The first time was the one that I posted about earlier; exquisite. The second time wasn't as good, but I think that was more the fault of a fairly lame audience.

Gruff's playing solo shows in LA and NYC January 11th and 13th. Just those two for now. Maybe more after the album comes out. I bought my NYC ticket yesterday. Really excited for this one. I stupidly missed the DC show on the Candylion tour. Not gonna miss this chance.

And here's another new song. Sounds great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z7JRU_pKSQ

• 4 months later...

Hi, this is highly random, and could be a good candidate for "0 replies," but....I'm a rabid SFA fan - i love that sweeping, melodic, laid back yet adventurous neo-psych stuff, etc - the strings of the High Llamas that complement many of their records.

Anyone on here a fan of both SFA and Wilco? I see Summerteeth being the most "SFA-like" Wilco record - ie, it's got more of an orchestral, Beach Boys-ian, harmony laced feel over most of their records...it's just always struck me that i get this SFA vibe when i hear the record.

Anyone else?

Shakespeare (and other SFA fans on here) - I should have done an SFA search before a post i just made, regarding Summerteeth and SFA.

You sound exactly like me Shakespeare - got into SFA in 2006 for Love Kraft, via The Lips (specifically Kliph!), and never looked back. Remain as obsessed as ever, and love every little thing they do. Hard to say faves, but I'd tell Wilco fans to start by easy-vibing it with Phantom Power (quite possibly my favorite - brilliant)...and of course "Rings" given its ginormous, expansive sound...unreal stuff.

Went to the only "Dark Days/Light Years" US show in NY in '09 (after 3 Hey Venus shows), saw Gruff for that one off solo show in NY in Jan, and have ticks for the Hotel Shampoo shows in Boston and Brooklyn. He'll go down as one of the best songwriters of our times, in my opinion.

Have you seen Separado! yet? i ordered it off UK amazon (make sure you have a multi-region DVD player), and it was even better than i thought it would be. Funny, trippy, affecting/inspirational.

anyone saying that since Love Kraft there has been a dip in terms of their output is simply not listening! i really believe that. "Dark Days" was incredible to me.

Anyhow, great to see Wilco fans who also dig SFA.

Now - ready for Solid Sound!

omg... :dancing

The Furries are my absolute favorite band, no contest. They approach music from a different place than Wilco (or most any other band, really) but ST definitely shares some of their philosophies.

Nice to add another SFA fan to this board. I know PopTodd and Tinnitus are fans, and a few others. Best band out there, so it's always nice to meet more fans.

Went to the only "Dark Days/Light Years" US show in NY in '09 (after 3 Hey Venus shows), saw Gruff for that one off solo show in NY in Jan, and have ticks for the Hotel Shampoo shows in Boston and Brooklyn. He'll go down as one of the best songwriters of our times, in my opinion.

:thumbup

I was at the Highline and Rockwood shows too. Both fantastic. And I'll be seeing Gruff solo in DC this May. He's my favorite songwriter, now or ever, and I feel privileged to get to see him twice in a year. Such a fascinating personality too. I'm pretty used to the genius musician=total asshole thing, but no one (famous or otherwise) has ever had a bad thing to say about Gruff. And the band's lineup essentially never changing since they started is a good indication of that.

I like to think Gruff and the Furries will go down as a Kinks-esque band to Radiohead's (or whichever big "britpop" band you choose) Beatles. Less visible, but just as good and frequently better. His body of work to date is the closest thing to perfection as you'll find in modern pop music.

Hi, this is highly random, and could be a good candidate for "0 replies," but....I'm a rabid SFA fan - i love that sweeping, melodic, laid back yet adventurous neo-psych stuff, etc - the strings of the High Llamas that complement many of their records.

Anyone on here a fan of both SFA and Wilco? I see Summerteeth being the most "SFA-like" Wilco record - ie, it's got more of an orchestral, Beach Boys-ian, harmony laced feel over most of their records...it's just always struck me that i get this SFA vibe when i hear the record.

Anyone else?

They were both looking to the same source material

Still a big fan of 'Rings Around the World'. You could definitely hear the Beach Boys in that title song. I also really dig 'A Touch Sensitive' I could see that song in some thriller movie. For those who may not know it, Gruff features on Superfast Jellyfish from Gorillaz.

Still a big fan of 'Rings Around the World'. You could definitely hear the Beach Boys in that title song. I also really dig 'A Touch Sensitive' I could see that song in some thriller movie. For those who may not know it, Gruff features on Superfast Jellyfish from Gorillaz.

If you haven't seen the video for A Touch Sensitive, check it out. It's on the Rings DVD. Really cool animation. That song is a Stooges sample, by the way.

Speaking of sampling, that reminds me that there's a lot SFA's done that I'd love to see Wilco mess around with. Their careers have a good number of parallels, so hopefully Wilco has a DD/LY of their own coming soon. That album is way too refreshing to be any band's 9th.

Yep big fan of both.

Saw SFA first way back in '96 and many times since. 'Hometown Unicorn' first song that drew me in - catalogue beginning to weaken on last few albums IMO but many highlights down the years - 'Run Christian Run' 'Ice Hockey Hair' 'Venus and Serena' pop genius.

Am a pal of their ex label boss who told me that SFA records always sold exactly the same amount every time, regardless. Eventually got dropped because there was no 'progress'.

Perception was that they were a bit too 'weird' and Welsh to cross over into major popularity.

Nice chaps too.

• 3 weeks later...

cool replies - glad i found SFA/Wilco fans.....thought i'd share this....this is the end credits song to Separado! - Gruff's south american roadtrip film.

It's typical of SFA/Gruff to just toss thing like this out, almost as throwaway, and yet it's one of the more gorgeous things he's done solo (IMO).

SFA does it with B-sides that are sublime - you wonder how they didn't make the records...

http://www.4shared.com/audio/dVHXu8v8/Trofannau.html

Make sure everyone sees this guy on his tour starting next week!

That song is incredible. I'd been waiting to hear it again after I watched the movie, so I was very happy when it appeared out of nowhere last week.

I'll vouch for the quality of SFA's b-side catalogue. Incredible stuff, and not just incredible for rejected songs.

I'm seeing Gruff in DC on Friday. Extremely excited. I saw him solo (real solo, not solo with band) in January, but this will be a whole different deal. :dancing

sweet....i'm hitting the Brooklyn show Wed....luck would have it, my wife is there for work (we live in Boston), so with free lodging, it was a no brainer..

and will be hitting the Boston show.

I hope Separado! soundtrack is released soon (i think i read it will be at some point?)