Built to Spill

I know they've been talked about a bit before on this website, but I just started listening to them over the summer and man, what a band!

Doug Martsch is a genius.

I saw them at 1st avenue in minneapolis and was surprised it wasn't sold out for being such a small venue, I wonder why they aren't more popular.

Anyways, what are some of your favorite songs?

for me, the whole album Perfect From Now On has been kicking my ass lately, velvet waltz is beautiful.

They've put out some great records. My favorite is probably Keep It Like A Secret; those first 3 tracks are just about perfect, as is the rest of the record.

I also like Martsch's solo album, Now You Know. That acoustic stuff on there is surprisingly good.

But, as far as BTS albums go, probably Keep It Like a Secret, with Perfect From Now On a close second.

• 8 years later...

Built to Spill just announced a massive tour to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Keep It Like a Secret.

Built to Spill’s Keep It Like a Secret 20th Anniversary Tour Dates:
06/22 – Missoula MT
06/23 – Bozeman, MT
06/25 – Fargo, ND
06/26 – Minneapolis, MN
06/27 – Omaha, NE
06/29 – Kalamazoo, MI
06/30 – Detroit, MI
07/01 – Columbus, OH
07/02 – Louisville, KY
07/03 – Cincinnati, OH
07/05 – Chicago, IL
07/06 – Chicago, IL
07/07 – Indianapolis, IN
07/08 – St. Louis, MO
07/09 – Memphis, TN
07/10 – Nashville, TN
07/11 – Asheville, NC
07/12 – Atlanta, GA
07/13 – Atlanta, GA
07/14 – Birmingham, AL
07/16 – Pensacola, FL
07/17 – New Orleans, LA
07/18 – Houston, TX
07/19 – Austin, TX
07/20 – San Antonio, TX
07/21 – Dallas, TX
07/22 – Oklahoma City, OK
07/23 – Kansas City, MO
07/25 – Denver, CO
07/26 – Bellvue, CO
07/27 – Salt Lake City, UT
09/12 – Sayreville, NJ
09/13 – Philadephia, PA
09/14 – Philadephia, PA
09/15 – Albany, NY
09/16 – Ithaca, NY
09/17 – Pittsburgh, PA
09/18 – Cleveland, OH
09/19 – Buffalo, NY
09/20 – Toronto, ON
09/21 – Montreal, QC
09/23 – Portland, ME
09/24 – Holyoke, MA
09/25 – Cambridge, MA
09/26 – Cambridge, MA
09/27 – Cambridge, MA
09/28 – New Haven, CT
09/30 – New York, NY
10/01 – New York, NY
10/02 – New York, NY
10/04 – Washington, DC
10/05 – Norfolk, VA
10/06 – Carrboro, NC
10/08 – Charlotte, NC
10/09 – Jacksonville, FL
10/10 – Orlando, FL
10/11 – Tampa, FL
10/12 – Ft. Lauderdale, FL
10/25 – Seattle, WA
10/26 – Seattle, WA
10/27 – Vancouver, BC
10/29 – Bellingham, WA
10/30 – Portland, OR
10/31 – Portland, OR
11/01 – Portland, OR
11/02 – Portland, OR
11/05 – San Francisco, CA
11/06 – San Francisco, CA
11/07 – Los Angeles, CA
11/08 – Los Angeles, CA
11/09 – Los Angeles, CA
11/10 – Santa Ana, CA
11/12 – San Diego, CA
11/13 – San Diego, CA
11/14 – San Diego, CA
11/15 – Las Vegas, NV
11/16 – Phoenix, AZ
11/17 – Pioneertown, CA
11/19 – Santa Barbara, CA
11/20 – San Luis Obispo, CA
11/21 – Santa Cruz, CA
11/22 – Sacramento, CA
11/23 – Sonoma, CA

Like the music, esp. the guitar. Can't stand Martsch's voice. I keep trying, but I can't get past it.

I'm exactly the same.  On paper, I should love this band.  But one of my irrational musical pet peeves is vocalizing vowels as "eee-awwwwwww," which seems to be prevalent in his music.

EDIT:  Oops, didn't realize I was responding to such an old post. 

I'm exactly the same.  On paper, I should love this band.  But one of my irrational musical pet peeves is vocalizing vowels as "eee-awwwwwww," which seems to be prevalent in his music.

EDIT:  Oops, didn't realize I was responding to such an old post. 

LOL... Still true 9 years later.

LOL... Still true 9 years later.

After posting that I went online to watch a few songs, since it's been a number of years since I last heard them.  The vocal infection that puts me off wasn't as prevalent in the songs I watched as I remember from hearing them in the past, but he did it a couple times.  For example, he sings the (edit) song word "begin" in one song and sings it as buh-geee-ooon.  I don't know why that bothers me.  Like I said, it's irrational.  I've heard other singers do that, too, so maybe it's a regional thing. 

To their credit, I liked their sound in general.  Good use of multiple guitars, and solid, un-flashy drumming.  But, as is true almost always when I can't get all the way behind something, it's the singing that blocks me. 

I love Keep It Like a Secret, and most of their recordings, but I saw the band years ago and I thought their live performance was a huge let down. I felt the same way about Pavement when I saw them years ago: loved the records, but couldn’t get into the live show at all. Either I had the very bad luck of seeing both these bands on an off night, or some bands are just better at making records than performing live.

In the intervening years since this post began, my son (now 19) has discovered BTS and they have become one of his favorite bands.

:D

Hoping to see them with him sometime. I know that they are on his bucket list of bands to see.

I love Keep It Like a Secret, and most of their recordings, but I saw the band years ago and I thought their live performance was a huge let down. I felt the same way about Pavement when I saw them years ago: loved the records, but couldn’t get into the live show at all. Either I had the very bad luck of seeing both these bands on an off night, or some bands are just better at making records than performing live.

Pavement had a lot of off nights. Prior to their reunion tour, live performing seemed to be something of an afterthought to them, and practicing together as a band was a logistical impossibility for much of their career.

I've only seen them once, and the night that I did, they absolutely RIPPED. It was at the Lounge Ax (in Chicago) on the tour for 'Perfect From Now On.'

"I Would Hurt a Fly" was transportive. The whole show was incredible, really.

Sorry that you saw a bad one.

Their Live album with the epic cover of Cortez the Killer was what really got me into them. Always preferred their live shows with the big guitar jams to their more quirky songwriting/albums. Saw them last year for the first time in ten years or so, and was pretty underwhelmed. Previously always blown away by their live shows.