Band that you like the 'idea of'...

Guest Speed Racer

Sorry. I was trying to be mysterious. "Catalog name." Does that sit better?

You said the mystery wasn't working for you; I was just trying to clear up that the mystery didn't exist. No need for you to try to keep drinking a glass of air.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry. I was trying to be mysterious. "Catalog name." Does that sit better?

You said the mystery wasn't working for you; I was just trying to clear up that the mystery didn't exist. No need for you to try to keep drinking a glass of air.

"Catalog name" works.

No, I never said anything like that. In keeping with the topic of this thread, I said (or clearly implied) that I like the idea of the mystery*, but I don't like the music.

*Or if you prefer, over the top reluctance to share basic information about himself, contrary to common practice among those who release their work to the world.

So? His real name is readily available. Even if you count the Rep and Jandek as two separate stage names, he has fewer than Prince. Still don't see how that plays anything up.

He is more accessible than almost any other recording artist; how can that be mysterious?

ETA: You don't like his music, that's fine. Certainly not for everyone. I just think that people who are calling him mysterious are making the whole thing up themselves; making something out of nothing. The guy has an address, a name that's easily accessible, and his own face all over his 60+ albums, and you're bothered by the name he uses when he appears live? That's all I've gotten out of you, anyway. Sounds more like disappointment in total lack of mystique than anything else.

Recorded Nap, I don't know you, but I'm always intrigued by your posts. In another thread I thought I saw Crow Daddy Magnus say something about "wait till she's out of law school" in reference to your banter with another poster. It's all so clear to me now -- many of your posts do come across like they've been thought out like a legal defense. And I shall continue to observe your banter, among others. That is all.

It's all so clear to me now -- many of your posts do come across like they've been thought out like a legal defense.

Not a bad strategy for a lawyer: Claim your opponent said or did something, when in fact, they said or did the exact opposite. Hammer them from as many angles as possible to muddle the argument, causing your opponent to say something slightly inconsistent with what they originally said or did.

Calling one of the most accessible recording artists around "mysterious" is simply erroneous. Yes, I care, but the fact of the matter is he's not mysterious.

'one of most accessible recording artists around'?

He's done two phone interviews in his career.

I know Seth Tisue...I'll ask his opinion of Mr Smith's accessibility.

This is an interesting topic indeed. There have also been bands that grabbed me right away, and I couldn't get enough of them for a few days... And then I just stopped listening completely... Andrew Bird is one of those.

Had the same kind of experience with Jessie Malin

His lyrics are fantastic. That you can't deny.

Rain in Madison

Rain's pouring down in the window

And I'm sitting here in Madison

Trying to figure out where you are

Yes, I'm sitting here in my car

Drove a long long way

But I didn't have no rain until today

I was way out far where it didn't rain much

I could see pretty clearly

But now today there's all this rain

I guess it's the end

I guess I just really didn't know

And now we've got to stay here

Or else get all wet

You know you can't bring no

Electric devices out into the rain

Wait ... is that supposed to be an example of his "fantastic" lyrics? 'Cause those lyrics kind of suck.

Guest Speed Racer

If you write him, he'll more often than not write back. How much more accessible can you get outside of a lap dance?

Guest Speed Racer

I know Seth Tisue...I'll ask his opinion of Mr Smith's accessibility.

I've met him once or twice (Seth - and Jandek, come to think of it). Had nice conversations with both of them, grabbed a cup of coffee with Seth. I think he and I are in agreement; Jandek doesn't go out of his way to be cordial and outgoing - that's not and never will be his bag - but he and Seth have had a rich history of correspondence. There's know way you can have that under your belt and say he's "inaccessible," you can simply say he's not interested in promotion via media.

Wait ... is that supposed to be an example of his "fantastic" lyrics? 'Cause those lyrics kind of suck.

:lol I suppose you're right, but it's definitely my favorite creepy break-up song.

Yeah, Jandek is the antithesis of accessible. He's done 3 somewhat obtuse interviews in his 32 year career. The guy is about as forthcoming and accessible as early 80s Prince.

Guest Speed Racer

Well, maybe we should all define what we mean by "accessible." I thought I outlined my definition alright: if you want to reach him, you can. You guys?

Not a bad strategy for a lawyer:

You said you didn't like the "[idea of a] mystery man..." I said he wasn't that much of a mystery. I really don't see where the stretch was.

Well, maybe we should all define what we mean by "accessible." I thought I outlined my definition alright: if you want to reach him, you can. You guys?

One of the definitions of the word is: "easy to communicate or deal with." That definitely doesn't apply to Jankek.

You said you didn't like the "[idea of a] mystery man..." I said he wasn't that much of a mystery. I really don't see where the stretch was.

Wrong again. I said I did like the idea of mystery man, but I don't like his music.

If I didn't like the idea of mystery man OR his music, why would I have posted in this thread?

Guest Speed Racer

One of the definitions of the word is: "easy to communicate or deal with." That definitely doesn't apply to Jankek.

You send a check, you get a disc. That's easy to deal with.

Sometimes, he'll just send a disc. No check. That's easy to deal with.

You write a letter, he'll write back if he wants to. That's easy to deal with.

You want to see him, you go to a show. Easy!

Want to meet him after the show? Maybe you do, maybe you don't.

Contrast that with Wilco:

You want to read the latest interview, you need to track down the print-only magazine that isn't carried anywhere near you. Or deal with all the pop-ups on the website for the publication.

You write a letter, you wait. And wait. Sometimes you hear back, but usually you wait.

You want to see them, you go to a show (I mean, if there are tickets left), and borrow your mother's opera glasses and leave your smartphone at home.

And you meet them after a show and take a great photo for your avatar.

I'd pick Jandek over Wilco most days.

You want to read the latest interview, you need to track down the print-only magazine that isn't carried anywhere near you. Or deal with all the pop-ups on the website for the publication.

You write a letter, you wait. And wait. Sometimes you hear back, but usually you wait.

You want to see them, you go to a show (I mean, if there are tickets left), and borrow your mother's opera glasses and leave your smartphone at home.

So, Jandek welcomes smartphones at his gigs?

That's interesting to know.

Is this Jandek argument actually about anything, or is it just people winding each other up over nothing?

And can it maybe be moved to a separate "Let's argue about stupid shit" thread?

Stay on topic. :lol

His website doesn't give you any credit card or PayPal options. It gives you the price of things but doesn't even specify accepted payment methods. I guess you have to assume that cash, cheque or money order are accepted. You have to mail things off to a P.O. box in Texas. On the selling front, not too accessible. Available yes, but not that accessible.

And just about everyone has a mailing address, doesn't make them accessible. I wonder how many people have actually received a written reply to their correspondence.

Are people actually meeting Jandek after shows? Does he hang around the tour bus talking to fans that want to chat? Maybe I'm out of the loop and have missed hearing about this open and talkative Jandek.

Wilco's done tons of TV, radio, magazine and newspaper interviews. Lots of people have met the band. They allow people to record the concerts. You can buy their records anywhere with numerous payment options. I can't say that any of that applies to Jandek.

p.s. For the record I do have some Jandek records for what it's worth.

Not a bad strategy for a lawyer: Claim your opponent said or did something, when in fact, they said or did the exact opposite. Hammer them from as many angles as possible to muddle the argument, causing your opponent to say something slightly inconsistent with what they originally said or did.

It's certainly happened before. ;-)

It's certainly happened before. ;-)

That, or a slight variation, is the technique by which most jury trials are won. Make your opponent say something the slightest bit questionable, and you've made him into the biggest liar in the universe.

Guest Speed Racer

I'm the biggest liar in the universe.

:lol If only jury-trials had the quote function.

On topic, Bruce Springsteen is a guy I've liked the idea of and never gotten into. Dude rock by a dude who rocks. It's either the voice or the sound of the records, but I can't get into him.