Band that you like the 'idea of'...

one for me is jason molina. i love his whole magnolia electric co set up and his instrumentation and lyrics. however, i can never get through an album of his. i love that song 'dark don't hide' it, but nothing else by them nails me like that song. what else?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these are all great examples. i love the production of the last radiohead album, but i just don't really like the songs. i keep revisiting them to see if it will click, to no avail. as far as jack white goes, i love his guitar sound, but the shtick gets in the way for me. i only like a few white stripes songs. i'm sure they'd bee good live. other bands like this for me are MMJ and drive by truckers. its funny, wilco, jay farrar and neil young just blow me away, but i can see how folks don't 'get them'. music is ultimately subjective.

one for me is jason molina. i love his whole magnolia electric co set up and his instrumentation and lyrics. however, i can never get through an album of his. i love that song 'dark don't hide' it, but nothing else by them nails me like that song. what else?

if _The Lioness_ or esp _Mi Sei Apparso Come Un Fantasma_ doesn't do it, nothing will.

Not looking to piss anyone off but...

The Grateful Dead.

Like the idea of a band as extended family/gang and the rabid following. Like the idea of extended shows that ofter feature nuggets from the past.

However...Not really keen on the jammy/acid rock/leftover 60's vibe.

I would say Son Volt...but I find I like the band and like Jay. I am just very often underwhelmed by them.

Not looking to piss anyone off but...

The Grateful Dead.

Like the idea of a band as extended family/gang and the rabid following. Like the idea of extended shows that ofter feature nuggets from the past.

I'm with you on this. Although, I'm not really sold on the "idea of" them either.

For me, a current band that would qualify for this is The Black Keys. On paper, they should work for me more than they actually do.

Funny, this turning into the anti dead thread.

Not that I'd ever change your mind, but for me the '87-'91 period is by far the most interesting period for this band (and among heads, I'd probaby be out voted 99 to 1 on this opionion as the early '70's are the holy grail from most heads) because of all the different styles they incorporated and how seemlessly they could go from rock to blues to jazz to ballads to spacey jams and back, all in one set. The leftover 60's vibe may have been in the lot but on stage they were very much up to date with their use of midi and constantly evolving their sound. To call them acid rock in this period would be incorrect imo. Brent was a much better keyboardist imo than Keith and the drum sound was much richer which gives the band a much fuller sound. When hornsby joined, he really jazzed things up and showed how good that badn could sound with a real good player playing grand piano.

In answer the question:

Pearl Jam - seen them 4 times over 9 years with a good buddy who loves them and I just don't get this band. Case of the emporers new clothes if you ask me.

Phish - Too bad they cant write a decent song.

Radiohead - wish I could love them

Not that I'd ever change your mind, but for me the '87-'91 period is by far the most interesting period for this band (and among heads, I'd probaby be out voted 99 to 1 on this opionion as the early '70's are the holy grail from most heads) because of all the different styles they incorporated and how seemlessly they could go from rock to blues to jazz to ballads to spacey jams and back, all in one set. The leftover 60's vibe may have been in the lot but on stage they were very much up to date with their use of midi and constantly evolving their sound. To call them acid rock in this period would be incorrect imo. Brent was a much better keyboardist imo than Keith and the drum sound was much richer which gives the band a much fuller sound. When hornsby joined, he really jazzed things up and showed how good that badn could sound with a real good player playing grand piano.

In answer the question:

Pearl Jam - seen them 4 times over 9 years with a good buddy who loves them and I just don't get this band. Case of the emporers new clothes if you ask me.

There are several threads similar to this one and the GD always seem to get mentioned in such threads. I still think it best to go with what you are into, instead of what you are not into. I use to go on and on about such things, but it now seems best to go with what I like instead.

As Mountain Bed would say, you are either on the bus, or you are not. I can't imagine a would without GD music. Sometimes, I think that is the only music I need.

There are several threads similar to this one and the GD always seem to get mentioned in such threads. I still think it best to go with what you are into, instead of what you are not into. I use to go on and on about such things, but it now seems best to go with what I like instead.

As Mountain Bed would say, you are either on the bus, or you are not. I can't imagine a would without GD music. Sometimes, I think that is the only music I need.

Hear ya, gave up a long time ago trying to change minds on music. In one of those moods now where I'm listening to a lot of dead and thinking about it a lot so wanted to give the other side.

In answer the question:

i'm with you on all points. i prefer GD 87-90. i can't listen to anything much after that. i loved brent. i like brent's first few years too. the thing about the dead for me is that i listened to them 24/7 for almost 15 years and just don't listen much anymore. i still love garcia's guitar though. just give me a loop of his sugaree solos and i'd probably be okay.

oh and AMan, again the voice or reason. why do i even try to get into stuff. you like what you like. i need to make a list of like my top 10 favorite artists and stay with them. that's more than a life time's of listening i bet:)

i'm with you on all points. i prefer GD 87-90. i can't listen to anything much after that. i loved brent. i like brent's first few years too.

If you havent listned in a while, check out the MSG runs in Sept '90 and '91 (9/10/91 with Branford Marsalis is an absolute standout.) 6/17/91 is a fun show with a lot of Dark Star teases. Yeah Vince can be annoying but you can tune him out. Makes you think of what could have been had BH accepted the gig full time.

My problem with early 80's dead is that while I love the fender rhodes, i don't love it in dead music and Brent used it a lot. Just doesn't sound right to me.

Willing to face the consequences here but Uncle Tupelo. I like most others around here am obviously a huge Wilco fan and am quite fond of most Son Volt and Farrar projects(especially the latest with Ben Gibbard). That being said I discovered UT after Wilco and Son Volt and was dissapointed. I just expected more and alot of the lyrics were really dissapointing for me. I think it was a had to be there deal for me.

If you havent listned in a while, check out the MSG runs in Sept '90 and '91 (9/10/91 with Branford Marsalis is an absolute standout.) 6/17/91 is a fun show with a lot of Dark Star teases. Yeah Vince can be annoying but you can tune him out. Makes you think of what could have been had BH accepted the gig full time.

My problem with early 80's dead is that while I love the fender rhodes, i don't love it in dead music and Brent used it a lot. Just doesn't sound right to me.

i will check those shows out. there are def some gems from the last few years. i liked bruce in the band too, although it could be a bit much at times. however, he really ignited jerry to do some crazy stuff...Scarlet-Victim-Fire comes to mind:) as far as brent's rhodes goes, i liked it up until 82-83. by 85 it was just so tiny sounding, like a toy piano. he could play a phat B3 though. Vince never had any real instruments up there. all synth. live, vince was fun. i liked samba and way to go home. wish they were in the first set though.

Willing to face the consequences here but Uncle Tupelo. I like most others around here am obviously a huge Wilco fan and am quite fond of most Son Volt and Farrar projects(especially the latest with Ben Gibbard). That being said I discovered UT after Wilco and Son Volt and was dissapointed. I just expected more and alot of the lyrics were really dissapointing for me. I think it was a had to be there deal for me.

the first UT albums are def harder for me to listen too. tweedy sounds so young! Anodyne is a great record though.

Put me on the Grateful Dead & all the jam bands ho-hum list.

I want to like Ben Folds, but that fucker just can't sing.

Ben Folds is so cheesy to me. I have a cousin who loves him though. i'm on board with black keys as mentioned above. great riffs and such, but doesn't blow me away.

as far as brent's rhodes goes, i liked it up until 82-83. by 85 it was just so tiny sounding, like a toy piano. he could play a phat B3 though.

Oh yeah, best keyboard player they had imo and some real good tunes too although I wish Just A Little Light never made the cut.

Oh yeah, best keyboard player they had imo and some real good tunes too although I wish Just A Little Light never made the cut.

i loved just a little light live. that middle spacey jam was fun and jerry with his auto wah a la fire on the mountain. easy to love you in the first set was awesome. the one i could have done without was I Will Take You Home...out of space?!!

i loved just a little light live. that middle spacey jam was fun and jerry with his auto wah a la fire on the mountain. easy to love you in the first set was awesome. the one i could have done without was I Will Take You Home...out of space?!!

Lol, that's why theres vanilla and chocolate I guess. i love I will take you home out of space because of the way Jerry led into it with those midi effects, real pretty if you ask me.

BTW, a DVD of 9/10/91 just went up on the traders den 30 minutes ago. No idea of quality but I jumped on it.

Better take this to the dead thread before people get pissed.

Lol, that's why theres vanilla and chocolate I guess. i love I will take you home out of space because of the way Jerry led into it with those midi effects, real pretty if you ask me.

BTW, a DVD of 9/10/91 just went up on the traders den 30 minutes ago. No idea of quality but I jumped on it.

Better take this to the dead thread before people get pissed.

right. to the dead thread it is.