Band that you like the 'idea of'...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farewell Transmission and Hold On Magnolia are great songs. Love the drums on that record. Liked the first song on that Molina Johnson album.

As far as Decemberists go, they have some great music and production, but the singing is an obstacle. Their new tune with Gillian Welch singing is pretty good.

A few that have been on my mind lately...

The Minutemen - I just don't see why people think they're so great...I have Double Nickels but it's just bland/generic to me.

The Clash - I still listen to them but I get so bored with them after about 2-3 songs. In a small single track dose, I love 'em but an album length dose is a bit much.

The Wrens - I really love Meadowlands but their other albums also fall in the meh-category.

Roxy Music - My brother let me borrow a compilation album of their earlier stuff recently and I can't stand it.

The Minutemen - I just don't see why people think they're so great...I have Double Nickels but it's just bland/generic to me.

The Clash - I still listen to them but I get so bored with them after about 2-3 songs. In a small single track dose, I love 'em but an album length dose is a bit much.

Double nickels bland and generic? Hmmm... I can understand not liking it. But I do not understand these adjectives at all. I could agree with the assessment of the Clash, but I think a lot of that is they paved the way for so many other bands that the excitement of music that sounds like that is lost years later.

I am just bored when I listen to the Minutemen - their music just sounds plain. It does nothing for me. I keep trying too. I went so far to buy a 180 gram vinyl edition of Double Nickels thinking that a vinyl listening experience would alter my opinion but it hasn't.

I am just bored when I listen to the Minutemen - their music just sounds plain. It does nothing for me. I keep trying too. I went so far to buy a 180 gram vinyl edition of Double Nickels thinking that a vinyl listening experience would alter my opinion but it hasn't.

this is exactly why i started this thread. i have done the same thing with several artists. there's so much buzz around that i feel i need to work so hard to Get Into Them. maybe i just need to hear the vinyl, then i'll really get it and i'll i have new favorite artist i can become a completist with....!!!! it's just crazy and i've been doing it for years. the shadow side of music fandom :-)

The Wrens - I really love Meadowlands but their other albums also fall in the meh-category.

Roxy Music - My brother let me borrow a compilation album of their earlier stuff recently and I can't stand it.

You like the idea of the bands?

Lloyd Cole & The Commotions

I think that the songwriting is pretty good, but the production is always so dated, it ruins the experience for me. That said, I am still trying, because it is my type of thing. But... ugh!

Grinderman & any Jack White band other than The White Stripes!

This, plus the White Stripes. I probably like The Raconteurs best out of all of his bands, and that's mostly because I like Brendan Benson.

Not looking to piss anyone off but...

The Grateful Dead.

I don't bear the Dead any grudges, but I also don't listen to them.

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy

Yup.

For me, a current band that would qualify for this is The Black Keys. On paper, they should work for me more than they actually do.

Agreed.

Pearl Jam

Phish - Too bad they cant write a decent song.

Count me in. I don't mind Pearl Jam but I wouldn't spend any money on them.

I was part of a crew that interviewed Phish many years ago and got to hang out with them for a bit and watch their soundcheck, but I left before the show, because I had better things to do that evening.

decemberists

i've never listened to an album in it's entirety..colin's voice sounds like incessant whining after a few songs.

Same here.

I love all those bands.

Pink Floyd.

I run hot and cold on those guys. The stuff I love I really love. And then there's a lot of "meh."

Modest Mouse. Their music really intrigues me, and literally everybody i know who likes music and knows the bands i listen to says i should like them. But the songs just don't do anything for me in the end.

+1

Modest Mouse. Their music really intrigues me, and literally everybody i know who likes music and knows the bands i listen to says i should like them. But the songs just don't do anything for me in the end.

These guys, all their songs sound the same (the singer screaming and saying ho-ho-ho all the time), all their songs are way too long and all their albums have way too many songs. It's kind of a bummer that they've become one of my wife's favorite bands. I might have to pull the Zappa card on her. I only play Zappa when she's not around, so she should only play Modest Mouse when I'm not around. :P

I'll throw in Flaming Lips. I admire their ambition, but aside from a small handful of songs, they do nothing for me.

Pink Floyd.

for me they are more of a hot and cold band. some days i just can't get enough. other days, i want to shoot someone if i hear them. most of the big prog acts are that way with me.

This, plus the White Stripes. I probably like The Raconteurs best out of all of his bands, and that's mostly because I like Brendan Benson.

I don't bear the Dead any grudges, but I also don't listen to them.

Yup.

Agreed.

Count me in. I don't mind Pearl Jam but I wouldn't spend any money on them.

I was part of a crew that interviewed Phish many years ago and got to hang out with them for a bit and watch their soundcheck, but I left before the show, because I had better things to do that evening.

Same here.

I love all those bands.

I run hot and cold on those guys. The stuff I love I really love. And then there's a lot of "meh."

+1

so who do you like crypt? :-)

Those are great songs, as are "Riding With the Ghost" and "John Henry." I think that record is damn near perfect.

just went back and listened to this again, and it is damn near perfect.

so who do you like crypt? :-)

:lol Nobody. I hate music.

My tastes are wide-ranging, but it just so happens that a lot of bands already mentioned here are ones that I'm also not all that into. (And did you miss the "I love all those bands" comment in the middle of my post?)