Highly Praised Music Artists That Don't Do a Thing for You

This is sort of an offshoot of the Band that you like the 'idea of' rather than actually liking them thread.

There's a few that come to mind for me, but one in particular that has never worked for me is Kanye West. I think the guy is one of the most overrated musicians of recent times: he's an average rapper, less than average singer, and most of the good hooks in his songs are samples (Ray Charles, Curtis Mayfield, Steely Dan, Elton John...) It's a lot harder to write the hooks than to take them from someone else. I don't know, I just don't get all the critical praise heaped on the guy. At best this guy is a good cut and paster, that don't make him a genius musician or producer in my books. Write a song all by yourself Kanye, let's see how good you are then. Probably won't happen as it's really hard to do when you can barely sing or play an instrument :D.

So what highly praised artists do nothing for you?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radiohead.

I mean, I can appreciate them and all. And I can enjoy them here and there, maybe. But if I never hear them again, that would be okay. They just don't move me.

Oh yeah, and I hate The Doors. Ponderous. Pompous. Boring.

Animal Collective

Arcade Fire

Bon Iver

My Morning Jacket

Radiohead

Conor Oberst

Pearl Jam

Neutral Milk Hotel

This. (Slightly edited to fit my preferences.)

I'm sure I'll think of more.

edit: like Sufjan Stevens, for example.

Tom Waits

Bruce Springsteen

Elvis Costello

U2

Radiohead (I completely agree with the comments above regarding this band)

Arcade Fire

Doesn't Kayne go without saying, I mean really folks?

Also leave the Avetts out of this or I will get kind of frustrated! :dancing

I like Kanye.

No, he doesn't have Rakim's flow, and many of his hooks have fairly obvious sources. However, complaining about the hooks is pretty much besides the point, as his albums are densely layered enough to bear repeated listenings. Also, the stories he tells are strong enough and compelling enough, IMO, to make up for any perceived lack of flow.

Repeat: I like Kanye.

it's probably easier to list the few artists we do like.

for me...

coldplay

u2

white stripes

decemberists

pearl jam

radiohead

?

Tom Waits

Bruce Springsteen

Elvis Costello

U2

Radiohead (I completely agree with the comments above regarding this band)

Arcade Fire

Doesn't Kayne go without saying, I mean really folks?

Also leave the Avetts out of this or I will get kind of frustrated! :dancing

i'll add avetts. nothing to 'em.

redhotchilipeppersindex.jpg

I can't fathom how many people I know and have known that LOVE this band.

10 Grammy Awards?!

Their album tracks have to be amazing or something because all of the radio hits are pretty bad.

Maybe their live shows are amazing.

Perhaps they are the poster child for "Music For People Who Don't Like Music".

I like Kanye.

No, he doesn't have Rakim's flow, and many of his hooks have fairly obvious sources. However, complaining about the hooks is pretty much besides the point, as his albums are densely layered enough to bear repeated listenings. Also, the stories he tells are strong enough and compelling enough, IMO, to make up for any perceived lack of flow.

Repeat: I like Kanye.

This.

I said this in the Now Playing thread, but like him or not, he's made five critically and commercially acclaimed albums in a row. None of them really sound like the others, and he's done it while being pretty much the biggest male pop star in the world since LP1.

Pretty commendable, I'd say.

redhotchilipeppersindex.jpg

10 Grammy Awards?!

Their album tracks have to be amazing or something because all of the radio hits are pretty bad.

Maybe their live shows are amazing.

Perhaps they are the poster child for "Music For People Who Don't Like Music".

This.

I just can't stand that whole late 80's-early 90's rap-funk/rock genre (Faith No More, RHCP)

It's because Will Ferrell is their drummer.

This.

I said this in the Now Playing thread, but like him or not, he's made five critically and commercially acclaimed albums in a row. None of them really sound like the others, and he's done it while being pretty much the biggest male pop star in the world since LP1.

Yeah but he likes Fish Dicks.

Good one.. No matter how many times I've tried to like them, they just don't grab me. Feb 14th is the only song I really like by them *ducking to avoid the e-slaps by hardcore DBT fans*

Yeah, I was going to add them to mine, but I didn't really know how highly praised they really are (except around here). :lol

Guest Speed Racer

Commendable, sure, but that doesn't mean the music does anything for a lot of us.