Boulder Theater 1/8/11

OK, so I'm sure I'm off on the song order, but here's what he played tonight. Not a single repeat from Friday!

Sunken Treasure

Remember the Mountain Bed

Wait Up

She's a Jar

ELT

Summer Teeth

I'll Fight

Either Way

Theologians

I Must Be High

Radio King

You and I

Forget the Flowers

How to Fight Loneliness

Not For The Season

Someday Some Morning Sometime

Passenger Side

Red Eyed and Blue

I Got You

Heavy Metal Drummer

Fake Plastic Trees

Dreamer in my Dreams (without PA)

I thought tonight's show was better than last night. The crowd was much less boisterous, and Tweedy made light of how bad last night's crowd was (before repeatedly reminding us that he was kidding and he knew that a lot of us were there for both shows). Someone yelled out "Boulder sucks" at one point and Tweedy said "Every place kinda sucks. You have the mountains, so things can't suck too much." He also denied an autograph to the same fan who asked last night. Said he hiked Mt. Sanitas today; it's one of the best hikes in town, and I'm sure he appreciated the view from the top.

I'll leave it to others to correct the order of the set list. The first 3 and the last 6 are all accurate...

Here was the complete setlist, as played, for Night 2 at the Boulder Theater:

Sunken Treasure

Remember The Mountain Bed

Wait Up

How To Fight Loneliness

I'll Fight

Someday, Some Morning, Sometime

Not For The Season

You And I

She's A Jar

Either Way

Summer Teeth

I Must Be High

Theologians

Radio King

Forget The Flowers

ELT

Passenger Side

-----------------

Red-Eyed and Blue>

I Got You (At The End of the Century)

Heavy Metal Drummer

Fake Plastic Trees [Radiohead]

Dreamer In My Dreams (performed at edge of stage w/o PA system)

Very considerate of Jeff to play an entirely different set for folks who went to both shows. :thumbup Definitely a better show tonight, I think, and a much less rowdy crowd (which seems odd considering it was Saturday night).

Not that the relative lack of rowdiness meant Jeff had no witticisms to contribute. Somehow he got on the topic of booing and how people don't boo that much anymore. He then proceeded to boo the audience (jokingly) and encouraged the crowd to boo him after every song. He sort of stuck out his chest -- and did his Bruce Springsteen impression with his guitar dangling behind him -- and said he could take it. And laster he noted that when people traded tapes of the show, this one would be known as the one when people booed him after every song.

Other things I remember:

-After closing "How To Fight Loneliness" with a quiet fadeout, he explained that was "known as a live fade in the business." And he likened it to the old "descending the stairs behind a couch" trick except that there was no couch.

-When a guy from the first night asked again if Jeff would sign his copy of Adult Head, Jeff said he wouldn't and added that it would probably be rarer if he kept it unsigned because "we sign everything."

-Talking about how he had hiked Mount Sanitas earlier in the day, Jeff asked, "Do you guys all have dogs?" Apparently a lot of people walk their dogs up there.

-Right before he going into "Passenger Side," he said he would wait for a roving waitress to finish taking an order near the stage. "Make sure you tip her well," Jeff said. And then, addressing the waitress, he said it was nice of him to say that because "I was mad at you earlier. I know you were just doing your job...very loudly during one of my quiet songs." Some people booed then, perhaps in jest, but Jeff reiterated that people should tip her well and that pretty much defused any tension. :lol

And here was the Handsome Family's set for Night 2 (mostly the same as Night 1, but a couple of differences):

Weightless Again

The Bottomless Hole

Down In The Ground (w/"Pretty Polly" outro)

The Loneliness of Magnets

So Much Wine

After We Shot The Grizzly

When You Whispered

Don't Be Scared

All The Time In Airports

Up Falling Rock Hill

Pretty sure I saw a mic stand right out in front of the soundboard tonight... I don't think the signs out front said no audio taping, either. Video and cameras, yes, but not audio. Could be wrong, though.

Night two was definitely better than night one. Crowd was better, set list was better, everybody seemed in higher spirits (both drug-induced and non). I left last night kind of disappointed, but now I'm back to being stoked. :)

What a great setlist! Wait Up, Someday..., Summer Teeth, Either Way, ELT, Red-Eyed, Dreamer... all without a single repeat. Damn. Was this GA seated or assigned?

It would seem strange that suddenly no audio recording equipment would be allowed, especially since he referenced the live recording from stage.

P, any Boulder finds you recommend before we head that way in a couple of weeks?

Better show for night 2, better vibe, better set list etc. Yes the crowd was better, the audience participation was more interaction than interruption, not just random people forcing themselves into the show like the night before. It makes a difference, his mood was far better as a result. Though I am surprised he says some of the stuff he does, it was bordering on invitation since much of it inspired those who were firmly in their shells previously to come out. Either way, as mentioned earlier the flow of the show was more suited to it Sat.

Amazing show, and as mentioned definitely a better vibe than Friday night. Night #1 had plenty of laughs and definitely some strong musical moments, but I'm glad night #2 didn't turn out to be the same thing. Saturday definitely had a better flow and solid peaks that didn't seem possible on Friday with all the interruptions.

Sunken Treasure and Remember the Mountain were definitely big openers back to back. Only about 45 versus of lyrics there :-)

No repeats from the night before was a nice bonus. I expected a wide variety, but still thought there would be at least one or two repeats.

It would be a shame if no one taped this. Some very nice moments and with only a thousand people or so in attendance, it would be a good one to share with the rest of the world. I saw the no camera (video or still) policy, but didn't notice a 'no audio' policy. That said, sadly I didn't see anyone clamped up at the soundboard before or after the show. Not that someone couldn't have very quickly rigged up or down, hard for me to say.

Anyways, a true gem. Glad I got to see it.

I certainly loved both nights but the second night was better for all the reasons mentioned and I liked the setlist better. I definitely saw mics in front of the soundboard but just the one set. To answer the earlier question, seats were mostly reserved with a small GA section in back.

I think it's interesting that I payed $50 for my seats and someone sitting a foot in front of me in section A payed about twice as much. And we were raised up so to me they were better seats. At least the person I was chatting with right in front of me said that was the case. She had sat where I was the night before and it was way cheaper.

Interesting they had already ran out of posters by about 7:30 before night 2 even started. All the people that missed the first night were pretty much out of luck although pretty much everyone I talked to had been there the night before.

And to the guy who ran up to the front during the encore to stand in front of the people in the front row, what the hell were you thinking? You are lucky you didn't get a beat down.

And to the guy who ran up to the front during the encore to stand in front of the people in the front row, what the hell were you thinking? You are lucky you didn't get a beat down.

Ha, I had no idea he wasn't sitting where he eventually ended up standing. He obviously tried to justify it by flapping his arms around in an effort to encourage others, like anyone but him was ready to rush the stage, yo we weren't at a Jonas Bros show. Honestly I've never seen someone so twitterpated at a Wilco\Jeff show, the wild overhead clapping was a bit much, fully expected him to start waving a lighter. I'm guessing Jeff's Bay City Rollers comment made to those folks wasn't a compliment.

Moss, username sounds familiar. Are you the guy I gave my extra ticket to at the Jeff show at the Gothic a few years ago?

It's interesting reading all the posts about the raucous crowd on Friday night. I thought that this was much better than the last solo tour when Jeff came through (March 06). People were very quiet during the songs for the most part, with just the occasional idiot yelling or whooping. I thought both nights were very normal for this kind of show with the main difference being that Jeff seemed legitimately happy to be playing and was more than glad to engage in banter back and forth. That was NOT the case on his last solo tour through Denver/Boulder, where he was visibly and vocally pissed at the crowd. I think what he was saying the second night was completely tongue-in-cheek knowing that pretty much the whole crowd was the same people both nights.

I personally thought the fist night was better than the second night as far as feeling like a more cohesive setlist. I think most of the people liked the second night more just because it had older, rarer songs, but it didn't flow as well as the first night. Completely AWESOME that he didn't repeat a song both nights--not too many bands/people who WILL do that, much less that CAN do that. Showed Jeff's respect for the crowd, knowing that most of us were there for both nights.

First night, sans the Spiders microphone issue, sounded much better as far as the mix/overall sound. It is going to be a CRIME if nobody was rolling tape on these shows. Granted the general quietness during the songs, if anyone was taping, they probably got a really good sound. Really hoping recordings surface.

Moss, username sounds familiar. Are you the guy I gave my extra ticket to at the Jeff show at the Gothic a few years ago?

Sadly that was not me. I would have thanked you again by now!

P, any Boulder finds you recommend before we head that way in a couple of weeks?

Hey T...oh, you guys definitely need to check out The Alpaca Connection. Trust me! The Poets can back me up on this. It's right on the ped mall near the Boulder Theater (between 13th and 14th Streets, I think). :shifty

Basically it seemed like a lot of the restaurants and bar scene downtown revolved around the aforementioned ped mall, which is basically Pearl Street, so you guys will surely find your way over there. We had good meals at the West End Tavern and the Boulder Café. The former is a little ways up the mall (or is it down?) toward 9th St., and is right next door to the Jax Fish House which I would have loved to try and subsequently discovered is where former Top Chef winner Hosea Rosenberg is the executive chef. But the West End was a pretty good spot as well. The Boulder Café was a little bit more casual, but good too, and you can have fondue for half price during happy hour!

Another good place we ate was Snarf's, a local sandwich shop where they make a pretty good french dip.

Not sure if you guys will have a car, but if so it's worth a cruise up to north Boulder, sort of the last vestige of funky, old Boulder, or so I was told. There's a cool used vinyl shop up there called Absolute Vinyl next to a trailer park.

And if you have a car and the weather is good, it's definitely worth a cruise up in the mountains. We drove a little loop up to Estes Park on the Peak to Peak Highway (I think that's what it's called). :thumbup

right next door to the Jax Fish House which I would have loved to try and subsequently discovered is where former Top Chef winner Hosea Rosenberg is the executive chef.

I was told Hosea no longer cooks there unfortunately.

Don't forget about all the beer tasting rooms (if you like good beer). There are about 10 breweries in a 5 mile radius of the Boulder Mall.

I was told Hosea no longer cooks there unfortunately.

Don't forget about all the beer tasting rooms (if you like good beer). There are about 10 breweries in a 5 mile radius of the Boulder Mall.

Oh, really? That's too bad. I just happened to see it in a brochure later on. The menu still looked pretty good.

And yeah, they do like their beer (and marijuana) in that town. I was going to mention the Walnut Brewery, a block or two off the ped mall on Walnut St., that I went to last time I was in town. Didn't get back there this time, but that was a pretty good place if memory serves. :cheers

Also, I was going to mention that there are more than a few panhandlers on street corners with cardboard signs. I don't know if any of them have golden voices, though. :pirate

I'd do some looking around on Yelp and Open Table for suggestions (reviews) about things to eat and do in Boulder. Things are very hit and miss there, I've lived within 15-30 miles of Boulder my entire life. As far as food goes some of the best places are off the beaten path, up the road in Longmont, or in odd locations around Boulder proper. I suggest looking at Open Table because it's easy to link to menus and somewhat honest reviews, you can't post a review unless you've made a reservation and the restaurant confirms your visit. Problem I have dining in Boulder is the prices, what many restaurants have on their menus is 2-3 star food priced like 5 star food. As a foodie I tend to avoid it, the really good places to eat in the Denver metro area are in Lodo, Wash Park, Uptown and Cherry Creek. However there are some very cool places in Boulder, fine dining, wine bars, tapas joints, hot spots etc. The Pearl Street Mall is pretty fun on weekend afternoons, "pro" buskers, lots of people worth watching. Chautauqua park and dining hall are worth checking out for site-seeing.

Sorry to further derail this thread.

The Alpaca Connection is definitely worth a stop for something warm and fuzzy. :thumbup And for breakfast, head to the Original Pancake House on Canyon Blvd, next to the Marriott.

As for the show, I would never have imagined an entirely different set from the night before, incredible.

Can't wait to see your pics Josh!

The Alpaca Connection is definitely worth a stop for something warm and fuzzy. :thumbup And for breakfast, head to the Original Pancake House on Canyon Blvd, next to the Marriott.

As for the show, I would never have imagined an entirely different set from the night before, incredible.

Can't wait to see your pics Josh!

What a coincidence, I was just about to post them!

It's too bad Jeff was lit entirely from those two lights above and behind him. Between that and security making us shoot a mile from the stage, they aren't my best shots. At least they turned on some lights when the Handsome Family played!

Jeff Tweedy and The Handsome Family, Boulder Theater 01-08-11

As for the shows, I loved both of them. The unique setlists were awesome and took care of a couple of never-heard-live tunes for me (inluding She's a Jar :yes). I just can't believe I missed the amazing encore Saturday night. As it was, I made my plane with only 10 minutes to spare (and it would have been closer if not for the rental car shuttle driver coming back after seeing me running after him)! I grabbed a photo of the setlist before the show, but didn't look at it until I was on the plane. I saw that there was an entire song typed out on a piece of paper to the right of the list. When I zoomed in, I realized it was the lyrics to "Fake Plastic Trees" :o

There are few things I hate more in life than having a show ruined by other members of the crowd and it sucks to read there was a lot of that. I was extremely lucky to randomly get seats in the second row both nights (one seat apart!) and thankfully didn't experience any crowd distractions. I guess that makes up for missing the encore!

i feel very fortunate to have seen both nights. saturday was more to my liking, but i was happy to have been there for friday. i was impressed with the acoustics at the boulder theater. we sat in the balcony on saturday, and i think the sound was better there than it was in row 2 on friday. but then again i was directly in front of the loudmouth who wanted jeff to sign his adult head. what's the deal with people? does he not realize he is interfering with others? anyway, i was happy that jeff came to my home town. looking forward to solid sound...

What a coincidence, I was just about to post them!

It's too bad Jeff was lit entirely from those two lights above and behind him. Between that and security making us shoot a mile from the stage, they aren't my best shots. At least they turned on some lights when the Handsome Family played!

Jeff Tweedy and The Handsome Family, Boulder Theater 01-08-11

Great pics, thanks for the link!

So anybody caught wind of a recording of either night? There had to be SOMEONE...huge bummer if somehow both nights weren't captured.

Jeff's crew was recording, btw. Saw the ProTools interface rolling during the show from the balcony, so if nothing else there is a pristine board recording that exists. But I'm sure that's the case for every show these days.

So anybody caught wind of a recording of either night? There had to be SOMEONE...huge bummer if somehow both nights weren't captured.

Jeff's crew was recording, btw. Saw the ProTools interface rolling during the show from the balcony, so if nothing else there is a pristine board recording that exists. But I'm sure that's the case for every show these days.

If it was taped, it will appear the In a future age forum, (a forum here on the Via Chicago board.)

Thanks for the tips! We've done the Pearl St thing in the past, and our friends were married at Chautauqua (and we stayed in cabins there), so we've got a few things under our belts. We're taking the girls skiing one of the days, and then we'll have to hit a few of the places you mentioned. I'd love to go to the vinyl shop, but I don't foresee us putting many albums in our luggage. Or do I? :brow Because there's no way we'll go there and resist buying.

Hey, did you see the zip code guy? Or doesn't he "do" Pearl St. in the winter?