New Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit album due April 12

I'm digging it so far (about halfway through my first listen).

It takes me a few investigatory spins before I start to dig very deeply into lyrics, so I can't comment on the quality of those quite yet. But the sound of this one suits me just fine up to this point.

I'm digging it so far (about halfway through my first listen).

It takes me a few investigatory spins before I start to dig very deeply into lyrics, so I can't comment on the quality of those quite yet. But the sound of this one suits me just fine up to this point.

I got through it almost 2 times this morning on my commute since it's snowing like hell and traffic was brutal. I'm liking it quite a bit. Didn't get to really dig into lyrics as I was focusing on not sliding off the road. I like how he can change things up from song to song, a mishmash of country, Soul, Blues, Rock. And that voice can make almost anything sound good. Probably not as good as the last one but certainly a good record.

it grew on me a bit over the weekend, but still don't like it on the level of the first 2 yet.

i can't be the only one who cringes from the chorus on Codeine? :unsure sucks because musically i dig that song quite a bit.

I doubt I'll pick this up, since I didn't like either of the first two. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread (I'm too lazy to sift back through), but it definitely seems like he needs DBT and DBT needs him (although I haven't heard Go-Go Boots yet).

it grew on me a bit over the weekend, but still don't like it on the level of the first 2 yet.

i can't be the only one who cringes from the chorus on Codeine? :unsure sucks because musically i dig that song quite a bit.

oh no, i agree. is that the song with the line:

there are two things that i hate

having to cook & trying to date

those are two things that i hate

horrible.

horrible.

haha. yes. that's the one.

"she should be home by now but she ain't

well i shoulda gone by now but i can't"

whut?

horrible.

Although I do like the opening lyrics:

There's one thing I can't stand

it's this bar and this cover band

trying to fake their way through Castles made of sand

But yes, some of the other lyrics are a bit wince inducing.

The standout track so far for me is probably Go it Alone.

Although I do like the opening lyrics:

There's one thing I can't stand

it's this bar and this cover band

trying to fake their way through Castles made of sand

But yes, some of the other lyrics are a bit wince inducing.

The standout track so far for me is probably Go it Alone.

interesting that it's the only even remotely rock song on the album too... not saying i need an album full of scorchers, but a few more uptempo songs wouldn't hurt.

• 4 weeks later...

Jason just posted this on Facebook a little while ago:

Sometimes the best song on Earth, to me, is "Misunderstood".

That Jason is a smart dude. We should get him a copy of VC Tribute #3 because Merrick Section did such a terrific version of that! :cheers

• 1 month later...

Apparently the deluxe vinyl version of the album has a 7" that includes a cover of GBV's Everywhere with helicopter. That's tipped me in the vinyl direction for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

i really like this album. the slide guitar sounds like david lindley. i live in south, so even though i'm not a southerner i have a soft spot for jason and truckers. solid album in my opinion. cool artwork too. wish they were hitting atlanta on the current tour.

i really like this album. the slide guitar sounds like david lindley. i live in south, so even though i'm not a southerner i have a soft spot for jason and truckers. solid album in my opinion. cool artwork too. wish they were hitting atlanta on the current tour.

They played an awesome show last Thursday night at The Earl in Atlanta.

They played an awesome show last Thursday night at The Earl in Atlanta.

shit! i swore i didn't see ATL on their tour dates. well, that sucks. i also missed mark olson a few weeks back. hopefully he'll tour again in the fall or winter. i'm usually up on these things so i feel like a dumbass!

oh well:)

• 1 year later...
Elizabeth Cook and Jason Isbell perform two songs by the late Townes Van Zandt, "Tecumsah Valley" and "Pancho and Lefty," in this web-only exclusive.

http://www.cbs.com/l...fault&play=true

From yesterday on Late Night with Letterman.

Good stuff - I enjoy Elizabeth Cook's radio show, as well as her music - she sounds cool on her radio show and looks hot as hell.