New Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit album due April 12

Can't wait for this. The last one was SO good.

From the Lightning Rod Records website:

New Album From Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit Coming April 12

Here We Rest, new album from Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit, is set for an April 12th release on Lightning Rod Records. Here We Rest is the second album from Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit, and Isbell’s third. Their 2009 self-titled debut received high praise from the press, including Rolling Stone, Spin, Paste, Blurt, Details, Washington Post and many more.

An Alabama native, Isbell comes from a tradition of Southern music. He proudly embraces his roots, which shine through in his songs and even in the title of the new album. Here We Rest was Alabama’s original motto. However, instead of resting comfortably within its boundaries, Isbell, along with keyboardist Derry deBorja, guitarist Browan Lollar, drummer Chad Gamble and bassist Jimbo Hart transcend them. His thoughtful songwriting and warm, soulful voice are genuine, natural abilities that come through in the music.

From the soulful heartache of “We’ve Met” and “Save It For Sunday” to the country-infused folk of “Alabama Pines” and “Daisy Mae” to the old school R&B of Candi Staton’s “Heart On A String”, Here We Rest is steeped the best of southern American music. Isbell’s songs continue to reveal themselves the more you listen. From his lyrical depth to his vocals, his songs penetrate the heart and the mind, and stay with you. A true sign of great songwriting.

Here We Rest was produced by Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit and recorded at the legendary Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals, AL and at The NuttHouse in Sheffield, AL. Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit will be previewing the Here We Rest during South By Southwest in Austin, TX on March 17th. A full tour will follow the April release. Stay tuned for dates.

See track listing below.

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit Here We Rest – Track Listing

1.) Alabama Pines

2.) Go It Alone

3.) We’ve Met

4.) Codeine

5.) Stopping By

6.) Daisy Mae

7.) The Ballad Of Nobeard

8.) Never Could Believe

9.) Heart On A String

10.) Save It For Sunday

11.) Tour Of Duty

OK.

I thought the lyrics on the self-titled record were pretty great.

Yeah, what was wrong with the lyrics? I thought they were great. The lyrics to streetlights were brilliant (as one example).

I dunno, his lyrics just don't hit me like they used to. I am a firm believer that, so far, his best work has been with the Truckers. His first album was written/recorded when he was in DBT, so his second record was his first true solo joint. Not that it was bad, but it didn't knock my socks off either.

But, y'all are right, Streetlights is a great freaking song, but the rest of the album is just "meh" to me. That said, his bands seems to have gelled really well together and have only gotten better the 4-5 times I've seen them play.

YAY!!! The last one is in my top 5 for the last couple years. I can't seem to get sick of it. It was decisively less country/rootsy than all of his previous solo and DBT work, but super awesome nonetheless IMHO.

I took my wife and a group of friends to see him a few months back at The Double Door in Chicago. We went early for some cocktails, and sat in the basement, and ended up sitting right next to Jason and the band. Seemed like a nice enough group of guys. Anyway, we were sitting there and all of a sudden we hear this rattle and a huge THUMP. We looked over and a man had fallen all the way down the stairs, hit his head HARD, and was out-cold. His daughter, who was pretty wasted, was SCREAMING, the guy was bleeding all over the floor, she was saying that he was dead... it was like a really bad dream. Someone came over and couldn't feel a pulse, 911 was called immediately, and got there in about 10 minutes. He wasn't dead, but was having seizure-like symptoms. By this time he was out cold for quite a while, and fully motionless. The EMTS came, secured him, and took him away. The daughter was SO irate and inconsolable that the police that were call may have arrested her (can't confirm, but I think they did)

To make a long story boring... all 8 of our friends (pussies) left because it was so traumatic (which it kinda was). Refusing to have that be the last thought in my head before I went to sleep, my wife and I stayed and had a great time. He played all his old DBT standbys, and a great selection of his newer work. It was a great end to the night. He did passingly mention that he had gotten word that the man was going to survive the fall.... great news.

Thanks for listening!!

If anyone has ties to that camp... I'm sure that everyone would want to know how that poor fella is doing.

• 2 weeks later...

so this leaked few days ago and i hate to say this, as i totally love the guy...

through a half dozen listens it's just decent so far and i'd be lying if i said it wasn't my least favorite of his solo albums yet. hmm.gif

i feel like there's some pretty poor lows on here (esp. lyrically) with Codeine and Heart On A String (which despite the catchy chorus, sounds John Mayer or Amos Lee-ish) and unfortunately unlike the first 2 albums, it doesn't have the crushing highs to fully offset it. There's a lot to like, but so far little to love for me (if i had to pick a favorite i'd say maybe Stopping By or Tour of Duty, but neither would be among my fave Isbell songs). There's also only one rocker on the record, 'Go It Alone', (it reminds me very much of something he would have wrote for DBT, for better or worse).

maybe just a bit TOO slick/smooth/mellow sounding of a record for my own personal tastes or what I've always liked about him i suppose. i'm sure it'll find plenty of welcoming ears though.

def far from awful, but it's not exciting me much yet either so hopefully it grows on me.

I'm with Vacant. I'm really enjoying it so far. It's really hard to tell where it stands for me yet, but I keep wanting to listen, so that's a good thing. I actually like that there are more acoustic songs on this one.

As far as the break from DBT, though, Go Go Boots hasn't left my rotation. That's going to be a top 5 for me in 2011 no doubt.

Isbell needs the Truckers.

I find that bands with multiple songwriters, the best work usually occurs with the band rather than solo. Something about the inspiration and competition within a band with more than one songwriter that brings out the best work in people.

This was my most eagerly anticipated release this year, now I'm a little nervous that it may not live up to my personal hype. But I actually liked the the 2nd album better than the first so who knows. I think Jason's solo work stands up just fine to the work he did with the truckers. Can't wait to see if I can find this tonight.

I think it's unlikely that last nights guest spot with the Truckers means anything other than Jason playing with some old friends who are in town. That really doesn't make it any easier not imagine him being in DBT again though :cheers

I love the truckers just as much post Jason, but they were absolutely unhinged live when he was in the band. Can't help wanting to see that version of the band again.