The oddest, most incongruous covers that you can think of

"Behind the Mask" - Eric Clapton

(originally by Yellow Magic Orchestra)

I was talking to a friend of mine today, a guy that I DJed with in college. He was very into electronic music, and I was coming out of a big Clapton phase at the time, and really immersing myself in the underground stuff. One day, we shared a shift and each picked a bunch of records to spin. Stu spun the song:

"Behind the Mask" by Yellow Magic Orchestra

an early Japanese techno/electronica band from the 1970's. Early use of vocoders and all synths.

I recognized the track as having been covered by Clapton on his 1989 album August. Totally threw me for a loop.

Now, I can't say if it worked or not because most of Clapton's 80's stuff was pretty much crap anyway, so...

What are the tunes that you've heard covered that make absolutely NO sense?

Did it work?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great one, Richard!

I heard the Britney version recently and I didn't even turn it off, because I was thinking of this one the whole time. Gave me a new appreciation for what a well-written, hooky song it is. Glad to have heard it performed by somebody with a different sensibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y53USDXySC4

Robbie Fulks...Dancing Queen.

Definitely Works. Non-Ironic cover.

A good song will always come through in the end.

Who did the original of that Hugo one?

Jay-Z (edited to remove snarkiness)

and while we're at it...the KING OF ALL INCONGOUS COVERS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4hGSR5njZE

Plus...it's simply kick ass

Thank you for the snark removal.

And that is a very cool Snoop Dogg cover, too. That is what this thread is all about! Nice!

I was one of the background singers on this along with a couple hundered other people.

That is awesome. did you get to meet him?

Some friends and I went to Louisville to see some bands peform at some 2 day music industry thing (Paul Westerberg, Patti Smith, John Cale, Patty Griffin, Sonic Youth...). During the Ben Folds set, Ben setup a couple mics and told us that he wanted to record a chorus of voices for the Shatner song he was working on. He said he wanted to do it guerrilla style as it was cheaper than hiring all the musicians to do it in a studio. He basically directed us what to sing, and had us do about 3-4 takes. He had a signup sheet in the lobby for people if they wanted credit on the record.

Unfortunately Shatner wasn't there so we didn't get to meet him. We did meet Paul Westerberg and Patti Smith though.