• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Justin has never been one to pop out tons of material.. And it's not like his songs are incredibly complex either. But heck, for all we know he could have a hundred songs but only a select few make the cut... I know of many other artists that do that.. Band of Horses had 20+ songs written for their last album and only 12 made the cut...

About time it takes to record; it's interesting that the artists of yesterday would put out albums so quickly.. Buddy Holly is another one. I'm sure it had something to do with recording was a lot simpler in those days... You basically set up a mic or two, hit record, and you were good to go.. There was very little post production. These days records are recorded, mixed, mixed again, mastered, etc. etc. etc...

Bob Dylan released 'Bringing it all back home', 'Highway 61 Revisited' and 'Blone on Blonde' in eighteen months. That is truly one of the most staggering achievements in Rock history.

The big hitting Jazz boys in the fifties and sixties (Davis, Coltrane, Mingus etc) would put out several albums a year.

That said there's not a single Bon Iver song yet released that I haven't loved. This new track continues that trend.

Wasn't he just on one song? I doubt he was ever even in the studio with Kanye.

LouieB

there was a pfork article about him hanging out at Rick Ross's house or something with Kanye for a while in Hawaii I think.

Anyway, Dylan's recording method and Justin Vernon's are quite different. Dylan would routinely just launch into the song and the players had to hold on and just play along in many instances. And the jazz guys who released 2-3 albums a year were doing that mostly out of necessity. Gotta make money somehow...and the post production wasn't even that major. It's not like they were doing lots of layering or anything.

Anyway, Dylan's recording method and Justin Vernon's are quite different. Dylan would routinely just launch into the song and the players had to hold on and just play along in many instances. And the jazz guys who released 2-3 albums a year were doing that mostly out of necessity. Gotta make money somehow...and the post production wasn't even that major. It's not like they were doing lots of layering or anything.

I agree with the techniques involved in producing the respective records but my point relates the the volume of quality material produced in such a short period of time. Ryan Adams has done similar in the past, with varying degrees of success.

From a marketing point of view, in reference to a previous thread, artists don't need an album out every six months when you can release a record and then release a deluxe/special edition of the same record a few months down the line. Not that this is something I would imagine Bon Iver doing.

I agree with the techniques involved in producing the respective records but my point relates the the volume of quality material produced in such a short period of time. Ryan Adams has done similar in the past, with varying degrees of success.

From a marketing point of view, in reference to a previous thread, artists don't need an album out every six months when you can release a record and then release a deluxe/special edition of the same record a few months down the line. Not that this is something I would imagine Bon Iver doing.

I could see him releasing another "Blood Bank"-like EP in with some "Bon Iver, Bon Iver" castoff songs or something. Plus most bands make money from touring and licensing anyway more than actual CD sales, so they can survive two to three years without a new record by allowing these songs to be used in TV shows and stuff.

there was a pfork article about him hanging out at Rick Ross's house or something with Kanye for a while in Hawaii I think.

That must have been fun!!!

More details!!!

LouieB

That must have been fun!!!

More details!!!

LouieB

He mentioned that in response to you saying he was never actually in the studio with Kanye, so the sarcasm's a bit unnecessary.

Comparing anything in today's music world to the 50's and 60's is ridiculous. Things have changed. Just because an artist doesn't release at least one album a year doesn't mean they couldn't if the industry would allow it.

He mentioned that in response to you saying he was never actually in the studio with Kanye, so the sarcasm's a bit unnecessary.

Comparing anything in today's music world to the 50's and 60's is ridiculous. Things have changed. Just because an artist doesn't release at least one album a year doesn't mean they couldn't if the industry would allow it.

yes to all of this. and when Ryan Adams is dropping 5 albums a year, most of them suck.

yep.

thanks to a screw up on iTunes yesterday ohwell.gif

what exactly happened? that's kind of crazy.

yes to all of this. and when Ryan Adams is dropping 5 albums a year, most of them suck.

what exactly happened? that's kind of crazy.

i haven't heard what the official cause was yet... someone said they were supposed to put it up for pre-order on iTunes and instead it was pushed on-sale? then quickly corrected, but not before some people noticed and bought it.

not sure where the blame should be shouldered just yet... it's not the first time it's happened

i haven't heard what the official cause was yet... someone said they were supposed to put it up for pre-order on iTunes and instead it was pushed on-sale? then quickly corrected, but not before some people noticed and bought it.

not sure where the blame should be shouldered just yet... it's not the first time it's happened

Any chance they'll push up the release date because of it?

It does beg the question, though. Why is there a need to preorder anything on iTunes?

Any chance they'll push up the release date because of it?

It does beg the question, though. Why is there a need to preorder anything on iTunes?

pre-order = a push for first week sales numbers usually, whether it's physical product or digital.

it's not uncommon to do a pre-order special on iTunes with bonus tracks/videos/content.

i've heard there's a video for almost every song on the album, so maybe some of that was/will be included with pre-orders.

as for if they'll push up the release date... possibly. i guess it depends if they'll be able to fulfill physical orders that much earlier. i could see it maybe being pushed up a week or two tho if possible. it's tougher for smaller labels to pull that off it seems.

pre-order = a push for first week sales numbers usually, whether it's physical product or digital.

it's not uncommon to do a pre-order special on iTunes with bonus tracks/videos/content.

i've heard there's a video for almost every song on the album, so maybe some of that was/will be included with pre-orders.

as for if they'll push up the release date... possibly. i guess it depends if they'll be able to fulfill physical orders that much earlier. i could see it maybe being pushed up a week or two tho if possible. it's tougher for smaller labels to pull that off it seems.

I didn't think about the need for high first-week sales. And I've noticed the bonuses that come with pre-ordering. Of course, I'd be interested in the percentage of people who pre-order something who wouldn't ordinarily be buying it within that first week anyway. But that's academic. Even one extra sale makes it worth it, I guess.

as good as this record is, the lyrics make it hard to relate to.

I wish I had never read the words.

Can someone post a link where one of the songs is still available? I went to a couple sites and could not find an actual file.

LouieB