not anymore... oliver wakeman's out, geoff downes is in.

i'm a fan of Drama so seeing the band with Downes is a plus and draw for me. styx without Deyoung is a plus for me. he's such a cheese ball. don't think the show will be a train wreck. it'll def be solid, but not revolutionary. these bands just need to find ways to keep going. why not? some folks dig it, some folks don't. the question is, what the hell will we do in the summer when all the boomer bands are gone? well, i guess we'll see the boomer bands because having original members really doesn't seem to matter now...see Skynyrd :>{}

Yes. Again. Ha.

I liked that Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe LP. Probably better than some of the other Yes albums.

Also, this version of Yes has got Wakeman's son in it, not Wakeman.

i'm surprised at the love for the ABWH record on here. i've heard it a few times but couldn't whistle a tune if you paid me.

as i've said before, all these post 1979 albums from the dinosaurs would be at least listenable if they had dry, immediate, warm production a la wilco. let jim o'rourke produce 'em:)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can agree about Styx being better without Deyoung I guess. Will they sing Sail Away ?

I was, am a big Yes fan, and just think taking the money over waiting for Jon to heal was low.

Is it wrong to bring in a sound alike singer, and piss their fans off ? guess not to them. People are buying tickets.

it's not for me though. I hate when my fav old bands turn into cover bands of themselves.

i'm surprised at the love for the ABWH record on here. i've heard it a few times but couldn't whistle a tune if you paid me.

I could never get into it. I remember when it was new. I was a teenager and I was listening to it after school one day kind of loudly while hanging out in my bedroom. Our bug guy came to spray that day and came into my room and I was kind of embarassed by the music.

It might be interesting to hear it again after all these years. I know Bruford is proud of it, especially compared to Union, which he thought was atrocious.

I could never get into it. I remember when it was new. I was a teenager and I was listening to it after school one day kind of loudly while hanging out in my bedroom. Our bug guy came to spray that day and came into my room and I was kind of embarassed by the music.

It might be interesting to hear it again after all these years. I know Bruford is proud of it, especially compared to Union, which he thought was atrocious.

that story is hilarious!

btw-yes was pretty much a train wreck last night. quite uninspired. first two songs were good. styx was a classic rock show! tommy shaw has lost nothing. he's the real deal.

pss-jff, you going to wilco in atlanta in sept? we should shake hands.

c

that story is hilarious!

btw-yes was pretty much a train wreck last night. quite uninspired. first two songs were good. styx was a classic rock show! tommy shaw has lost nothing. he's the real deal.

pss-jff, you going to wilco in atlanta in sept? we should shake hands.

c

Sorry to hear they weren't very good. That's a bummer.

I doubt I'll go to the Atlanta show. I'm going to attemp to get Ryman tickets. I've too often left Atlanta Wilco shows in a bad mood thanks to all the talking, so I try to see them in nearby cities when possible. I have no idea why my luck is better elsewhere. maybe because Atlanta is so spread out that people meet up at concerts with local friends they don't see very often, and wind up talking all night.

Would be glad to shake your hand at some point, though.

• 3 years later...

RIP Chris Squire. Just read like a few weeks ago he was sitting out a tour for health reasons shame the hall if fame couldn't get them in before. Now they will get them in. Too late for chris. Great bass player.

• 2 weeks later...

A guy named Billy Sherwood was already lined up to do the tour. I think I read somewhere he was asked by Chris to do the tour - as he knew he could not make it.

Billy Sherwood and Chris go back a ways, Billy has been in Yes before, I think he's even produced an album or two for them.

Yeah, Sherwood is a longtime friend of the band.  He's a great bass player and vocalist.  The band has a tour scheduled for the fall in Europe where they are supposed to cover Drama and Fragile in full.  The next one to go will probably be Alan White, the drummer.  His tempos are so slow now.  

These bands are going to go on forever replacing one member after another as the years go on.  Not sure how I feel about it.  I think they should rebrand themselves as legacy acts rather than the actual band they've inherited.

The music of Yes is bigger than the people who are in the band playing it. As much as I mourn Chris' passing (he's a hero up there with Jerry & Lou for me), the philosophy stated in my first sentence should continue. Plus Chris tapped Billy to replace him, and surely that's good enough. Billy will honor the music and make Chris proud I have no doubt.