http://heavyrocktheplaylist.blogspot.com/2011/03/yes-new-album-fly-from-here-out-in-july.html

one of my guilty pleasures is prog-rock and, of course, Yes. they've made shitty music way way longer than they ever made good music, but i'm interested in this. i like the Drama album that had trevor horn from the buggles on it. he's looking rough though.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't get the guilty pleasure deal. What's wrong with liking great music made by musicians who are some of the best at what they do?

You do know that Jon Anderson is no longer in the band. They have a dude who was in a Yes tribute band as the lead singer now. He is really good, I think. His name is Benoît David. Also, Oliver Wakeman has replaced his father, Rick Wakeman on keyboards. Although, I guess Geoff Downes is back in the band now. I do have to say that although Alan White is great, Bill Bruford is the man.

Yes (1969)

Time and a Word (1970)

The Yes Album (1971)

Fragile (1971)

Close to the Edge (1972)

Yessongs (1973)

Tales from Topographic Oceans (1973)

Relayer (1974)

Going for the One (1977)

Tormato (1978)

I still don't get the guilty pleasure deal. What's wrong with liking great music made by musicians who are some of the best at what they do?

You do know that Jon Anderson is no longer in the band. They have a dude who was in a Yes tribute band as the lead singer now. He is really good, I think. His name is Benoît David. Also, Oliver Wakeman has replaced his father, Rick Wakeman on keyboards. Although, I guess Geoff Downes is back in the band now. I do have to say that although Alan White is great, Bill Bruford is the man.

i hesitated saying guilty pleasure. i love yes! there, i said it.

yeah, i've kept up with them through the years. you forgot the Drama (1980) album in you list. i really like that. kind of new wavey yes. they've had a few other good songs through the years, but man they've put out a lot of shit. i'm curious to hear this new one with downes and horn thought.

I am not very interested in the later day stuff. I am not really a fan of New Wave or Power Pop or whatever you call it. That sort of music just does not speak to me. Like a lot of other old bands, I guess they changed with the times. I suppose I have to respect that.

If you want to see something really cool, do a search on Youtube for an acoustic version of Long Distance Runaround from the 75 tour.

I have heard that Jon may be coming back. He is one of my favorite singers of all time, and I would love to see him some day.

The Yes Album and Fragile are superb records that I have enjoyed for many years. They really pulled it all together for those two.

I love yes but now that I think about it, it's really those 2 albums that I have always listened. I do own Relayer and close to the edge on vinyl and should probably pull those out again. Anderson is just an amazing singer and I love Steve Howe's playing. And that distinctive bass tone that Squire gets. I crank Starship Trooper every time it comes on, just amazing musicianship.

I am not very interested in the later day stuff. I am not really a fan of New Wave or Power Pop or whatever you call it. That sort of music just does not speak to me. Like a lot of other old bands, I guess they changed with the times. I suppose I have to respect that.

If you want to see something really cool, do a search on Youtube for an acoustic version of Long Distance Runaround from the 75 tour.

I have heard that Jon may be coming back. He is one of my favorite singers of all time, and I would love to see him some day.

i've seen that version of long distance run around. very cool. there's a complete live concert from that tour. really great.

btw-have you heard drama? maybe new wave is not the right way to describe it. it's def. yes, but with some more immediate early 80s production. there 3 gems on that album, Machine Messiah being one of them. great tune.

as far as john coming back, i can see that happening in a year or two after they get this album out of their system. but really, how much more can these dudes do. they've got to be killing themselves on the road and they aren't playing arenas anymore.

I love yes but now that I think about it, it's really those 2 albums that I have always listened. I do own Relayer and close to the edge on vinyl and should probably pull those out again. Anderson is just an amazing singer and I love Steve Howe's playing. And that distinctive bass tone that Squire gets. I crank Starship Trooper every time it comes on, just amazing musicianship.

right on! starship trooper and yours is no disgrace are just awesome. i like the album going for the one too. awaken is great. those live albums they did in the mid 90s called keys to ascension have some nice versions of older songs on them.

Like a lot of other old bands, they grabbed a sound a like dude and carried on. It seems odd, but I guess they give the fans what they want.

And You and I is one of my favorites.

It's sort of funny that Steve was tuning up, and it ends up on the beginning of the track.

I do have to say that although Alan White is great, Bill Bruford is the man.

Yeah, I'd love to see Bruford with Yes. Unfortunately, he has retired from playing.

Actually, I guess I have seen Bruford with Yes. I saw saw the Union tour, which included just about everyone who has ever been in the band. In a way, that tour doesn't really count since it was a novelty/gimmick tour to some extent.

Ultimately, I'd like to see the classic lineup w/ Wakeman, and I regret missing them a few years ago when they did the tour with all the Roger Dean stage sculptures.

Jon was ill, and wasn"t able to tour a couple of years ago, but is fine now, but Chris thinks he can"t handle singing throughout a long show. He has a point, but, it's really not Yes without Jon imo.

Plus, he has done all sorts of solo shows since he got better.

Fragile and Close to the Edge are fantastic records, but I'll take '80's King Crimson over '80's Yes.

Me too, thought I find it difficult to listen to Beat all the way through. Too little egg-headedness on that one. Usually that's a good thing, but not for KC.

Speaking of '80s Yes, Owner of a Lonely Heart is an absolute genius pop song and doesn't deserve the criticism it gets. Easily one of the best songs to make the charts since the mid '80s.

For me, Relayer is their best post-Bruford album. And I'll take the first two Steve Howe albums over anything Yes did after Relayer. I might even put Chris Squire's album above post-Relayer Yes. I'd have to give that one more thought.

saw yes in the round on the tormato tour. such great musicianship and anderson's singing is almost magical at times... a far cry from the meaty rock-n-roll kiss and aerosmith shows i'd seen the previous year...

kinda sad i missed out on the yes/asia show that was touring last year. a double dose of steve howe is not a bad thing!

I was just reading about the new record, without John, not cool. A big Yes fan, and at this point a tour without John is worthless to me.

they've been touring without jon for the last three years. as far as i can discern, the band wanted to do a tour and jon was unable, so they got the new guy. jon got better, but then started doing his own solo thing and was rumored to be pulling together something with trevor rabin. chris's most recent comments seem to indicate they will have jon back in the fold after the big album tour. who knows. can't believe there is still Yes drama after all these years. it's fun!

Like a lot of other old bands, they grabbed a sound a like dude and carried on. It seems odd, but I guess they give the fans what they want.

It's sort of funny that Steve was tuning up, and it ends up on the beginning of the track.

that's my favorite part of the tune.

btw-the main 'epic' tune on the new album is an outtake from the drama sessions.

Yeah, I'd love to see Bruford with Yes. Unfortunately, he has retired from playing.

Actually, I guess I have seen Bruford with Yes. I saw saw the Union tour, which included just about everyone who has ever been in the band. In a way, that tour doesn't really count since it was a novelty/gimmick tour to some extent.

Ultimately, I'd like to see the classic lineup w/ Wakeman, and I regret missing them a few years ago when they did the tour with all the Roger Dean stage sculptures.

i was at the one at lakewood in 2002.

Me too, thought I find it difficult to listen to Beat all the way through. Too little egg-headedness on that one. Usually that's a good thing, but not for KC.

Speaking of '80s Yes, Owner of a Lonely Heart is an absolute genius pop song and doesn't deserve the criticism it gets. Easily one of the best songs to make the charts since the mid '80s.

For me, Relayer is their best post-Bruford album. And I'll take the first two Steve Howe albums over anything Yes did after Relayer. I might even put Chris Squire's album above post-Relayer Yes. I'd have to give that one more thought.

love 80s KC. 90125 is about 3/4 a classic album. music top 40 was still pretty good up through 1984.

He gets such a great guitar sound on that song, so echo-ey and shimmering. The way those harmonics sound when he is tuning fit so well with the intro, it was a brilliant idea to leave that in.

i was at the one at lakewood in 2002.

That's where I saw them, but that was in 1990 or 1991.

I think the tour with the Roger Dean stage set was a half-house set up at Philips Arena. I really should have known betten than to skip that one. :ohwell

I think last time they came to Atlanta they played the Tabernacle, which only holds something like 3,500 people. I'm not even sure they sold that one out.

I think the tour with the Roger Dean stage set was a half-house set up at Philips Arena. I really should have known betten than to skip that one. :ohwell

I think last time they came to Atlanta they played the Tabernacle, which only holds something like 3,500 people. I'm not even sure they sold that one out.

oh i forgot about that phillips show. they had to cut the arena in half with curtains for that show. the tabernacle show seems like an embarrassment.

I saw them on that tour, too. Pretty decent show, from what I remember. The shed I saw them at was pretty empty, though it was at the horrible Tinley Park World Music Theater, so I do not blame Yes, particularly.

This thread reminds me that I am still looking for a copy of Yessongs with the booklet intact. I have an original pressing, but no booklet. Of course, the sound of that film/album is not exactly perfect.

I was huge yes fan in the 80's but was pissed I missed the glory years in the 70's. 90125 tour was the second show I ever saw. Now, the only 3 records I would think to listen to are going for the one, drama and 90125. Not that the troika of yes album, fragile and ctte aren't great but I just wore them out and have little.interest. I have seen video of this jonless lineup and thought it was kind of a joke but being a drama fan, this record with horn producing and geoff downes in the band has my interest up a little. Would've been cool if they they totally replicated the drama lineup and had horn sing imo but my guess is that his voice.must be shot or he has no interest in singing since its been so long.

I was huge yes fan in the 80's but was pissed I missed the glory years in the 70's. 90125 tour was the second show I ever saw. Now, the only 3 records I would think to listen to are going for the one, drama and 90125. Not that the troika of yes album, fragile and ctte aren't great but I just wore them out and have little.interest. I have seen video of this jonless lineup and thought it was kind of a joke but being a drama fan, this record with horn producing and geoff downes in the band has my interest up a little. Would've been cool if they they totally replicated the drama lineup and had horn sing imo but my guess is that his voice.must be shot or he has no interest in singing since its been so long.

that photo on the link i posted initially shows horn as not aging too well. i would definitely go see them if Downes was playing in the band. he's a powerful player. oliver wakemen is a nonentity from what i can see. i'm a drama fan too, so this seems interesting.