Nels in the Plastic Ono Band...

Saw it mentioned in Rolling Stone that Nels teamed up with Yoko and Sean at the SXSW in Austin. Did anyone see that show? I saw Sean last April in the balcony at a Wilco concert in New Jersey. I can see Nels and Yoko performing together doing that avant-garde stuff Yoko does so well.

i can picture that... but careful, there are yoko haters here ;)

FUG EM. The lady is a true original. I think the problem is most people who have heard her stuff don't listen to that sort of music in the first place, they're beatles fans. Its not surprising they don't get it.

When I read that Nels was playing in Yoko's band I couldn't think of a better match. SO PERFECT. Would love to see her with nels and thruston, now that would melt faces.

FUG EM. The lady is a true original. I think the problem is most people who have heard her stuff don't listen to that sort of music in the first place, they're beatles fans. Its not surprising they don't get it.

When I read that Nels was playing in Yoko's band I couldn't think of a better match. SO PERFECT. Would love to see her with nels and thruston, now that would melt faces.

I think this observation is very interesting. Because there's a fairly good chance that many Wilco fans are Beatles fans themselves, especially people that got aquainted with the band during the "Bennett years".

So, if we follow your idea, it wouldn't be surprising if they didn't "get" Nels' contribution to the band… See what I mean ? It could be an acurate description of the divide between people who prefer the Bennett line-up and people who prefer the current line-up.

Then again, some of the more "Beatley" music Wilco ever made is on SBS (Hate it Here) and W(TA) (Everlasting Everything)…

The obvious question that everyone has avoided asking at this point is this: Will Yoko be responsible for the breakup of another band? Breaking up the Beatles, I can almost excuse her for that, but if she breaks up the most stable version of Wilco ever, well, I just might have to get upset about that.

The obvious question that everyone has avoided asking at this point is this: Will Yoko be responsible for the breakup of another band? Breaking up the Beatles, I can almost excuse her for that, but if she breaks up the most stable version of Wilco ever, well, I just might have to get upset about that.

I thought it was Paul that broke up The Beatles....... but I understand it's easier to just blame Yoko!

I don't think Yoko is any more likely to lure Nels away from Wilco than are any of the other bands Nels plays with. Has Yoko expressed any desire for this to be an ongoing project that tours extensively? Because, unless Nels is tired of being in Wilco, I think that's what it would take for a project to lure him away. And in that case, it wouldn't really be Yoko's fault.

Yoko Ono barely tours or records. Even if Nels did work with her it would take barely any time.

I saw Yoko at Pitchfork a few years back. She was genuinely fun to see. Then again the excitment of actually seeing her overshadowed any of the lack of substance in her performance. It should also be noted that the place was packed when she started and the park emptied out during her performance so that by the end only about 1/3 or 1/4 of the audience was left.

LouieB

I'm pretty sure this is a joke, folks. But I guess if it ignites a spirited discussion, then play on!

While I'm not a huge Yoko Ono fan, I don't like seeing her maligned, either. It's silly to say that she'd break up Wilco--and while I read that as a joke, I'm sure there are people here who seriously think that. Nels is amazing at multitasking when it comes to his creative projects. And like Lou said, it's not like the Plastic Ono Band has a rigorous performing or recording schedule. It wouldn't shock me if he started working with them more regularly--it makes sense for a lot of reasons--but that's not really any different from any of the other side/solo projects the other guys have.

That said, the last two Wilco albums haven't shown off the full range of Nels' ability as a guitarist (or any of their abilities as musicians, really--Glenn especially, in my opinion). Maybe this will light a fire under Jeff and make him realize that he's not going to have this lineup forever and that maybe he should finally put together the album that shows off their strengths before one of them moves on to something else. It will be immensely disappointing to me if what I consider to be the best lineup of Wilco leaves behind a legacy of pretty lackluster albums. I know they're capable of a lot more.

That said, the last two Wilco albums haven't shown off the full range of Nels' ability as a guitarist (or any of their abilities as musicians, really--Glenn especially, in my opinion). Maybe this will light a fire under Jeff and make him realize that he's not going to have this lineup forever and that maybe he should finally put together the album that shows off their strengths before one of them moves on to something else. It will be immensely disappointing to me if what I consider to be the best lineup of Wilco leaves behind a legacy of pretty lackluster albums. I know they're capable of a lot more.

I sure agree with this. No band lasts forever no matter how great the chemistry, so this is the time to kick it into high gear. Since Glenn is now a father of two small children, the road may eventually wear him out. I hope not, but it is alot to ask for him to hit the road indefinitely.

LouieB

I thought it was Paul that broke up The Beatles....... but I understand it's easier to just blame Yoko!

I think Paul was the only one that had been keeping the band together for a few years by that point.

As far as Yoko, I have never heard a song by her that I wanted to hear again really but certainly have not dug deep into the oeuvre.

I'd like to think he has enough respect for the current members of Wilco that he wouldn't "fire" anybody. Then again, I'd also like to think he has the ability to write stronger songs than he has on the last two albums. Maybe I'm wrong about both things. I hope not, but it wouldn't shock me if I was.

At what point does Jeff + whoever else stop being Wilco, though? I mean, if there are major lineup changes in the next few years, why should Jeff keep the band name instead of just going off and being a solo artist with a backing band? I worry sometimes that that's how a lot people perceive Wilco anyway.

Guest Speed Racer

Of course it's Jeff's band. It's always been Jeff's band. And he calls it Wilco, so Wilco it will be. It will only stop being Wilco when Jeff doesn't call it Wilco any more.

Frankly, I think that the band would be a lot more creative with fewer cooks in the kitchen, but they're not going to lose anyone to a side project any time soon.

Of course it's Jeff's band. It's always been Jeff's band. And he calls it Wilco, so Wilco it will be. It will only stop being Wilco when Jeff doesn't call it Wilco any more.

Frankly, I think that the band would be a lot more creative with fewer cooks in the kitchen, but they're not going to lose anyone to a side project any time soon.

I'm not sure what you mean by cooks in the kitchen. YHF seemed to have Tweedy, Bennett and Kotche as the primary cooks, and then O'Rourke as a post-production cook. That's a lot of cooks.

In the current lineup, I see Tweedy as the only cook and everyone else as busboys and dishwashers. :lol

Guest Speed Racer

In the current lineup, I see Tweedy as the only cook and everyone else as busboys and dishwashers. :lol

I'll agree to that analogy, if you concede that the busboys and dishwashers are trying to stick their business into the food. :lol

I've said this a million times before, but the six-member arrangement simply means there are too many people playing at once. Some of the new songs I don't like at all, but other ones I don't like because of the arrangements. Solitaire, for insance: not counting the vocals, 10 instruments fill up the track. The arrangements don't sound orchestral to me with the big line-up, they sound cramped and crowded.

I'll agree to that analogy, if you concede that the busboys and dishwashers are trying to stick their business into the food. :lol

I've said this a million times before, but the six-member arrangement simply means there are too many people playing at once. Some of the new songs I don't like at all, but other ones I don't like because of the arrangements. Solitaire, for insance: not counting the vocals, 10 instruments fill up the track. The arrangements don't sound orchestral to me with the big line-up, they sound cramped and crowded.

I mostly agree. Sometimes they nail it, like the Ashes... on the first Austin City Limits, or Muzzle of Bees on Burn to Shine. For the most part, though, I think you're right. I definitely think they're capable of something extraordinary, but they haven't gotten it yet.

"Silencer", the debut album by the Nels Cline Trio has been reissued. I like all the Trio albums, but I think this one is the most consistent and enjoyable from start to finish.

cover_3281819112010.jpg

From the Downtown Music gallery mailing list:

NELS CLINE TRIO With MARK LONDON SIMS/MICHAEL PREUASSNER - Silencer

(enja 9568; Germany) Essential reissue from guitar god Nels Cline's

incredible (jazz/rock) power trio. I caught this trio at the old

Knitting Factory in the late eighties/early nineties and both

Thurston Moore & myself were completely blown away by their colossal

performance. All I can say is "Hallelujah", 'Silencer' is finally

back in print. This amazing trio made four fabulous albums and we

might still have copies of 'Chest' & 'Sad' on Little Brother around.

If only someone would reissue the ultra-obscure title 'Ground', then

those newer Nels Cline fan-addicts could die happy. - BLG

CD $13

It's odd that they call Ground obscure, because I had a much easier time finding that a few years back than I did Silencer. In fact, it took me a really long time to find a copy of Silencer that I could afford. A few copies I was bidding on on ebay ended up going for over $40. It's been awhile since I've listened to any of the Trio albums. Maybe I'll break them out this weekend.