Music in a foreign language? You listen to much?

I am, right now, listening to Gilberto Gil; a 1998 album of his called O Sol de Oslo. He's Brazilian and sings almost exclusively in Portugese. I don't speak Portugese. Somehow, this does not diminish my enjoyment of the album. It used to when I was younger, but when I hit 20 or so, it just started to not matter.

I don't listen to opera and I never have.

And, you know, as a songwriter, the story told in a song (or at least some sort of meaning) DOES mean something to me. Still... great music is great music and I have been loving a lot of Brazilian stuff, and some Rock en Español, and even some old Italian psych and prog.

I can't explain it. Except to say that it speaks to me in other ways.

How about you? What do you listen to in foreign languages, if anything?

Off the top of my head here are some of the artists that I've been listening to a lot:

Gilberto Gil (Brazil)

Tom Zé (Brazil)

Caetano Veloso (Brazil)

Os Mutantes (Brazil)

Leo Lago (Brazil)

Café Tacuba (Mexico)

Bloque (Columbia)

Kinky (Mexico)

Caesaria Evora (Cabo Verde)

Les Orme (Italy)

Cornershop (England, but they frequently sing in Punjabi)

Sigur Ros ("Hopelandic" -- a made-up language with elements of Icelandic, and many others)

Trio (Germany)

What do you get from the foreign sounds that you listen to? Do you seek them out? Why? Why not?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serge Gainsbourg - still sounds pervy despite (or maybe because of?) the language barrier. Great pop melodies, though.

That is somebody that I have been wanting to get into for a while now, but I just don't know where to start. Thanks for the reminder.

I am, right now, listening to Gilberto Gil; a 1998 album of his called O Sol de Oslo. He's Brazilian and sings almost exclusively in Portugese. I don't speak Portugese. Somehow, this does not diminish my enjoyment of the album. It used to when I was younger, but when I hit 20 or so, it just started to not matter.

I don't listen to opera and I never have.

And, you know, as a songwriter, the story told in a song (or at least some sort of meaning) DOES mean something to me. Still... great music is great music and I have been loving a lot of Brazilian stuff, and some Rock en Español, and even some old Italian psych and prog.

I can't explain it. Except to say that it speaks to me in other ways.

How about you? What do you listen to in foreign languages, if anything?

Off the top of my head here are some of the artists that I've been listening to a lot:

Gilberto Gil (Brazil)

Tom Zé (Brazil)

Caetano Veloso (Brazil)

Os Mutantes (Brazil)

Leo Lago (Brazil)

Café Tacuba (Mexico)

Bloque (Columbia)

Kinky (Mexico)

Caesaria Evora (Cabo Verde)

Les Orme (Italy)

Cornershop (England, but they frequently sing in Punjabi)

Sigur Ros ("Hopelandic" -- a made-up language with elements of Icelandic, and many others)

Trio (Germany)

What do you get from the foreign sounds that you listen to? Do you seek them out? Why? Why not?

Great topic, and I too listen to a great deal of Brazilian music --- have since I was a toddler, when my dad was getting a master's in latin american history and somehow stumbled onto the bossa nova scene.

Some additional artists that I listen to:

Joao Gilberto - If you like Veloso, this is a natural. The "Brasil" album with him and Veloso and Gil is remarkable. Also, the "Live at Montreaux" is almost hypnotic.

Antonio Carlos Jobim - Duh. Rough discography to get through because of some saccharine production, but there are a lot of great songs and albums, particularly from a melodic structure standpoint. "Wave" and "Stone Flower" are both pretty essential, and eMusic just uploaded this fascinating solo live show ("Live at Minas", I think) which is very revealing from an artistic perspective.

Chico Buraque - Another good one to start in on.

I wouldn't say I necessarily seek out the foreign stuff, but if I have a chance to listen, I will. I'm a songwriter and spare-time recording artist and I have always enjoyed hearing how different cultures process music --- in terms of song structure, instrumentation, and even production.

Your mention of Italian psych and prog has me wanting to learn more. :) Who would you recommend I check out?

Your mention of Italian psych and prog has me wanting to learn more. :) Who would you recommend I check out?

f16253bv73v.jpg

This excellent recording is largely considered to be Le Orme's magnum opus. The trio, comprised of Aldo Tagliapietra (vocals, bass, guitar), Toni Pagliuca (organ/Mellotron, piano), and Michi Dei Rossi (drums), produced some of the best Italian progressive rock ever recorded. Influenced by Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Genesis, the band forged their own unique blend of sophisticated symphonic prog rock. Tagliapietra's vocals give the music an ethereal quality, and he actually sounds quite a bit like Sting (or the other way around). Their high level of musicianship is evident on "Sospesi Nell 'Incredibile," but the focus is more on mood, song structure, and texture. The original recording contains Italian lyrics, while Van Der Graaf Generator vocalist Peter Hammill penned English lyrics for a subsequent release. Stick with the Italian version for the full effect of this prog rock classic.

That is somebody that I have been wanting to get into for a while now, but I just don't know where to start. Thanks for the reminder.

My suggestion would be to start with Histoire du Melodie Nelson and one of the comps of his late 60's pop stuff (probably Comic Strip) - both are now available as domestic releases so they're pretty reasonable price-wise.

My suggestion would be to start with Histoire du Melodie Nelson and one of the comps of his late 60's pop stuff (probably Comic Strip) - both are now available as domestic releases so they're pretty reasonable price-wise.

Purchased. Thanks for the rec!

That was fun Froggie. Any idea what tweede means in english? :lol (one of the lyrics)

I'm listening to tonnes of Spanish language music because I'm learning the language.

Various Artists - Roots Of Chicha Barbes Records

crazy Puruvian psychedelic guitar music from the 70's .

Chico Trujillo - Chico de Oro - Hugely successful group in Chile that tear it up live

Jessy Bulbo - Telememe, Taras Bulba - punky mexican

Susana Baca - Vestida de Vida - soulful Puruvian

Rita Indiana & Los Misterios - El juidero - check out the blacksploitation video for el juidero

Deñver - Música, Gramática, Gimnasia - love the track Los Adolescentes

Lisandro Meza - Universidad de la Cumbia - rocks the accordion

Melingo - Meldito Tango -been called the Argentinian tom waits

Tabu Ley Rochereau - The Voice Of Lightness - West African? great guitar and a heartbreaking voice

Umalali - The Garifuna Women's Project - African dark minor key rhythmic heaviness

Great topic, and I too listen to a great deal of Brazilian music --- have since I was a toddler, when my dad was getting a master's in latin american history and somehow stumbled onto the bossa nova scene.

Antonio Carlos Jobim - Duh. Rough discography to get through because of some saccharine production, but there are a lot of great songs and albums, particularly from a melodic structure standpoint. "Wave" and "Stone Flower" are both pretty essential, and eMusic just uploaded this fascinating solo live show ("Live at Minas", I think) which is very revealing from an artistic perspective.

Elis Regina is a fav of mine she does a lovely duet with Jobim on Águas de Março.

From wikipedia Elis Regina is widely regarded as the best Brazilian singer of all times by many critics, musicians, and commentators !!!Yikes!!!

Gilberto Gil (Brazil)

Tom Zé (Brazil)

Caetano Veloso (Brazil)

Os Mutantes (Brazil)

Those artists definitely make my list too, as do these ones:

Serge Gainsbourg (France)

Jacque Dutronc (France)

Jacques Brel (France)

Fela Kuti (Nigeria)

Babatunde Olatunji (Nigeria)

Thomas Mapfumo (Zimbabwe)

Hugh Masekela (South Africa)

Miriam Makeba (South Africa)

Jorge Ben (Brazil)

Antonio Carlos Jobim (Brazil)

Gal Costa (Brazil)

Milton Nascimento (Brazil)

Lô Borges (Brazil)

Fabrizio De André (Italy)

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch...

Jacque Dutronc (France)

definately him. thanks to you i heard of him, and i ended up buying an EP's Boxset which is just fantastic. highly recommended him.

also, Michel Polnareff (which is what i mentioned in the first place to make you mention Dutronc, i think). pretty weird orchestral stuff, but very very inventive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thF36JttZcs

That Michel Polnareff is fantastic. Where to start with him?

definately him. thanks to you i heard of him, and i ended up buying an EP's Boxset which is just fantastic. highly recommended him.

also, Michel Polnareff (which is what i mentioned in the first place to make you mention Dutronc, i think). pretty weird orchestral stuff, but very very inventive:

And thanks to you for the heads up on Polnareff. I ordered "Polnareff" as it's available and looks like the best place to start.

That Michel Polnareff is fantastic. Where to start with him?

start with his first album, i'll explain below . . .

And thanks to you for the heads up on Polnareff. I ordered "Polnareff" as it's available and looks like the best place to start.

do you mean you ordered this or this ?

his third album is called Polnareff's, whilst his first album is called Michel Polnareff or (on the cd i've got it's called) Love Me, Please Love Me

i'd start off with his first album which is this (i'll link to rateyourmusic pages, so you can see the album covers), and then move on to his second album, which is this (here is where it gets a little confusing again, as that is titled Volume 2 or Le Bal Des Laze - which has Polnareff as a kid with white sunglasses on, and the rest of the cover is white), then finally this if you're still interested - this album is over the top on every possible. below is the second track from the album - it's all massively over-the-toplike this, but great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQsWjNMfLb8

also, poptodd you have to check out Jacques Dutronc - listen to these tracks from youtube, he's absolutely brilliant:

it's all great. with him you can get his first 2 albums easily. but, i opted to buy a Boxset of his EP's which was his first 4 albums, but i don't know if that's avaliable in America, you'd have to check that yourself

do you mean you ordered this or this ?

I ordered the 3rd and the 1st one too. Couldn't find the 2nd one in stock so will have to wait on that one.

edit: found the 2nd one at Amazon.com.