My link

Rolling Stone can confirm reports that Clarence Clemons has had a stroke. The news broke this evening at 411.com, which reported that Clemons is "seriously ill after a stroke at his home in Florida." We have no information on the severity of the stroke, but we have independently confirmed that the E Street Band saxophonist has suffered a stroke.

Clemons has gone through a series of medical ailments - mostly involving his back and knees - over the past decade. He hasn't missed any concerts, but the conditions caused him to suffer a tremendous amount of pain and discomfort. "That last tour was hell," Clemons told Rolling Stone in February. "Pure hell." In the past year Clemons had both knees replaced and spinal fusion surgery. "The timing was perfect because it didn't interfere with a lot of stuff that was going on in my life," he says. "It made me stronger, and for the past year I've been in physical therapy a few days a week working my ass off to get back in shape. I'm walking better now, though I still use a cane and crutches. But now I'm having hip problems again. I don't know why."

Clemons last performed with Springsteen and the E Street Band in December of 2010 at Asbury Park's Carousel House for a special web broadcast taping. He performs on two songs on Lady Gaga's new album Born This Way, and just last month played "Edge of Glory" with her at the season finale of American Idol. He was supposed to play the national anthem before Game 2 of the NBA Finals last week, but a hand injury forced him to cancel at the last minute. He watched the game in the stands with Tim Hardaway and Alonzo Mourning.

When Rolling Stone spoke to Clemons in February he said that virtually nothing would take him off the road with Springsteen and The E Street Band. "As long as my mouth, hands and brain still work I'll be out there doing it," he said. "I'm going to keep going 'til I'm not there anymore. This is what's keeping me alive and feeling young and inspired. My spiritual teacher Sri Chinmoy told me that my purpose in life is to bring joy and light to the world, and I don't know any better way to do then what I'm doing now."

Big vibes for The Big Man.

One of those guys that I think begets nothing but good will.

Back on your feet soon, Clarence.

http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

from Backstreets, very postive news:

"MIRACLES ARE HAPPENING"

The latest out of Florida has Clarence Clemons in better condition than anyone expected, a close friend tells Backstreets: "Yesterday, it did not look good at all. Today... miracles are happening. His vital signs are improving. He's responsive. His eyes are welling up when we're talking to him. He was paralyzed on his left side, but now he's squeezing with his left hand. This is the best news we've heard since [the stroke] happened — it's nothing short of miraculous. The next five days will still be critical. But he's a fighter."

Please join us in continuing to send prayers, love, and light to the Big Man.

- June 13, 2011

To me he has always been the one member of the E Street Band that is totally irreplaceable. Sure it's hard to imagine the band without Roy or Garry, but no harder than Danny and they persevered after his death. Max missed multiple shows on the last tour as his son filled in, and Stevie quit the band even before Bruce let everyone else go in the 80's, but really it is hard for me to fathom how they could even call it the E Street Band without Clarence. I hope against all hope that he gets well, but his health in general isn't going to ever be too great. I spent a lot of time thinking about the legacy of the band on the last tour and wondered if time would allow them to continue much longer. I hope we get a few more shows out of Clarence, but if and when he goes to be so goes the band.

NOOOOOOOO! :( I love Estreet Band! RIP

as much as Wilco is my go to band. Bruce and E Street was the band I have seen the most live..I think I was up to about 25 or so. Last time I saw the band was back in 2009 doing the River live! It was epic! I was planning on going to the Greetings show in Buffalo but couldn't swing it....may now be my number 1 concert regret of all time! Clarence was so pivital to Bruce's sound. This Jersey boy is saddened! :upset

Well fuck! Glad to have spent so many wonderful and life-affirming nights in his presence and hundreds more as the soundtrack to my life. If indeed this is the end of the E Street Band, than it marks the end of one of the greatest American bands of all time. Danny and now Clarence both passing without being in the RNR HOF is a crime. Can't listen to "Jungleland" just yet, maybe in a couple of days.

This is certainly a very sad day for those of us who have followed Bruce since 1974. Clarence was a larger than life character. His relationship with Bruce was emblematic of the cameraderie that fueled the band.

I cannot imagine Bruce ever using the E Street Band name ever again. I assume that he will eventually return to music. Maybe to seek solace but certainly to affirm the ties that bind us all.

Clarence will be missed.

and immediately cue up "Night", and the rest of that record.

i was away all day- mount gretna, pa lake

i was going to old ice cream shops

and visiting friends moms' just to say hey

i was hoping for more good news

full

Recovery. you

know stuff like that.

As someone who was raised on Bruce and the E street band since birth (20 years ago), this news was absolutely devastating. Couldn't imagine sadder news. I was lucky enough to see the last show of their last tour (Buffalo, where they did Greetings in its entirety) and if only i had known that was the last time i'd see the E street band with Clarence. The band will go on, but will never be the same.

I remember, i was at the show in tampa in 2008, the first E street band show after Danny passed away. It was one of the most powerful things i've ever experienced. Lots of mourning, but a strong sense of celebration of Danny's life. Hopefully Clarence will receive similar treatment, because though the band won't be the same, I think they'll somehow find a way to work through it, and find something good out of this horrible occurrence.

Rest in peace Big Man.

Aw, damn. I loved Clarence. Rest in peace, you big sweetheart. Bruce must be devastated. :ohwell

Somewhere around here I've got Clarence's autograph...a girlfriend snagged that for me years ago. I'll have to dig that out. Something the Big Man once touched, like the hearts of so many music fans. So sad to learn of his passing.

As someone who was raised on Bruce and the E street band since birth (20 years ago), this news was absolutely devastating. Couldn't imagine sadder news. I was lucky enough to see the last show of their last tour (Buffalo, where they did Greetings in its entirety) and if only i had known that was the last time i'd see the E street band with Clarence. The band will go on, but will never be the same.

well, that's an interesting situation for Bruce to ponder...for one, i think it'd be a bit sacrilegious to hire another sax player and still call it the E Street Band...

As much as I don't want the Estreet band to end the irony is the way they ended it playing Greetings From Asbury Park the first album is fitting. Wish the show wasn't in Buffalo but in Jersey but that is another issue. Still it is a fitting ending as the band we knew as the Estreet Band.