Jeff Tweedy - 7/8/11 Door Auditorium

I'm sorry I don't have a setlist to post, but I'm sure some reliable person will post or link to it soonly. :thumbup

It was a wonderful night in Fish Creek with friendly faces I always love to see. :cheers The venue was small and quiet, and Jeff had some great quips and commentary from the stage. (Dare I say a smattering of comments?) One of my favorites was when he had been talking about American Idol, prefaced the next song with, "This is another song they wouldn't play on American Idol," and afterward aped Randy Jackson: "It was a little pitchy, Dawg, but it was alright." :lol

As for highlights from the set list, Bull Black Nova and Deeper Down stand out as special treats. He also played three songs from the upcoming album: Born Alone (love that riff!), I Might (the whole thing kicks ass), and Dawned On Me. At Solid Sound, Dawned On Me didn't distinguish itself, but it did tonight. I'm eager to hear it from the full band again.

I thought it was a great crowd. There was a lot of enthusiasm and "WOOOOO"ing after songs, some shouted requests between songs, etc., but there was complete silence (from what I could tell) during the songs--even during typical sing-a-longs. I don't remember the last time I heard Jeff sing all of Jesus, Etc. by himself, and I enjoyed it thoroughly tonight. Seeing his acoustic playing on some of those songs is just ridiculous as well. What a great night! I'm so glad he came into the thumb of the mitten. :)

I'm sorry I don't have a setlist to post, but I'm sure some reliable person will post or link to it soonly. :thumbup

Here's the complete setlist for Door Community Auditorium, and a little commentary...

I thought it was a great crowd. There was a lot of enthusiasm and "WOOOOO"ing after songs, some shouted requests between songs, etc., but there was complete silence (from what I could tell) during the songs--even during typical sing-a-longs. I don't remember the last time I heard Jeff sing all of Jesus, Etc. by himself, and I enjoyed it thoroughly tonight. Seeing his acoustic playing on some of those songs is just ridiculous as well. What a great night! I'm so glad he came into the thumb of the mitten. :)

Thumb of the mitten...I love it! Great to see you guys, as always! And P.S., I totally forgot to say thanks for procuring the tickets...:cheekkiss

Here's the complete setlist for Door Community Auditorium, and a little commentary...

Nice commentary, P. Gun is another one that I hadn't heard in such a quiet room in a long time. Thanks, Eddd.

And P.S., I totally forgot to say thanks for procuring the tickets...:cheekkiss

You're so welcome, of course. :cheekkiss

I can't believe I'd never been to Door County before this weekend! I've got to find more time to explore the northern parts of my state. The show was a great time, and I second the positive comments about the audience. "Bull Black Nova" was a major highlight for me. Wonderfully creepy. Loving the new songs solo, too. Friday was my first time hearing "Open Mind," because I've been avoiding any video or audio until I can hear songs for myself in person. I'm looking forward to September.

Not for the Season was a highlight for me, great guitar work. New songs sounded great.

After he did a J. Lo and Jackson impersonation, I was hoping for a Tyler' one. We listened to Kicking Television on the way up there and for some reason I thought of Jeff's banter regarding American Idol at one of those shows. When he started to talk about it about on Friday night, I was thinking he may need to go to some A.I. support group. But, he is not ashamed and he is not in any denial - which is good. :lol

He also did a great Mr Burn's "excellent" impersonation.

Only spent less than 24 hours up there, but it is very nice; decent enough camping at Peninsula State Park.

I still haven't recooped from my weekend, and I this is the best way a weekend can start! When arriving in Fish Creek, "The Tourist" was playing loudly from my car. It wasn't planned, but I had been listening to Ok Computer all the way through--I like how things work out that way. Besides being a beautiful town, Fish Creek is a tourist trap. I didn't know why I should have expected anything else, but I was really disappointed with the cost and the bustle of the city. It sits below a bluff and runs right into Lake Michigan; the prefect setting for relaxation...and filled with Chicago/Wisconsin money (won't rant more about that).

The Door County Auditorium is on the far end of town--a paltry one mile hike from the other side--and it looks rather unassuming from the outside. It's attached to the local elementary school which means no alcohol sales. Score that as a major plus for me. I think that helped this crowd to be more subdued than other shows. There were a fair number of locals, likely patrons with season passes, and they seemed to respond well to the music. One lady near me got awkwardly close to the stage during the last two songs, but I'm glad to see her enthralled with Jeff and the Resonator.

The entire show was mesmerizing. I really enjoyed hearing the new songs all stripped down, particularly I Might. Bull Black Nova was just plain creepy. Fans of this song need to find a copy of it acoustic; I do realize that there are only 2-3 shows where this is possible, but I now have a new appreciation for the song. For personal reasons, Open Mind will crush me any time I hear it, and having Jeff right in front of me nearly had me in tears. The entire set was solid. I could not have asked for anything more.

His banter was classic--much more conversational than normal. I think that helped endear him to the locals and led to many, many laughs. I wished I remembered more of it!

Part of why I enjoyed this show as much as I did was the company around me. It was great to see friends again and meet new ones too. I had the great fortune of sitting next to Mr. Bbop (the seventh or fifth or sixth member of Wilco, depending on your incarnation of the band). That was such a treat for me because of your knowledge of the music and your passion. Your appropriate singing was also welcome!

This probably was a one-time shot of seeing Jeff or Wilco play in such a remote city. I feel lucky to have been a part of it.

I still haven't recooped from my weekend, and I this is the best way a weekend can start! When arriving in Fish Creek, "The Tourist" was playing loudly from my car. It wasn't planned, but I had been listening to Ok Computer all the way through--I like how things work out that way. Besides being a beautiful town, Fish Creek is a tourist trap. I didn't know why I should have expected anything else, but I was really disappointed with the cost and the bustle of the city. It sits below a bluff and runs right into Lake Michigan; the prefect setting for relaxation...and filled with Chicago/Wisconsin money (won't rant more about that).

The Door County Auditorium is on the far end of town--a paltry one mile hike from the other side--and it looks rather unassuming from the outside. It's attached to the local elementary school which means no alcohol sales. Score that as a major plus for me. I think that helped this crowd to be more subdued than other shows. There were a fair number of locals, likely patrons with season passes, and they seemed to respond well to the music. One lady near me got awkwardly close to the stage during the last two songs, but I'm glad to see her enthralled with Jeff and the Resonator.

The entire show was mesmerizing. I really enjoyed hearing the new songs all stripped down, particularly I Might. Bull Black Nova was just plain creepy. Fans of this song need to find a copy of it acoustic; I do realize that there are only 2-3 shows where this is possible, but I now have a new appreciation for the song. For personal reasons, Open Mind will crush me any time I hear it, and having Jeff right in front of me nearly had me in tears. The entire set was solid. I could not have asked for anything more.

His banter was classic--much more conversational than normal. I think that helped endear him to the locals and led to many, many laughs. I wished I remembered more of it!

Part of why I enjoyed this show as much as I did was the company around me. It was great to see friends again and meet new ones too. I had the great fortune of sitting next to Mr. Bbop (the seventh or fifth or sixth member of Wilco, depending on your incarnation of the band). That was such a treat for me because of your knowledge of the music and your passion. Your appropriate singing was also welcome!

This probably was a one-time shot of seeing Jeff or Wilco play in such a remote city. I feel lucky to have been a part of it.

Everyone that has heard Bull Black Nova in its solo acoustic rendition has remarked how good it is in that setting. Is it similar to Spiders/Kidsmoke in that the ensemble and acoustic arrangements are quite different?

Great show as noted by everyone. I was in second row center / stage left (saw group of familiar faces center stage right front row - will say hello next time)...Jeff was really tight and in my opinion seemed to be having a better time than the march 2011 madison show. I agree with most of the comments. Bull Black Nova was cool (my wife has never liked the electric version but loved the acoustic); gun was great as well, and passenger side. My wife took the following clandestine iphone shot. Anyone tape this?????

jeff_tweedy2011_07_08.jpg

Everyone that has heard Bull Black Nova in its solo acoustic rendition has remarked how good it is in that setting. Is it similar to Spiders/Kidsmoke in that the ensemble and acoustic arrangements are quite different?

No, I wouldn't say it's similar at all. Spiders acoustic has a much softer sound to it than Spiders electric, but BBN acoustic isn't softer. It's spooky because it's so sparse. The lyrics are loud over the often single-string guitar line. Then at the end he delivers a single, desperate, "Pick up." He doesn't scream it like in the electric version--he begs a single time. So creepy.

No, I wouldn't say it's similar at all. Spiders acoustic has a much softer sound to it than Spiders electric, but BBN acoustic isn't softer. It's spooky because it's so sparse. The lyrics are loud over the often single-string guitar line. Then at the end he delivers a single, desperate, "Pick up." He doesn't scream it like in the electric version--he begs a single time. So creepy.

Here's hoping a version pops up in the Roadcase sometime.

BBN was quite chilling, it conjured images of "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer", and that really messed with my head.