Torn Achilles tendon anyone?

The achilles is the worst. I didn't tear mine but I broke my ankle almost two years ago (requiring surgery) and had to keep my ankle immobile for several weeks which lead to extreme stiffness and almost no range of motion in the achilles when I was able to start walking again. Getting the flexibility and range of motion back was brutal. It's a long slow process where you make miniscule gains everyday. It took me close to a year of PT and I'm still not 100% there after almost 2 years.

(Didn't stop me from going to Solid Sound 2 years in a row though :D )

I wish you the best in your recovery.

Sorry to hear. Vacation injuries are the worst -- I was once lucky enough to crush my heelbone while on vacation in a tiny Mexican village, not fun! -- but a torn achilles sounds rough. Get yourself a good PT person, even if you have to pay out of your own pocket for it. Your initial recovery is going to have a huge effect on your long-term ability to return to normal.

Good luck!

I've had three different serious left foot injuries, including one surgery, but I barely missed the achilles by about a couple of centimeters. I feel for you, but I echo the PT-from-the-get-go advice. Atrophy is a bitch to overcome. I think I only came back about 95% after the third injury, partly because I didn't do enough assigned exercises from the start. The swelling made it real hard to do anything, but I should have pushed a little harder. Maybe I would have gotten back to 98-99%.

Vibes to you:

I tore my Right Achilles probably twelve or thirteen years ago in a pick-up game of basketball at a work event where we were visiting a local gym. I was a heavy runner at the time and it kinda devastated me psychologically for a bit. They ( my surgeon and Physical Therapists) started me on PT surprisingly quickly. It was a solid year before I felt strong enough to run/train with others again and a full two before I felt I was back to where I’d been before.

I'll gladly trade you this plantar fasciitis for that torn achilles. I'm sure yours hurts more but I don't see mine going away anytime soon.

No you won't. You might trade, but you won't be glad.

I have plantar fasciitis. It sucks a lot, but it's nothing compared the the devastation of a torn achilles.

No you won't. You might trade, but you won't be glad.

I have plantar fasciitis. It sucks a lot, but it's nothing compared the the devastation of a torn achilles.

I know it just felt good to do some anonymous whining about my tender feet since everybody in my house is just about over.

I am know sporting my second cast - tilts foot at an angle to try and lessen the lentgh of the tendon. First cast I've ever had and it's wierd becasue its removable ... Hard to rest it with 2 small kids but not having to work has helped a lot I think. I can now put pressure on it which I couldn't do before (ie) press down on just my toes.