One Sunday Morning (Vinyl Version aka definitve version)

Does it annoy anyone else that the Vinyl cut of One Sunday Morning is 14 minutes long? The 12 minute version on the CD has a obvious fade out at the end of it, while the vinyl version actually has a few more minutes and comes to an actual end. I just don't understand the reason to cut this song on the CD.

I mean it's cool that Wilco are giving Vinyl buyers an extra incentive, but in the end it just makes having a "definitive" tracklisting impossible.

Whatever...love the extended cut, and I am going to rip it and replace my mp3 version of the gimped song right away.

i should mention in those 2 minutes you get some cool guitar noodling, not even heard in the original song.

I've listened once to the extended version, and I wasn't moved. In fact, I found myself thinking "Not over, still?" for the first time.

I'm also deeply disappointed that the sub-par Sometimes It Happens follows it (and that Whole Love does not precede it).

I realize they thought they needed a 'fix' to have the album fill four sides, but messing with the sequencing like that was not the way to go (really, how do you put a song - any song - after One Sunday Morning? It's ridiculous).

I'll be playing the CD a lot more than the vinyl, which is a shame, because the vinyl sounds better.

I haven't heard the vinyl version yet. It will take a while to reach me in Belgium I guess. But I can say that I like the fadeout at the end of the CD version because it gives the impression that this song will go on forever -- something I would be happy for it to do.

I'm also bummed that the song order is different on the vinyl, with an extra song. I like the order of Whole Love and One Sunday Morning. It feels like the perfect ending.

But I guess in the old days of vinyl there were always issues with song order etc. I have a live album from the J. Geils band where the Love Rap spoken intro to Love Stinks ends side one just as Peter Wolf says "LOVE...." and you have to flip over to side two to hear him say "STINKS!!"

I think its kinda nuts to put different versions of such an important song out but whatever, its not like you cant get it. To that end, anyone who would like to do a nice rip of the vinyl and send me a pm, id be grateful. I even show you my best buy proof of purchaseof the cd if you like.

As far as I know the only place to get the 14 minute version of the song is on the vinyl. The song goes on for almost exactly 2 minutes longer and has a really awesome conclusion compared to the fade out.

The song Sometimes it happens actually ends in a fade out, and feels like it ends way too soon. It's weird.

Wilco records are usually a little different than the CD/digital tracks, right? I remember YHF has some fun, if slight, changes. I wholly support bands that use different takes/mixes for a vinyl release, as well as changing up the track order, or even adding/removing songs. Listening to a record is a bit of an event, and from my experience if I haven't pulled a record out in a while (and have become accustomed to the digital version), every little difference makes the experience that much fresher and pleasurable.

That's not to say any particular change can't be a bad decision, but what use is there for having one "definitive version"?

No song should ever end in a fadeout.

some songs want to evoke the feeling of the sound being slowly lost in the distance, which I find works in some cases. In others, it's clearly lazy songwriting/engineering

picking up my vinyl on the way home from work tonight, can't wait!

Guest McGuffin

Am I the only one for whom OSM isn't doing much? It's my opinion that the song drones on about twice as long as it should until about the eight minute mark, where it starts to pick up steam. Maybe I'll need repeated listens. I still think the album gets a bit weak in the second half - just as the last two albums did.

No song should ever end in a fadeout. It's just a pet peeve of mine and I find it to be an unsatisfying and lazy way to end a song. Wilco was guilty of that a few times on this album. But I'll forgive them!

I have often thought the opposite. I miss the way songs used to fade out. Was a staple of the '60 and '70's, I believe. Radio edits or in some cases even doing it for the radio. But I always like a good fade.

Am I the only one for whom OSM isn't doing much? It's my opinion that the song drones on about twice as long as it should until about the eight minute mark, where it starts to pick up steam. Maybe I'll need repeated listens. I still think the album gets a bit weak in the second half - just as the last two albums did.

I agree with you about OSM (It could end at around the three minute mark as far as I'm concerned) but I like Whole Love, Capital City and Standing O which I think are on the second half of the CD. I think those three songs are better than most of WTA with the exception of One Wing and You Never Know. By the way I really like Sometimes It Happens which I just downloaded from iTunes. I know it's a cover but it has more life than the other bonus tracks other than I Love My Label.

So I guess the album hasnt grown on you yet? Are you a fan of Mermaid Ave, Summerteeth or Being There? Because this album reminds me more of those records then Yankee or GiB, although bits of those are on here too. I can see if all you want is Advant Rock Wilco then this could be a bit disappointed, but I think most long term fans will agree that the entire record is excellent. I don't dislike a single track. Compared to Wilco the Album, where I disliked a majority of them.

No, I think OSM is as close to perfect as I could hope for in a song. The vinyl version is even more perfect, if that makes any sense whatsoever.

the final 2 minutes of the vinyl version is fantastic. Not sure why they would cut that off the CD version.

Agree. A sense of closure, sort of. I loved the way the CD version ended, it left me with the idea it could go on forever. Then I hear this, and where it should stop,and like it even more. And the vinyl truly brings out the sound. Can't believe the texture, layering, etc. I am glad I upgraded my turntable for this album. Waiting on vinyl version of YHF I ordered a week ago. And Sky Blue Sky. I know experts say CD is better, but vinyl has this rich sound that can;t be replicated on a computer.

I may be jumping the gun here, maybe still feeling those initial jittery butterflies with the album, but this song could possibly become my favorite Wilco song of all time. Great lyrics, I love how it rolls along so unrushed, beautiful subtle guitar and piano fills. I love that they did an extended song like this and agree that the vinyl is the defenitive version. This song in a way reminds me of that brief quiet part at the end of You Are My Face.