Has anyone been through a divorce?

I am thinking about divorcing my wife. I was wondering if there are any peeps out there that have survived a divorce who have any words of advice.

I know it is a heavy topic for this forum, but it is kind of related. Me and my wife are just moving in totally different directions. She doesn't like music at all. Especially not the kind of music that I am into. I want to be free to smoke weed and listen to music and go to concerts and shit like that. I have given all of that up because she is totally against it.

After we were married she became a conservative born again christian.

Any advice from people who have been through divorce is really welcomed.

I have never been through a divorce, but my wife and I have had our share of ups & downs. I would suggest you attempt marriage counseling before jumping into a divorce, though -- even though you guys seem to be headed in the opposite directions, it might help bring your paths into closer alignment.

I am thinking about divorcing my wife. I was wondering if there are any peeps out there that have survived a divorce who have any words of advice.

I know it is a heavy topic for this forum, but it is kind of related. Me and my wife are just moving in totally different directions. She doesn't like music at all. Especially not the kind of music that I am into. I want to be free to smoke weed and listen to music and go to concerts and shit like that. I have given all of that up because she is totally against it.

If you don't have any kids to protect I would start being free and smokin weed(if you want) and listening to music and going to concerts and if she can't let you live how you want to live then hell with her its your life. If you do have kids its not just your life and you need to do whats best for them. If you follow this advice I will need you to mail me a check for $90 though whether it works or not.

I want to be free to smoke weed and listen to music and go to concerts and shit like that.

If those are the first three reasons that come to mind, then the first thing you need to do is grow up.

Like Ficky McFickerson said, do your soon-to-be-ex-wife a favor and let her get on with her life.

Now that that's out of the way, how about posting a picture of her boobs?

Guest Hollinger.

You sound like a fucking tool, dude/bro. Let her find someone worth being married to. Pack your bong and go occupy Wall Street.

God people are such condescending pricks on this board. It really is lame. Sad I suppose.

I think people putting foots down about someone smoking pot (i dont right now) is ridiculous. Also he said she became a born again christian (something he obviously is not) and he loves music and wants to go to concerts. What the HELL is wrong with him having the priorities of freedom to express himself and freedom to not deal with an exact opposite theologian?

HE would be doing HER a favor?? hows that??

You sound like a fucking tool, dude/bro. Let her find someone worth being married to. Pack your bong and go occupy Wall Street.

Oh wow another winner at life!!

Guest Hollinger.

Because there's a fucking difference between "My wife's values changed after we married" and "I want to get high and listen to music."

And isn't a whole lot different from "My wife doesn't agree with me getting high."

The born again Christian / conservative thing is definitely a deal breaker, especially if this is not what/who you married. Just my opinion. I'm happily married for 14 years but if I was in your shoes, I'd be freaked out.

In all seriousness, I just got divorced, and my suggestion would be to go through mediation. A mediation attorney is a neutral party who can still give each of you some advice on how to do things amicably. If things turn nasty, and the discussions break down, both parties have the option of going out and getting individual attorneys and bringing them back to the table.

My wife and I did it that way, and it went very smoothly. It helped that we didn't have major assets to contest and didn't disagree on anything, but the mediation attorney also helped in preparing all the paperwork properly, so it was worth spending that money to make sure we do everything correctly. As of now, the papers have already been filed, so I am essentially single now and looking forward to moving on.