Mermaid Ave III - Anyone seen this?

Finally watched "Man in the Sand" last night. Bit of a wankfest for Billy Bragg, cobbled-together footage of him visiting various landmarks associated with Woody Guthrie and jabbering on with Nora. I was hoping for more footage and a deeper look into the actual making of the albums -- writing/rehearsing, recording, etc. -- it was there, but in what I felt were tiny, nondescript doses.

Nonetheless, I did enjoy seeing some footage of an era of Wilco that I hadn't seen before, particularly the scruffy, grizzled visages of Tweedy/Bennett. The extended sequence of laying down a track of "When the Roses Bloom Again" was really nice. I really dig this transition period of Wilco, coming off the smashing success of Being There and prior to the sharp left-hand turn of Summerteeth.

Got the box set over a month ago, but only watched the doco last night. I quite enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of footage of the creative and recording process (after the first 25 minutes or so I feared that it was just going to be shots of Bragg getting his photo taken in front of Guthrie paraphernalia). We also get a glimpse of the friction between Tweedy and Bragg towards the end – and you always want a bit of drama in a music doco.

Mostly I’m glad that it’s taken me back to listening to those original MA albums. I love Jay’s Hammond work and how it is so high up in the mix. I love the looseness of it all. Some of those recordings have the energy of a demo. I think it will trigger a period of me listening to Summerteeth, Being There and YHF all over again.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will trigger a period of me listening to Summerteeth, Being There and YHF all over again.

Actually, it mostly seems to have triggered a period of listening to “Remember the Mountain Bed” over and over and over….

• 2 years later...

I thought it was nice to see a line about Jay in both this and the Alpha boxset. I have not listened to Mermaid Ave. in years. It still sounds good.

I still think When The Roses Bloom Again is one of the greatest Wilco songs. I recall first hearing it on a Oxford American Southern magazine cd.