Mermaid Ave III - Anyone seen this?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I don't own any of the Mermaid Avenue I'll be purchasing this for the first time, so I won't be upgrading. Whether this is a convenient purchase I don't know, since I'm paying what it would cost to acquire them separately (more or less).

Actually I wanted to buy Mermaid back in November but when I learnt of the March release I decided to wait. Not long ago dBoon here recomemded "I guess I planted" which I think it's on the first Mermaid, it's really a nice rock song.

How did u remember that??

Im pretty sure they sing the "yeah yeah yeah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah" or something like that at the end.

i would pay 500 to see that one time live. mermaid one was one of my first wilco things and i listened to it about 1000 times at work while testing software. i know one time i listened to "i guess i planted" no less than 10 times back to back. love love love love that tune.

Listening to the Wind that Blows -- excellent track. Grab it from Tweedy's last solo show at Lounge Ax. Looking forward to hearing this treatment.

I actually recorded that song based off the live performance. I wanted to release it on my band's album, but after talking to Nora Guthrie, we couldn't until Jeff/Wilco released it first based on copyright laws.

How did u remember that??

Im pretty sure they sing the "yeah yeah yeah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah" or something like that at the end.

i would pay 500 to see that one time live. mermaid one was one of my first wilco things and i listened to it about 1000 times at work while testing software. i know one time i listened to "i guess i planted" no less than 10 times back to back. love love love love that tune.

It just stuck with me because I thought it was an odd choice for a favorite "Wilco" song, even if their role is that of backing band and backing vocalists. But it is a good song.

I actually recorded that song based off the live performance. I wanted to release it on my band's album, but after talking to Nora Guthrie, we couldn't until Jeff/Wilco released it first based on copyright laws.

I really hope it's a full band treatment. I'd love to hear what the Wilco of 1997-1998 would've done with that song.

I went with nonesuch, regular standard shipping is free, the total was $36.00, i was sold on getting the mp3's included on the day of release and the exclusive print. not a bad deal with this bundle.

On the acclaimed Mermaid Avenue albums, Billy Bragg and Wilco put music to lyrics by folk legend Woody Guthrie for which he had not written music or made recordings. Tweedy and Bragg were "the perfect pair to conclude that Guthrie ... was a prophetic rock-and-roller with a whole lot to say," said the New York Times. On April 21, Nonesuch will release Mermaid Avenue: The Complete Sessions, which includes the original two volumes of Mermaid Avenue (the second re-mastered); a third volume with 17 previously unreleased recordings from those sessions; the 1999 documentary on the sessions, Man in the Sand; and a 48-page booklet with new liner notes by Nora Guthrie, lyrics, archival photographs, and facsimiles of lyric sheets and sketches by Woody Guthrie. Pre-orders include an exclusive print of Guthrie’s lyric sheet for “Hoodoo Voodoo.”

Any word on a vinyl boxset? Surely they would make a killing from just people who post on viachicago, haha.

The Nonesuch site doesn't seem to have anything on it but the fact it is being released on Record Store Day would strongly suggest there will be vinyl, but if it's a RSD-thing, they probably won't be doing preorders.

From the horse's mouth:

"Thank you all for your suggestions of releasing the box on vinyl. As for now, the compilation is scheduled as a 3CD+DVD set. The third volume will also be available on its own digitally starting release day. We will certainly take your suggestions regarding vinyl into consideration."

From the horse's mouth:

"Thank you all for your suggestions of releasing the box on vinyl. As for now, the compilation is scheduled as a 3CD+DVD set. The third volume will also be available on its own digitally starting release day. We will certainly take your suggestions regarding vinyl into consideration."

Why does Woody Guthrie hate vinyl?

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon shows that it will be released on March 27th, but my confirmation email from blowitouttahere says April 21st...pretty big discrepancy.

I wonder if anyone knows when it will actually come out...

It doesn't show up on the Record Store Day official site but most stores seem to be listing online it with their RSD items so I bet the 21st.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what songs are Bragg's and what ones are Wilco's on Vol. III?

Bragg : Bugeye Jim, My Thirty Thousand, Ought to Be Satisfied Now, Go Down to the Water, Don't You Marry, Union Prayer

Wilco : When the Roses Bloom Again, Listening to the Wind That Blows, Chain of Broken Hearts, The Jolly Banker (who knows for sure when this was recorded ?), Ain'ta Gonna Grieve

Bragg (vocal) & Wilco (band) : Jailcell Blues (not 100%sure who sings lead), Give Me a Nail, Be Kind to the Boy on the Road, I'm out to Get

Corey Harris (I think) : Gotta Work, Tea Bag Blues

Finally watched "Man in the Sand" last night. Bit of a wankfest for Billy Bragg, cobbled-together footage of him visiting various landmarks associated with Woody Guthrie and jabbering on with Nora. I was hoping for more footage and a deeper look into the actual making of the albums -- writing/rehearsing, recording, etc. -- it was there, but in what I felt were tiny, nondescript doses.

Nonetheless, I did enjoy seeing some footage of an era of Wilco that I hadn't seen before, particularly the scruffy, grizzled visages of Tweedy/Bennett. The extended sequence of laying down a track of "When the Roses Bloom Again" was really nice. I really dig this transition period of Wilco, coming off the smashing success of Being There and prior to the sharp left-hand turn of Summerteeth.

You can now listen to a small sample of each song on Amazon. Seems heavier on Bragg and lighter on Wilco than the first two.

http://www.amazon.com/Mermaid-Avenue-Vol-III/dp/B007SQC8W2/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1334552729&sr=8-16

Also, where have I heard "Listening To The Wind That Blows" before? Has Jeff played it solo before?

You can now listen to a small sample of each song on Amazon. Seems heavier on Bragg and lighter on Wilco than the first two.

http://www.amazon.com/Mermaid-Avenue-Vol-III/dp/B007SQC8W2/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1334552729&sr=8-16

Also, where have I heard "Listening To The Wind That Blows" before? Has Jeff played it solo before?

Lounge Ax recording. His final performance there, January 2000. That's where I've heard it.