just typical ultrawide lens distortion. i bet it's real.

What kind of weirdo would photoshop this?

Nels and Bill Frisell are friends. I have no doubt this photo is real. I'm just curious when Wilco shared a bill with him. Actually, that orange Tele looks like the one Nels has been playing, so maybe Bill was just dropping by the backstage area while attending a Wilco show and they decided to jam.

So -- back on topic. Since this thread was started I've gone back to the live recordings from 2001-2003, the "beginnings" of Glenn's time with Wilco. There's a real rawness to those performances, like those guys were playing for their lives. It's clear that Jeff was really energized by his collaborations with Glenn and needed him to help propel Wilco in the direction he had been envisioning.

And for the record -- I think Ken Coomer was badass too.

What kind of weirdo would photoshop this?

Nels and Bill Frisell are friends. I have no doubt this photo is real. I'm just curious when Wilco shared a bill with him. Actually, that orange Tele looks like the one Nels has been playing, so maybe Bill was just dropping by the backstage area while attending a Wilco show and they decided to jam.

If I remember well there's some recording in Owl & Bear with Frisell joining the band in 'California Stars'

If I remember well there's some recording in Owl & Bear with Frisell joining the band in 'California Stars'

Pretty sure it was in Seattle, where Frisell lives. And that orange Tele is Nels' -- it's a Nashguitars model, I believe (they make vintage custom Fenders from various parts).

• 3 years later...

Thought I'd bring attention to this tweet. New On Filmore?

Day 4 begins at April Base Studios. Justin Vernon @boniver has created a #magicalplace here. @williamtylertn @glennkotche #unforgettalble

I think Darin posted that this is the first time he and Glenn have been sidemen together in a long time. I don't know for sure, but maybe they're working on William Tyler's record? Or someone else's...

From Darin's Facebook:

Glenn Kotche and I have been together for almost 20 years now, this is the first record (outside of On Fillmore) that we have played together on as session musicians since our mutual best friend Jim O'Rourke's record Insignificance, which I think we made in 1998.

I think Darin posted that this is the first time he and Glenn have been sidemen together in a long time. I don't know for sure, but maybe they're working on William Tyler's record? Or someone else's...

From Darin's Facebook:

I think you're right. He commented positively about William Tyler's last record. Like maybe they're working on his next record.

From an instagram post: Well, this William Tyler ( @williamtylertn ) album is gonna be a serious ordeal. Phil Cook + Darin Gray + Glenn Kotche + William Tyler = heavy scene. Special times up in WI.

And Darin tweeted this morning that he's sorry the sessions are over.

So, looks like we've got something exciting to look forward to!

Since this thread was started I've gone back to the live recordings from 2001-2003, the "beginnings" of Glenn's time with Wilco. There's a real rawness to those performances, like those guys were playing for their lives. It's clear that Jeff was really energized by his collaborations with Glenn and needed him to help propel Wilco in the direction he had been envisioning.

The 2002 era is still my favorite era of live Wilco shows. The older tunes had real drive and raw energy, and the newer ones were no longer unpolished like they were when first unveiled in 2001. I saw them 3 times in one week (hmm, I'm doing that again this April), and I wished I could have caught even more shows!