After 10 years with the little musical combo we like to refer to as "Wilco...the greatest band in the world" (the we being D-man and me), I think it is time to reflect on something I distinctly remember reading some dismissive articles about Mr. Kotche back in the early days of the release of YHF.

I wish I could remember the publication I read this in (so I could impart the proper level of deserved ridicule), but I distinctly remember some writer portraying Glenn as some yahoo that Jeff pulled off the street. I remember him being referred to in a dismissive fashion citing his teaching drumming lessons for a high school or Jr. High. This was cited as a sneering career retrospective for Glenn.

At the time of the brouhaha over YHF, Tweedy was being portrayed as an insane genius (akin to Jeff Mangum), so this probably fit in with said writer's agenda.

Wilco hit it's new groove with the addition of Glenn. The man can do the polyrhythmic gymnastics as well as pound the rocking groove. His contributions to the band in the evolution of the Wilco sound are really indispensible. Glenn and John lock into a groove that pushes and pulls the band.

I cannot imagine any resolution if Glenn were to decide to pursue other career options. While Jeff feels John is THE truly indispensible member of the band (probably as much emotionally as musically)1, I think any changes from this point might spell the end of Wilco as a band.

(Sorry...bored at work, hip and knee hurting, and needing some more discussion to read here)

1 See Ashes of American Flage.

A hairdo that just co-produced an incredible album.

But to address Crow's point -- I think John and Glenn are equally indispensable. And I loved Ken Coomer's playing. Nobody quite hit those skins as hard as he did. Glenn's skills are paramount to the Wilco sound. I think it was in "Learning How to Die" that Jeff said "it's not that Ken Coomer wasn't a good drummer; it's that he wasn't the right drummer anymore."

I love the entire lineup right now and don't want a thing to change, but Wilco could endure with the trio of Tweedy, Stirratt and Kotche if it had to - and still be great.

Glenn is an amazing musician, and a great fit for Wilco, but they could move on without him if they had to. Joey Waronker comes to mind as someone who could take over and it'd work. Of course, it'd be different, but that could be a good thing.

I think Glenn is one of the best drummers I've ever seen and/or heard. I think Nels is one of the best guitar players...well, I can keep going on about the band members, but I won't....

I think this band--current line-up--is one of the best bands I've ever heard, and they've just recorded (that is, across the board, written. produced, engineered, mixed, and performed) one of the best records I've ever heard.

Ever.

That said, at what point does any given band member's departure, from any given band, make that band just another band name?

I think it's not about a player who can play the parts, it's about the "mojo" that they bring to the proverbial table, and the mojo they bring out of the other players in the band.

Glenn, Nels, Pat....they bring all sorts of mojo to this table. If any of them left, it probably would not be the end of the band, but it would always be different.

I don't understand why anyone would do that. I'd like some of these people to name some things that were bad about his playing.

I think he's just overshadowed by how popular Kotche is. It's the slag the old guy to praise the new guy syndrome, it happens, it's hard not to do sometimes. Does kencoomeristrappedinmybasement still post here?

--Mike

People still rag on Ken and I thought he was a good drummer too!

My original point in was that when Glenn was introduced to the Wilco fandom, some of the resultant press made it sound like Jeff was pulling yahoos off the street.

I remember feeling like things could get pretty dire pretty quick when I heard that both Ken AND Jay were out of the band.

Ken is/was a very good drummer.

He is a feel drummer. Maybe not a technician, but certainly much more than competent. If one can give creedence to the Kott book, he was a bit confrontational about having to redo drum parts...and Jeff and Jay were all about using the recording process to the fullest extent.

It is a bit apparent to me that at time, Jeff was ridding his world of conflict...Ken went and Jay soon followed.

I hope that if the band ever gets a nod from the RnR HoF, Ken will be up there on the podium and play with the boys one more time.

I think Glenn is one of the best drummers I've ever seen and/or heard. I think Nels is one of the best guitar players...well, I can keep going on about the band members, but I won't....

I think this band--current line-up--is one of the best bands I've ever heard, and they've just recorded (that is, across the board, written. produced, engineered, mixed, and performed) one of the best records I've ever heard.

Ever.

That said, at what point does any given band member's departure, from any given band, make that band just another band name?

I think it's not about a player who can play the parts, it's about the "mojo" that they bring to the proverbial table, and the mojo they bring out of the other players in the band.

Glenn, Nels, Pat....they bring all sorts of mojo to this table. If any of them left, it probably would not be the end of the band, but it would always be different.

At one point, I was afraid that Wilco was going to turn into the revolving door fest that was the Byrds for and extended period.

This band has synergy...and that's saying a lot because the individual members are extraordinary players.

...This band has synergy...and that's saying a lot because the individual members are extraordinary players.

I agree. It often seems that one or two great players in a band make it more about themselves and less about the tunes. To me, the best bands are about how they can all work with the other players, as opposed to just playing next to them. When they're all able to get "inside" the tunes at the same time, that's where the magic happens. Wilco seem to be very open to letting each other get inside the tunes, and when you have as many great players as this band has, both the quality and quantity of that magic increases.

Also, in my opinion, if the rhythm section ain't happening, nothing is happening. This is where the mojo begins to happen at the most primal level, and Wilco's rhythm section is happening in a very BIG way.

Ever.

Perfectly put. Every word.

He is a feel drummer. Maybe not a technician, but certainly much more than competent. If one can give creedence to the Kott book, he was a bit confrontational about having to redo drum parts...and Jeff and Jay were all about using the recording process to the fullest extent.

So much so that Jay started re-doing a lot of drum tracks. From what I understand, he just started re-doing some of Ken's parts particularly on Summerteeth. He's only credited in the booklet for drumming on A Shot in the Arm, I believe, but I have a feeling that along with the glorious keyboard overdubs, he was handling the drumming too. There were a few YHF tracks he played along Kotche's parts on a smaller kit, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart for sure. I have a feeling much as I love the Tweedy/Bennett partnership given Jay's tendencies eventually Wilco would have just been the two of them with Jay playing all of the instruments in the studio, plus a touring band like Steely Dan.

--Mike

Nonsense, I vote for Nels.

wilco-trio.jpg

Now that'd be a cool band right there! Bill Frisell and Jeff on electric guitars and Nels on drums; I wonder what that trio's music would sound like. (I can attest to the fact that Nels can hold his own on the skins... :guitar )

Glenn is indispensable to Wilco.

Best drummer I have ever seen live. He is just so fun to watch and so good at what he does.

Totally agree! I've seen him open for Jeff solo twice and he brings so much energy and creativity into his performance. He's creative with what he uses, too, and an engineer in designing instruments and sounds.