Is Peter Buck the honorary member of Wilco?

I'd give thenod to Scott McCaughey, Feist, Andrew Bird or Brian Henneman before Peter Buck.

Or Jim O'Rourke

So obvious it slipped it mind

i'd think an appearance on a wilco record would be a requirement for honorary member status

Well...making a record with somebody would probably count double...therefore: Scott McCaughey and Jim O'Rourke (I won't count Mavis...)

Jay Farrar

Clarification: I am not much of a fan of Scott McCaughey's sort-of-in-tune-whispered background vocals on "The Family Gardener" on the Sunken Treasure DVD/soundtrack. Ruins the song for me.

Do me a favor and give this show a shot? http://wilcoarchive.com/Minus%205%20Wilco%202003-04-17.shn/. If it's not your thing, that's more than okay, but it's one of my favorite Wilco related live shows from the era and one of the most fun, loose gigs they ever played. The first half is mainly Down With Wilco stuff with a few covers and then Jeff leads the band through some early versions of A Ghost is Born tracks in the encores.

--Mike

Do me a favor and give this show a shot? http://wilcoarchive....003-04-17.shn/. If it's not your thing, that's more than okay, but it's one of my favorite Wilco related live shows from the era and one of the most fun, loose gigs they ever played. The first half is mainly Down With Wilco stuff with a few covers and then Jeff leads the band through some early versions of A Ghost is Born tracks in the encores.

--Mike

Don't do .shn files.

Some of the names mentioned here are people who have actually been official members of Wilco, at one point or another.

On the contrary, I was referring to people from outside of Wilco, whose contributions have meant a great deal to the development of the band and to raising awareness of Wilco.

Musicians who are members of other bands but who seem to wear a Wilco hat if you would, I was thinking of Peter Buck, McCaughey, they may be the reason why I like Wilco these days.

So these musicians are in a different category than the people who have been suggested above.

If I follow Shakespeare in the Alley's reasoning, that honorary membership requires previous appearance on a band's record, does it mean that Peter Buck is a honorary member of The Decemberists?

Some of the names mentioned here are people who have actually been official members of Wilco, at one point or another.

On the contrary, I was referring to people from outside of Wilco, whose contributions have meant a great deal to the development of the band and to raising awareness of Wilco.

Musicians who are members of other bands but who seem to wear a Wilco hat if you would, I was thinking of Peter Buck, McCaughey, they may be the reason why I like Wilco these days.

So these musicians are in a different category than the people who have been suggested above.

If I follow Shakespeare in the Alley's reasoning, that honorary membership requires previous appearance on a band's record, does it mean that Peter Buck is a honorary member of The Decemberists?

Here's the deal. You can't dicatate how the thread will proceed. You create it and you leave it in the lap of the gods.

I still say after much consideration and thought that it should be Jim O'Rourk, amending my original thought.

Here's the deal. You can't dicatate how the thread will proceed. You create it and you leave it in the lap of the gods.

I still say after much consideration and thought that it should be Jim O'Rourk, amending my original thought.

So what is Peter Buck then? Just an apostle preaching Wilco?

At this juncture, I feel compelled to remind everyone that "The Honorary Member of Wilco" isn't actually a thing.

reason why I didn't use capital letters :)

No, seriously, the bottom line here is: I'm happy that those musicians are on very good terms with Wilco that at some point the line between different bands disseminates. It's one of the many reasons why I like Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, because of collaborators with which I strongly identify.

At this juncture, I feel compelled to remind everyone that "The Honorary Member of Wilco" isn't actually a thing.

Also, that 4/17/03 show at the Abbey was a great time.

I mean where else do you get Tweedy as Simon Cowell, Scott drunkenly stumbling through the most awesomely off-key rendition Mellow of My Mind I've ever heard, and Karen Green shredding on violin in an early "At Least That's What You Said?" It's amazing to hear the ping-ponging between the total shambles long banter rants of Scott's interspersing the loose musical brilliance of this set. Very happy we have this one and the 4/30/2003 Minus 5/Wilco set (with Jim O'Rourke making an appearance) on the archive.

Don't do .shn files.

Do you want to? I don't know where to point you if you have a PC, but I use this to convert everything on my MacBook: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14246/xact.

--Mike

If anyone deserves to be an honorary member of Wilco, it's bbop.

Word

Do me a favor and give this show a shot? http://wilcoarchive....003-04-17.shn/. If it's not your thing, that's more than okay, but it's one of my favorite Wilco related live shows from the era and one of the most fun, loose gigs they ever played. The first half is mainly Down With Wilco stuff with a few covers and then Jeff leads the band through some early versions of A Ghost is Born tracks in the encores.

--Mike

Absolutely I will. I actually enjoy a good portion of Down With Wilco. "I'm Not Bitter" is a good tune.

• 3 weeks later...

Peter finally gets to unleash his voice on this album. :) I am sure it will be utilized sparingly.

I really hope he forms/joins another fulltime band at some point. Same goes with Mike Mills. I just prefer bands to solo artists.