Jeff Tweedy — 3/31/12, Chicago IL (Vic Theatre)

I probably won't be implementing his hair care and grooming tips though.

I am curious about the haircare tips!!! Not that I would want to duplicate the look, but there was a brief discussion here on the VC boards; it might be a good conclusion to that narrative thread. Enquiring minds want to know. :coffee

Jeff said he doesn't use soap at all. You just have to wet it. Then he said why would you use soap to take the crap out of your hair and then put more crap into your hair that you bought. Then he said something like "don't you want hair like me?" and he scruffed up his hair (it was looking wildly shaggy), so the whole talk became extra hilarious. It was some of the best banter I've heard, can't wait to relisten in the bootleg.

Other banter highlights... An audience member asked, "what's the story with the jean jackets?" and Jeff said something like, "In the 1800s, people were looking for a fabric that was both durable and lightweight." Another question asked if he would be on Dancing With the Stars and he said, "Why, do you have a connection?" and then after thinking about it for a while he said his answer would have to be no, but he'd like to be on American Idol not to judge the contestants but to judge the stupid judges "especially Randy."

Last night I finished editing it, I'll put it on disc and give it a listen, then I'll put it out there.

You are a saint.

he'd like to be on American Idol not to judge the contestants but to judge the stupid judges "especially Randy."

That would be so great if he did; last year Randy mentioned Wilco in one of his critiques. (Um, I watch American Idol as an exercise in anthropological field work...) http://www.americansongwriter.com/2011/03/ryan-adams-befuddles-american-idol-judges/

That would be so great if he did; last year Randy mentioned Wilco in one of his critiques.

I forgot about that! Now it seems even funnier that Jeff singled out Randy as the most annoying of the Idol judges.

I can't believe how late I am posting on this, but here goes...lol. Absolutely had a blast at our first 'solo' Tweedy show and there were so many highlights I don't know where to start. It felt more like 'An Evening With Jeff Tweedy" rather than a solo show of sorts - the banter and interaction with the audience was priceless. I was also jazzed by some of the song selections, particularly Bull Black Nova, and the Tupelo stuff like, Wherever and Watch Me Fall and of course, Acuff-Rose...also, I have to single out Capital City ...having just recently heard the whole band roll that out in Detroit, it was fascinating to hear an acoustic take...the song has really grown on me and it was interesting to hear Jeff reference the critical hits the song gets...too funny.

Lastly, good God, it was cold standing in line, but soooo worth it...everyone was so personable. We love, love, love Chi-town and that neighborhood is a blast...we were staying at the Old Chicago Inn up the street - great place, and we highly recommend! The Vic is spectacular, and we would've loved seeing the whole band there in December...

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't be able to pick the better show--to me they were both unique and great. If you want to give them both a listen before downloading you can do so at that great new Wilco streaming site. This is my new addiction, at least until the live show marathon starts in a couple of weeks.

Neither sounds better, they sound different because I used different microphones and sat in different locations, the first night will have a little more audience chatter because I was up front, night two I sat front row balcony and hung the mics over the wall. You would think night two would sound better however when the crowd gets real loud it peaked out my preamp, this doesn't effect the music though.