Rest in Peace, Levon

This death may have affected more people I know than any other musician in recent memory (Alex Chilton was up there..).

This.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watched a bit of the above last night - looking forward to watching more of it.

My only time seeing The Band was in 93 or 94, when they were opening for the Dead. I missed most of their sets (they played two nights) because I was having too much fun in the lot --- I was young and stupid.

Seeing the Band in the 90s might have been a drag, but better than nothing. Every time I have seen a group with a bunch of hired hands its kind of a bummer, but at least you could have said you saw them I guess. Then again the parking lot may have been better anyway.

LouieB

Seeing the Band in the 90s might have been a drag, but better than nothing. Every time I have seen a group with a bunch of hired hands its kind of a bummer, but at least you could have said you saw them I guess. Then again the parking lot may have been better anyway.

LouieB

I think that may have been my line of thinking (hired hands). At the time I had a few Robertson solo records, but I haven't been following what the

then-current Band was up to. I do remember when Jericho was released and thought their version of Atlantic City was pretty decent.

Of course, his recent "Dirt" releases are great.

Another side story regarding Helm, I could have grabbed his set list from his last show at the Old Town of Folk Music. I saw a show there the next afternoon and it was sitting on the stage. It was near Justin Roberts keyboardist' keyboard so I figure someone gave it to him. Bet he's happy to have it.

If they didn't, that's a strike against their karma.

Some of the good ones I saw, Bon Iver, Black Keys with John Fogerty, and the Allmans with Weir and Susan Tedeschi and others from the Tedeschi Trucks band.

Yesterday bought Ramble at the Ryman on vinyl on Record Store Day. So glad to have this.

Nice piece remembering Levon in my hometown newspaper today (Wellington NZ):

http://www.stuff.co....von-Helm-always

Choice quote:

"There's a moment inside The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, well moments, as it happens more than once, Helm delivers a press-roll, while singing, to tidy up at the end of the verse and leading into the chorus. That moment, that press-roll, it's 50+ years of drumming history rolled up, as it were, in one flurry of strokes. It's marching band and big-band jazz, it's rock'n'roll, it's fife and drum-band and then that country-croon/bluesy-croak over the top.

"I can sit and play this song over and over and still marvel. Hairs stick up on my arms, they bristle. I get a lump in my throat. If I think about it too much, too closely, listen too carefully, I might now and then feel a tear trickle. This might sound absurd to you but it's how it is for me. I've felt this way about this song, this song's performance and in particular this tiny moment I described above (it lasts just a couple of seconds) for about 15 years now. The feeling grows stronger with time."

Some of the good ones I saw, Bon Iver, Black Keys with John Fogerty, and the Allmans with Weir and Susan Tedeschi and others from the Tedeschi Trucks band.

Yesterday bought Ramble at the Ryman on vinyl on Record Store Day. So glad to have this.

Just found this PBS video clip from the Ramble at the Ryman show. I'm assuming this is the show that the album is from. The entire show must be available in video.

Glide magazine has pulled together an excellent set of links to all the tributes and obits for Levon. Includes some really moving tributes from the likes of Elvis Costello and Bernie Taupin, as well as great obits from the likes of Village Voice and The Atlantic. Also includes links to videos of various tribute performances by bands in the days following Leon's death.

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/love-for-levon-reactions-to-the-death-of-levon-helm/

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like the Recording Academy might be doing something right in their Grammys telecast.....

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=804104

Elton John, Mumford & Sons To Pay Tribute To Helm

Elton John and Mumford & Sons will hit the Grammys stage to pay tribute to Levon Helm.

The Recording Academy announced Thursday that T Bone Burnett, Mavis Staples, Zac Brown and Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes will also perform “The Weight” at Sunday’s awards ceremony in Los Angeles.

Helm was the drummer and singer for The Band. He died of complications from cancer last year at age 71.

The performers will sing the song during the show’s in memoriam tribute, which honors musicians who died last year. Grammys producer Ken Ehrlich said the lineup of performers is a representation of Helm’s diverse sound.

That's great news! :yes I was just admiring Levon's acting chops last night, as my daughter and I watched "Coal Miner's Daughter". He was a man of many gifts.

Great movie and great performance.  Set off the Loretta Lynn revival of a few  years back (and before Jack White.) Levon was good in The Right Stuff too..

LouieB