I've always wanted to check out more Glen Campbell but picking an album or 2 from his huge catalog is a little intimidating. I pretty much only know the hits, and not very many of them.

Any recommendations?

Go into any used record store or resale shop and pick up his early Capital records for cheap. All of the early ones with the Jimmy Webb songs (such as Witchita Lineman) and other hits are fine. Obviously Gentle on My Mind written by John Hartford was a huge hit and a great song and made Hartford independently wealthy for his entire life. But it is easy to find is old records because he sold millions of them, so you should be able to find them for a couple bucks a piece on LP.

Glenn Campbell's career arc from session guy to radio, TV, and movie star to lame MOR artist, down and out and back up again is a miricle to behold. He made gobs of money, lost his cool, and now in his old age and infirmity is hippish again.

LouieB

I never really gave much thought to Glen Campbell but with the revelations about his Alzheimer's I thought his performance on the grammys would be poignant and possibly a little maudlin. But he was just great. He reminded me of an old racehorse doing a victory lap and soaking up all the affection with joy and gratitude.

A long career is a messy thing. He started out as member of the LA session "Wrecking Crew", had hit after hit, had a few messy marriages, some substance abuse issues, a variety of movie roles, a career that went downhill, and is now having a late career resurgence in part due to his condition. Most folks would totally write a guy like him off and perhaps for good reason. In recent years old recording artists get a fresh start, which is pretty nice thing, which some other artists in early times never got. That he is getting any love at all from younger fans is nothing short of a miracle for a guy who was all over the airwaves in his heyday.

LouieB

At what point does Kenny Rogers get his late career "hip" bump?? I don't see it happening, but you never know.

LouieB

Glen is a virtuoso guitar player and has some connections with hip, name-droppable bands like The Beach Boys. Does Kenny have anything similar?

Glen is a virtuoso guitar player and has some connections with hip, name-droppable bands like The Beach Boys. Does Kenny have anything similar?

Don't forget about Kenny's cool psych years with The First Edition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ8k6fVe25k

This is true, but being a member of the Wrecking Crew did not make him a zillion dollars, singing Jimmy Webb and John Hartford and other songs for Capital made him a star. That's his real claim to fame.

I was pretty much kidding about Kenny. Mostly it was a commentary on how if you are an old radio star and hook up with a big name producer in your old age, it really helps. (Then again it didn't really help Neil Diamond that much.)

LouieB

Well Rogers just played Bonnaroo - or at least he sat in with Phish and performed The Gambler - so a bunch of stinky hippies may start showing up at his shows.

Okay so maybe he DOES have some hip cachet. Who would have thought that?

LouieB

For Christmas in 1975, I got a yellow cowgirl costume and a copy of "Rhinestone Cowboy" on 45. My favorite gift that year -- played that little record to death!

Most likely it was 1975 when I went out for Halloween as Elton John, with large sunglasses, a shiny little leisure suit, and a cowboy hat. When one elderly couple opened the door, the guy looked at me and said, "Oh - Rhinestone Cowboy!" :lol

I was like "Um, no sir: Elton John." Not sure he knew who Elton was...

• 1 month later...

Glen Has Sung some Great ones imo

Galveston

Gentle on my Mind

Witchita Lineman

He was warmly recvd here in Boston in the late winter for a Sold Out show at a 2.5m Venue

As of last week due to his increasing memory loss he is cutting his tour short.

Up till now he was traveling together to every venue with his Wife and Kids.

I loved watching the DVD I bought of the Glen Cambell Show esp when Johnny Cash made appearances!!