Presidential Race (Respector Edition)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a man crush on Ryan? I've never heard anyone speak about him quite like you do.

All joking aside if you guys think the current line up for the DNC is going to come out and tell nothing but the truth we can close this thread down now. It's all speculation and twisting of numbers but one thing is not a lie, I'm not sure I'm any better off now then when the Ivory towers, fake smoke, rising of the sea stopped and the planet began to heal at Mile High stadium 4 years ago.

Do you have a man crush on Ryan? I've never heard anyone speak about him quite like you do.

All joking aside if you guys think the current line up for the DNC is going to come out and tell nothing but the truth we can close this thread down now. It's all speculation and twisting of numbers but one thing is not a lie, I'm not sure I'm any better off now then when the Ivory towers, fake smoke, rising of the sea stopped and the planet began to heal at Mile High stadium 4 years ago.

It is not twisting of numbers it is not speculation Paul Ryan lied and misrepresented his record.

Let me summarize an article from Think Progress http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/08/30/772921/6-worst-lies-in-paul-ryans-speech/ since I guess you failed to read the other article I posted earlier.

1. Blaming PBO for the credit rating drop. It was stated by S&P that it was the inflexibility of the GOP to consider tax increases.

2. Amount of debt amassed by PBO greater than president before him. The math does not add up

3. The GM plant that was closed in Janesville WI was a broken promise by Obama. Considering he was not president at the time it closed don't know how you could blame him on this one.

4. 716 funneled out of medicare to pay for ACA. This was to eliminate inefficiencies and if left in wold make medicare insolvent 8 years earlier than with out. Also included in Ryan's budget

5. Blaming PBO for doing nothing on Simpson-Bowles. When Ryan himself helped derail the commission.

6. “The greatest of all responsibilities is that of the strong to protect the weak.” One look at the Ryan budget and this stands a lie.

These are lies, they are not different ways of looking at numbers. Paul Ryan lied.

Do I expect the twisting of numbers and speculation at the DNC and the RNC, of course. Do I expect to be lied to? No. If Joe Biden lies, if PBO lies, if any dem lies, call them out on it, I fully welcome and appreciate it. But you are seriously blind if you think that Ryan was telling the truth last night. It really is a new low in this campaign.

This can all be suited to fit our stance. We are going to believe what we all want to believe but still, this all fun. :)

http://www.forbes.co...-fiscal-record/

I guess we will believe what we believe. I feel it was a dishonest speech, misrepresenting both PBO and Ryan's record.

Next week, I welcome the litany of lies presented in Joe Biden's speech. Tonight I am sure Mitt will have some whoopers we can disagree on.

I think that is the saddest statement out there.

A couple fuzzy facts don't outweigh the overall good sentiment. Obama knows this better than anyone.

A couple fuzzy facts don't outweigh the overall good sentiment. Obama knows this better than anyone.

Yeah good sentiment, like The greatest of all responsibilities is that of the strong to protect the weak.That is a great sentiment, too bad Ryan, in practice, doesn't believe in that sentiment.

I agree with you, Obama is style over substance. I but I highly doubt (and prove me wrong next week) if Obama will have the level of factual inaccuracies (as identified in the media) that Paul Ryan did last night.

I hope this isn't too disrespectful-sounding for the "Respector" edition, but as a Tampa resident, I will be glad when it's over and these folks are gone. Having the Republican convention here feels like there's a heavy negative vibe over the whole city.

I hope this isn't too disrespectful-sounding for the "Respector" edition, but as a Tampa resident, I will be glad when it's over and these folks are gone. Having the Republican convention here feels like there's a heavy negative vibe over the whole city.

Not living in FLA or anything, is it Tampa or Tampa Bay? Or are those two separate cities? I have seen it mentioned both ways when describing the RNC.

Not living in FLA or anything, is it Tampa or Tampa Bay? Or are those two separate cities? I have seen it mentioned both ways when describing the RNC.

Tampa is the city. Tampa Bay is the bay. Tampa Bay is also a region combining both sides of the bay comprising the cities of Tampa, Temple Terrace and Plant City plus several unincorporated communities on the east side and the cities of St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Dunedin, and several other cities and unincorporated communities on the west side.

I agree with Mr. about looking forward to the clearing out. I like the billboard on I 275 that says "welcome to Tampa, RNC. Where the mayor and all of the city council are Democrats". That may not be an exact quote, but it's close.

Last Saturday afternoon, we were at out local and a guy came in and Sat down at the bar next to me, my wife and another regular. He was in his 50s (we later found out he was 60), with perfect hair, pressed khakis, a blue polo shirt and loafers, which screamed Repulican to the 3 of us. He asked if the TV could be tuned to a horse race and the bartender did so. He pulled out a sizable racing form from his case and commenced a'studyin'. A conversation started and his wife was an Arkansas delegate. He was looking for a beer and the race. Long story short, the guy won $1900 by hitting the winner and the trifecta. When they showed the winner's owner on camera he yelled, "There's whatever-in-hell-the-guys-name-was." They were pals. He bought a round an proceeded to kick some serious k-nowledge about betting on the horses. He seemed a decent sort and was on the verge of making us view Arkansas Repubs differently. But then we started trading jokes. He was sitting next to our pal, ET, who is a black man. He says, "ya'll will love this one" (it compared breeding a fine thoroughbred to breeding a basketball player), and when he gets to the punchline, he (and us) realized that it only worked because he reveals that the well-bred NBAer is black. He got out the first phoneme, had a facial tic, then changed the word to 'athletic', or more accurately, 'blathletic'. Keep in mind that his face is maybe a foot from ET's when he says it. Then he tells another joke that insulted women. My wife said something smart-assed. We were pleased to see him finally hit the trail.

with seeing this all over the place, you see how a guy can get confused. Plus the whole Tampa Bay Buccaneers thing.

RNC_2012_Republican_National_Convention_20120501081537_640_480_20120825194857_640_480.jpg

I did spend a week at a client site in the Tampa area, I remember going down to Ybor city, which was a bit nutty. I guess I never bothered to learn the difference between the Bay and the city.

Good answer, DougC, much more complete than mine would have been. I work in Temple Terrace, but would not think to mention it. :lol

Don't worry about insulting any of us residents by getting something wrong, guys. People who live in the area are always getting up in arms about some aspect of this. Sometimes people in Clearwater or St. Pete get ticked off at Tampa because they're always being included in the whole "Tampa Bay region" thing. To make it worse, the Tampa Bay Times Forum - where the convention is being held - used to be called the St. Pete Times Forum. I guess the paper changed its name when it realized it wanted to appeal to people in Tampa too...no idea. I always thought it was weird having the major hockey rink/arena in Tampa called St. Pete something. It was simpler back when they just called it the Ice Palace.

Back to the lies of the GOP, this one really gets my goat. The whole Welfare BS. Not only has it been mentioned by almost every speaker at the convention, it is central ad that Mitt Romney's campaign has put out. It also has been proven as a lie by almost every fact checking media outlet out there.

This video explains the issue pretty well

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/fast-fact-check-did-obama-really-eliminate-work-requirement-for-welfare/2012/08/29/f8873c50-f218-11e1-adc6-87dfa8eff430_video.html

So to all of you, "in the camp of all politicians stretch the truth" camp. I challenge you to find an example of an Obama approved ad where it distorted a fact so greatly and has been verified by independent fact checkers.

Here's a couple from that conservative rag, the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/obamas-new-attacks-on-romney-and-outsourcing/2012/06/29/gJQA5FbbCW_blog.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/4-pinocchios-for-obamas-newest-anti-romney-ad/2012/06/20/gJQAGux6qV_blog.html

Here's another thing that's beginning to anger me. Apparently, Chris Matthews called the "Chicago" references made my Romney and others thinly veiled racism. That is, IMO, pure horseshit. Chicago references have everything to do with corrupt, cutthroat machine politics and nothing to do with Obama's race. The big-headed blowhard (who I actually like, sometimes) need to shut up, because he knows better.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Obama corrupt, but he's definitely cutthroat. Ask his Secretary of State about that. Need evidence, here's some.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-obama-campaigning-during-gop-convention-20120828,0,7478986.story - Classy move there, pal

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/06/20/in_a_shift_obama_rejects_public_funding/?page=full - He's one to complain about too much money in poltics? Really? Come on.

Damn, I love Clint but that was just sad. I would never boycott his next movie because of his politics...but I may have to wait awhile to see the one that's coming out, because all I will be able to think about when I see the doddering old man in the movie is the doddering old man I just saw at the RNC. :(