Felt really old last night.

Went to my kid's school for curriculum night last night.

Freaked me out that my son's math teacher is the little pisher that grew up in the house on the lot behind us.

He was 10 years old when we moved in to the house yesterday... I mean 13 years ago.

Damn.

well, you might as well get used to it pal.... those moments become more and more frequent. The good news is that soon you won't remember them anyway.

I turned 50 last month, which was really not a big deal for me. I've been quite comfortable with my age and acquired wisdom as time goes by.

Of course, I got my AARP card in the mail last week, and I admit that was a bit of a zinger.

On a "parenting" note, there was also an open house at our son's school last night. He's our third kid, and is a senior in high school. Same school the other two went to. We skipped it. Figured that after 8 of those nights, we're probably OK to sit this one out. We've pretty much thrown in the towel on "parents of the year" at this point...

Cheers.

Even people like me who haven't had kids get these moments. I had my appendix out last month, and 95% of the hospital staff looked like kids to me... It started to freak me out a little that none of them looked older than I do, and I look about 35-36 at most. Even the surgeon looked young (he was 43 or so, it turns out.) I'm guessing most of the orderlies and whatnot were about 28. Damn...

A good friend of mine is a kindergarten teacher. She's gotten used to the parents being younger than her, but a few years ago she freaked out a little bit when she realized that the hot single "dad" she was checking out was actually her student's grandfather.

Also: I'm pretty sure that Paul Ryan is the first major party presidential/vice-presidential candidate that's younger than I am. I'd been told this would happen: first it'll be the rockers and movie stars, then all the pro ball players will be younger than you, and one day you'll wake up and realize that you're older than the president... (Not that I'm expecting Ryan to be president anytime soon!)

Even people like me who haven't had kids get these moments. I had my appendix out last month, and 95% of the hospital staff looked like kids to me... It started to freak me out a little that none of them looked older than I do, and I look about 35-36 at most. Even the surgeon looked young (he was 43 or so, it turns out.) I'm guessing most of the orderlies and whatnot were about 28. Damn...

They're not called orderlies anymore.

Several years ago I did some volunteer work at one of our hospitals. I showed up for my first shift, a Friday night, and was assigned the "library cart." I was teamed up with another volunteer who happened to be a super energetic university student who was trying to qualify for med school. She was happy and excited about the shift and asked me what I did, or if I was still in school. I told her I worked in the investment industry and that I had been out of school for many years. She asked me what school I attended. I told her McMaster in Ontario and that I had graduated in 1985. She had this big smile on her face and said, "Oh, 1985, that's the year I was born!"

What I meant to express by the phrases "hospital staff" and "orderlies and whatnot" were the vast numbers of people around me, which I'm sure included all manner of x-ray technicians, radiologists, certified nursing assistants, LPNs and RNs. Since I was in the hospital for a major surgery, I was quite incurious as to anyone's formal title other than the surgeon who was about to cut me open; and since I am a polite sort, I address people as "Sir," "Ma'am," or "Miss." There was absolutely no reason why I would know or care what the titles of any of those people were, and Jules, if you think you have the right to tell me what I should or shouldn't care about...let me just tell you for the first and last time, you've got the right to be wrong.

Several years ago I did some volunteer work at one of our hospitals. I showed up for my first shift, a Friday night, and was assigned the "library cart." I was teamed up with another volunteer who happened to be a super energetic university student who was trying to qualify for med school. She was happy and excited about the shift and asked me what I did, or if I was still in school. I told her I worked in the investment industry and that I had been out of school for many years. She asked me what school I attended. I told her McMaster in Ontario and that I had graduated in 1985. She had this big smile on her face and said, "Oh, 1985, that's the year I was born!"

Oh, ouch! :lol

What I meant to express by the phrases "hospital staff" and "orderlies and whatnot" were the vast numbers of people around me, which I'm sure included all manner of x-ray technicians, radiologists, certified nursing assistants, LPNs and RNs. Since I was in the hospital for a major surgery, I was quite incurious as to anyone's formal title other than the surgeon who was about to cut me open; and since I am a polite sort, I address people as "Sir," "Ma'am," or "Miss." There was absolutely no reason why I would know or care what the titles of any of those people were, and Jules, if you think you have the right to tell me what I should or shouldn't care about...let me just tell you for the first and last time, you've got the right to be wrong.

Well I'm right about the orderly thing.

How long before a mod/admin says, "One more and we'll need "Felt really old last night (respector addition)"?