Wilco — 9/15/12, Chicago, IL (Hideout Block Party)

Don't know if you consider any of these surprises, but here's the setlist:

1. Misunderstood

2. Company in My Back

3. I Might

4. Sunken Treasure

5. Either Way

6. Hummingbird

7. Impossible Germany

8. Born Alone

9. Radio Cure

10. Handshake Drugs>

11. Wishful Thinking

12. Whole Love

13. Kamera

14. I Must Be High

15. Nothingsevergonnastandinmyway(again)

16. Heavy Metal Drummer

17. Poor Places>

18. Art of Almost

19. Standing O

Encore

20. Dawned on Me

21. A Shot in the Arm

22. Passenger Side

23. Christ for President

24. Walken

25. I'm the Man Who Loves You

26. Monday>

27. Outtasite (outta mind)

About 2 hours 10 minutes long and the stage lights went out during the encore

Great set list...

as far as surprises go..."Christ For President", " Nothingsevergonnastandinmyway(again)" (got to see it the 2nd night in Brooklyn) & "Either Way" (got it at Cooperstown) haven't appeared much at all (a couple times each) this year... & "Company In My Back" & "Passenger Side" (saw it at the Manhattan gig) have appeared less than half a dozen times this year as well, so I'd say that quintet is a nice crop of pretty deep cuts...

You could really make a case for a Septet of rarer songs when you also include "Sunken Treasure" (saw it in Cooperstown & 1st night in Brooklyn) which has been played less than 10 times, & "I Must Be High" (saw it 1st night in Brooklyn) which has been played just over ten times...so those are nice catches too...

And of course the rest is just incredible too!!!

It was about the best day ever. Perfect weather, nice crowd, a diverse group of interesting bands all day long, and capped off by a really great setlist from Wilco.

I'd say that quartet is a nice crop of pretty deep cuts...

Jeff commented that with all the shows they've played in Chicago in the last year, it's getting hard to mix it up for us, so we are getting some deep cuts :)

First off, terrific terrific day at the Hideout Block Party. I have gone many years and the treat of having Wilco headline was very exciting. But first, Jon Langford (Waco Brothers) was terrific as always. Kelly Hogan was wonderful. She has such a genuine personality on stage and much like when she was with Neko Case at Pitchfork a few years back, was really thankful to be there. Corin Tucker Band drove a hard beat and was a nice mid day act. They are no Wild Flag, but enjoyable. Wild Belle was the find of the day. I love a powerful voice and Natalie Bergman has as powerful a voice as you could hope for. Only 23, she has soul and range. Most of the beats are simple reggae ones, but put that voice on top of it and you have some good music. Wye Oak was my only dud of the day. Too quiet and subdued for the setting, I could not get into them. But Lee Fields made up for that 100 fold. It seemed a very short set, much shorter than the 90 minutes they were scheduled for, I would be surprised if it lasted 60. But those were among the best 60 minutes of music you could listen to. The band was great, the voice is golden, and the energy was palpable. It made you take notice. So clearly I would have gone to the block party no matter the "headliner".

But since it was Wilco, ("why has the hideout overlooked us all these years", as Jeff said early on ) I got up from my blanket where I had a great view of the stage all day and went up close. Jeff said they were all getting over a bug which explains some of the lack of energy, and the crowd while big and generally great, was a bit subdued. That said, Misunderstood is the perfect opener. To add Sunken Treasure so close in the set was a real treat. Either Way is too often overlooked. The AM songs were the perfect pairing for the Hideout. Jesus for President was dedicated to Tim one of the Hideout owners and was perfect for him as Jeff said. If you have never heard his rambling scatter brained band intros you are missing some seriously crazy stuff. I truly mean crazy. Dawned on Me is my favorite Wilco song of the last 3 albums and was a great kickoff to the encore. And much like I feel Misunderstood is the best opener, Monday>Outtasite is my absolute favorite show closer (with Red Eyed I Got you a close second) No matter how many times you see Wilco, they still put on a great all around show.

A few more hideout thoughts. After the day is over they have a dance party break out. This is a lot of fun to watch or participate in assuming you have the energy after a full day of music. The crowd is older then many other festivals, many 30's as I am, 40's and many many kids. Very respectful overall and much of the riff raff you deal with at other music shows is absent. Add in the unbelievable weather yesterday and it was as nice a day as a music lover could have.

It was about the best day ever. Perfect weather, nice crowd, a diverse group of interesting bands all day long, and capped off by a really great setlist from Wilco.

Jeff commented that with all the shows they've played in Chicago in the last year, it's getting hard to mix it up for us, so we are getting some deep cuts :)

Oops I corrected my original post that you quoted "I'd say that quartet is a nice crop of pretty deep cuts..."

to say "quintet" not "quartet", but it could of been "Octet" really...ironically you're quote of my post doesn't show up when I quote your post...& thanks to "The Inside of Outside" for pointing out that "Wishful Thinking" should be added into the last group here...

So almost 1/3 of the set was fairly deep, more rarely played tracks...nice...

1) the rarest: "Christ For President", " Nothingsevergonnastandinmyway(again)" & "Either Way"- any of them 2 times this year...

2) still really rare: "Company In My Back" & "Passenger Side"- either 4 or 5 times this year...

3) not done that often at all either: "Sunken Treasure", "Wishful Thinking" & "I Must Be High"- any of them just above, or below ten times this year...

First off, terrific terrific day at the Hideout Block Party. I have gone many years and the treat of having Wilco headline was very exciting. But first, Jon Langford (Waco Brothers) was terrific as always. Kelly Hogan was wonderful. She has such a genuine personality on stage and much like when she was with Neko Case at Pitchfork a few years back, was really thankful to be there. Corin Tucker Band drove a hard beat and was a nice mid day act. They are no Wild Flag, but enjoyable. Wild Belle was the find of the day. I love a powerful voice and Natalie Bergman has as powerful a voice as you could hope for. Only 23, she has soul and range. Most of the beats are simple reggae ones, but put that voice on top of it and you have some good music. Wye Oak was my only dud of the day. Too quiet and subdued for the setting, I could not get into them. But Lee Fields made up for that 100 fold. It seemed a very short set, much shorter than the 90 minutes they were scheduled for, I would be surprised if it lasted 60. But those were among the best 60 minutes of music you could listen to. The band was great, the voice is golden, and the energy was palpable. It made you take notice. So clearly I would have gone to the block party no matter the "headliner".

But since it was Wilco, ("why has the hideout overlooked us all these years", as Jeff said early on ) I got up from my blanket where I had a great view of the stage all day and went up close. Jeff said they were all getting over a bug which explains some of the lack of energy, and the crowd while big and generally great, was a bit subdued. That said, Misunderstood is the perfect opener. To add Sunken Treasure so close in the set was a real treat. Either Way is too often overlooked. The AM songs were the perfect pairing for the Hideout. Jesus for President was dedicated to Tim one of the Hideout owners and was perfect for him as Jeff said. If you have never heard his rambling scatter brained band intros you are missing some seriously crazy stuff. I truly mean crazy. Dawned on Me is my favorite Wilco song of the last 3 albums and was a great kickoff to the encore. And much like I feel Misunderstood is the best opener, Monday>Outtasite is my absolute favorite show closer (with Red Eyed I Got you a close second) No matter how many times you see Wilco, they still put on a great all around show.

A few more hideout thoughts. After the day is over they have a dance party break out. This is a lot of fun to watch or participate in assuming you have the energy after a full day of music. The crowd is older then many other festivals, many 30's as I am, 40's and many many kids. Very respectful overall and much of the riff raff you deal with at other music shows is absent. Add in the unbelievable weather yesterday and it was as nice a day as a music lover could have.

err i got up from my blanket and Wilco wasnt my Best topic? wrong page for your infomercial ......

My 50th Wilco show! A milestone I didn't realize until this morning.

I really appreciated the adventurous setlist. The band's energy seemed flat to me. Maybe a symptom of not playing for a couple weeks or having to concentrate on the songs they don't always play...I don't know. Still a fabulous performance and a great time.

Great event - I thought it was set up really well Saturday. Food trucks were eclectic and then musically Wild Belle was a nice find. The leader singer's posture on stage reminded me of Axl Rose.

So, those are my random thoughts on the show.

What a beautiful weekend seeing many friends and enjoying great music. I got a set list. Audibled in were Walken & I'm The Man Who Loves You, omitted after Outta Site (Outta Mind) - Dreamer In My Dreams & The Lonely One.

Would it be right to include Wishful Thinking and make it an octet of deeper cuts?

Wow- good eye! I'll have to update my original post!!

It would fall into the last group, played just below ten times (this was the 9th)...making it about the same as "Sunken Treasure" & a bit rarer than "I Must Be High", but in that group...

Here's the Rock Geek website with all the info...

http://www.setlist.f...o-23d6982b.html

and here's the 2012 tour stats from the same page...

http://www.setlist.f....html?year=2012

From the merch tent Wilco sounded great, but it was the keyboard band. I don't know if it was intended that way or just the luck of the mix, but little guitar (particularly Nels) projected to the back of the yard. It was nice to see the band members with their kids hanging out much of the day too.

LouieB

From the merch tent Wilco sounded great, but it was the keyboard band. I don't know if it was intended that way or just the luck of the mix, but little guitar (particularly Nels) projected to the back of the yard. It was nice to see the band members with their kids hanging out much of the day too.

LouieB

I always dig the "vibe" at the Block Party, even if it has gotten ginormous over the years. Despite the relative hordes, it's still an event where artists can mostly feel free to bring their families and roam around and have a nice time. Kind of reminds me of Solid Sound in that sense (sans dunk tank, of course).

Or perhaps Solid Sound kind of reminds me of the Block Party. Either way, hope both can stay mostly the way they are -- or have been --despite attracting (or potentially attracting) way more people than when they first started.

And that we can continue slingin' T-shirts and such...

I agree with Sam and Lou on the fest vibe. It has a real community/neighborhood feel. This was the last time I'll see Wilco this year, and it was a nice show to go out on. Beautiful weather, too.

You mean me and Lou? ;-)