How not to be a loser when meeting the band...

So much for our beers in Tampa.

Take heart, all is not lost! That plan wouldnt work because Jeff already knows what you look like. You foiled DougC's plan by being a benevolent and good hearted fellow.

In related news, my daughter and I snuck into the venue yesterday afternoon where Andrew Bird was playing last night (which of course we attended). It's the campus venue for UK, and my daughter attends UK and has performed in that center a few times, so she kinda knew her way around. I just wanted to get in for sound check, which is something I've always wanted to do but not had the chance. As we were going in the back door of the venue, a guy comes wheeling up past us on his bicycle to the back door, hops off and heads in. Andrew Bird. He nodded at us and started talking to one of the stage persons there, and we chickened out to even say "hi" since we weren't exactly supposed to be there. Regretted that for the rest of the day, to say the least. Moral of the story: "teh do it!!". And sound check was really, really cool. Glad we crashed that.

However, my daughter's sock monkey did get to meet Andrew's sock monkey, courtesy of a very nice woman running the merch table. His is the well dressed one on the right. They seemed to enjoy meeting each other.

DSCN0866.JPG

I also got to meet Andrew Bird at this show. I took my boys 16 and 10 and one of the older son's friends. We were kinda scoping out the back of the venue. I went to school at UK for a few years so I knew there wasn't a whole lot of places for them to hide. Sure enough he was out back hanging out with his band. I really didn't think to even ask for an autograph. I just complemented them on the new record and the tour. Told them that this was our fifth show this year. They seemed to like that. My son was smart enough to ask for a picture, while I just got a hand shake. Later he was playing Frisbee with the bass player but I left them alone. Great show too!

We did see John casually walking around the venue (Avila Beach show), kind of just wandering in with the crowd. Very tempted to say hi at that point, as it seemed more natural than the meet and greet, but decided he was probably enjoying being unnoticed walking around at his own show.

So, no regrets that you let the opportunity go by? A couple of friends and I had the good fortune to meet John after a show this summer (okay, we made the opportunity by waiting near the buses) and he was extremely nice, down-to-earth, and just a regular guy. Lots of folks on this board who have met him have said the same. But it's better to have had the chance and not taken it, then to go around yearning for the chance that never comes, if that makes any sense at all!

I really cannot offer any advice for not looking like a loser. I've met Jeff a few times, and each time I come off looking like a total ass. I am a fairly intelligent, witty woman -- but turn into a babbling idiot in JT's presence. It's like my brains leak out my ears.

I doubt you come off as badly as you imagine, Barb, but I know the feeling! I think part of the "problem" is that Jeff is so fully attentive to whoever he's talking with, and with that direct gaze...it's almost a bit unnerving! Few people are good at really giving someone undivided attention, but Jeff does. Your brains probably aren't actually leaking out your ears though, because gentleman that he is, I'm sure he'd offer you a tissue if they were. :)

I'll bet he comes across a lot of people who are thrilled to meet him but are struck dumb in the moment!

patrickhayes, very classy of you to restrain yourself and let John have his bits of privacy. He's such a sweetheart that I'm sure he would have been happy to speak with you, but he must really appreciate the probably all-too-rare moments when folks just let him be. I heard that Avila Beach show was a really special one, with a great relaxed vibe. Probably just what the band needed before their big Hollywood Bowl show.

I doubt you come off as badly as you imagine, Barb, but I know the feeling! I think part of the "problem" is that Jeff is so fully attentive to whoever he's talking with, and with that direct gaze...it's almost a bit unnerving! Few people are good at really giving someone undivided attention, but Jeff does. Your brains probably aren't actually leaking out your ears though, because gentleman that he is, I'm sure he'd offer you a tissue if they were. :)

I'll bet he comes across a lot of people who are thrilled to meet him but are struck dumb in the moment!

patrickhayes, very classy of you to restrain yourself and let John have his bits of privacy. He's such a sweetheart that I'm sure he would have been happy to speak with you, but he must really appreciate the probably all-too-rare moments when folks just let him be. I heard that Avila Beach show was a really special one, with a great relaxed vibe. Probably just what the band needed before their big Hollywood Bowl show.

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

A few years back (2007?), a friend and I met in Raleigh to see Jeff Tweedy at the art museum (excellent show). The next morning we are waiting at the airport, sitting at my gate and Tweedy ambles by toward his own gate. We looked at each other jumped up and ran after him. We verbally accosted him and though he had every right to run, he graciously gave us a minute or so of his time. We shook hands and said our own versions of the time honored "Thanks for doing what you do. Enjoyed the show last night". He thanked us for coming all the way from FL (me) and CO (my friend).

If chasing him down like giddy Monkee loving schoolgirls doesn't result in him treating you like a loser, then nothing will.

Oh, it also helped that we name dropped 2 Real Ultimate Power VCers. Heh, heh.

Always indicate to the band what your screen names are on VC. There was a time when the band knew some of us by those and they may still. I don't know how much they pay attention to this BS anymore, but they used to.

LouieB