How not to be a loser when meeting the band...

Hahaha good luck. I geeked out the first time and I didn't even meet them! They were in the lobby of a hotel and while my wife and I were standing in line I spun around to face them and gave them a twisted mix of "rock pointing" (made that up myself thank you) and thumbs up..... They ALL looked at me with blank stares and I spun back around very pleased. hahaha

I avoided a total geek out when meeting Jeff by complimenting him on his performance that night.. He seemed genuinely appreciative. Instead of "holy crap I'm you're biggest fan!", I think artists appreciate comments about their performances.

Turn the tables. Make the band act like losers, geeking out and blowing a fanboy load. How? Say, "Hi. I'm Jules from Via Chicago".

I met Glenn, Nels, Mikhal and John last October in Nashville. They were all super nice and very cool, took some pictures and chatted for a few moments about the show. For whatever reason as my friend and I were standing for a pic with John I blurted out "are you the shortest member of Wilco?"

He laughed it off and said yeah I guess I am. After he walked away my friend and I kept laughing at what a stupid comment it was. A few months later Wilco was touring in Europe and John tweeted several times about how tall everyone was an how short he felt, so maybe I was onto something.

I met all of em except Jeff in Nashville last year ....they were all so humble and cool ...the 2 things I remember that stood out were Nels Talking about playing Duane Allmans Guitar and saying how he had tears in his eyes playing it.... and talking with Glenn I commented that I saw Autumn Defense the night before in this little bar in Nashville and I said how cool it was to have seen him sit in with Pat and John .. all Glenn just said how nervous he was .. which as talented as he is just dumbfounded me

Turn the tables. Make the band act like losers, geeking out and blowing a fanboy load. How? Say, "Hi. I'm Jules from Via Chicago".

This is the kind of stuff that got people in trouble a couple of years ago. Moving an issue with a member into another thread in a backhanded attack may be cute, but if the moderator's are consistent, will probably not be really smiled upon.

This is the kind of stuff that got people in trouble a couple of years ago. Moving an issue with a member into another thread in a backhanded attack may be cute, but if the moderator's are consistent, will probably not be really smiled upon.

We're taking care of it.

They're just guys who are lucky as hell to be doing what they love to do for a living.

Just so happens that their job makes their faces recognizable to those who appreciate it.

Never met Wilco, but I've met enough movie and music folks to know.

But sometimes, with some folks, you can get starstruck anyway. No matter how much you know the above.

Bring a kid. Shamelessly use your children. Seriously, I've met them all except Glenn and they were nice, gracious folks. The first time I met Jeff, he approached us after my then 13 year-old daughter called out, "Hi!" as he returned from a jog. He actually told one of the roadies to take our camera and get a few pictures. I've found that thanking an artist for the music and great communal experiences goes over well.

• 2 weeks later...

The desire to meet the band almost seems tautological to being a "loser." At least, the act presupposes that they are of a more elevated status than you. They are stars. At best, you are one of the small moons that revolve around a small planet in their vast solar system.

I think the only way to not be a "loser" is to embrace the very loserhood that you eschew, even as conscious self-parody. Be Garth and Wayne, and bow and say "We're not worthy!"

I have met the band a couple of times. Each time, I was sure to gush and flubber, and burst out with unplanned things that seem ridiculous in retrospect. But I embrace that feeling of being starstruck. Isn't that why I wanted to meet them? To be ridiculously happy and say something equivalent to: "I love your work! It means so much to me than you will ever know! And it makes me super nervous to be in your presence but meeting you is like being in God's own light."

Why not? If they didn't want people to adore them, they would perform in their own basements rather than in front of frenzied fans. I am an advocate for giving them the adulation they deserve.

It would be more loserish to try too hard to act cool, or to seem their "equal" when clearly you do not feel like you are their equal (otherwise they would be waiting outside YOUR tour bus for two hours the freezing rain to meet YOU.) It's best to be honest and true and just be a FAN. (Though, you really have to reign your enthusiasm in if you have a proclivity for coming across as psychotic.)

That is exactly how I feel. And that is almost exactly what I did say and do when I met Jeff Tweedy. And, to a lesser degree, when I've met the other guys.

You expressed my sentiments perfectly. Are you sure you're not just my more articulate alter ego??

I would love to meet the band, but I would be happy to ask one question that I have always wanted to know since my girlfriend brought up the idea of 'At Least That's What You Said.' She thinks that the music after the 'spoken' intro is a continuation of the conversation. I thought she was nuts until I truly concentrated on the song and found out she may be right! We may be crazy, but I would like to give Jeff the chance to tell me whether or not it's true.

Bob

In related news, my daughter and I snuck into the venue yesterday afternoon where Andrew Bird was playing last night (which of course we attended). It's the campus venue for UK, and my daughter attends UK and has performed in that center a few times, so she kinda knew her way around. I just wanted to get in for sound check, which is something I've always wanted to do but not had the chance. As we were going in the back door of the venue, a guy comes wheeling up past us on his bicycle to the back door, hops off and heads in. Andrew Bird. He nodded at us and started talking to one of the stage persons there, and we chickened out to even say "hi" since we weren't exactly supposed to be there. Regretted that for the rest of the day, to say the least. Moral of the story: "teh do it!!". And sound check was really, really cool. Glad we crashed that.

However, my daughter's sock monkey did get to meet Andrew's sock monkey, courtesy of a very nice woman running the merch table. His is the well dressed one on the right. They seemed to enjoy meeting each other.

DSCN0866.JPG

I would love to meet the band, but I would be happy to ask one question that I have always wanted to know since my girlfriend brought up the idea of 'At Least That's What You Said.' She thinks that the music after the 'spoken' intro is a continuation of the conversation. I thought she was nuts until I truly concentrated on the song and found out she may be right! We may be crazy, but I would like to give Jeff the chance to tell me whether or not it's true.

Bob

I feel certain that that's what's what's going on in At Least That's What You Said. As much as I love lyrics, they're almost beside the point in this song. I think the music tells the story of the doomed relationship, the hurt, the anger, the pain and regret, and the eventual denouement. This song just kills me.

The moment came and I opted out. Kind of decided I wasn't going to get anything out of meeting them. A few of my buddies did and though and seemed to have a good time. I think my socially awkward tendencies would have kicked in too much.

We did see John casually walking around the venue (Avila Beach show), kind of just wandering in with the crowd. Very tempted to say hi at that point, as it seemed more natural than the meet and greet, but decided he was probably enjoying being unnoticed walking around at his own show.

Show was splendid btw.