Saw him (solo) open of for Dylan for a couple of shows in 2007 - not a particularly huge fan of Costello - but on those two nights he out performed Dylan.

One of the shows was the last one of the tour and Elvis (with Amos Lee, the other opener) performed with Dylan and his band on I Shall be Released - great version.

One of the shows was the last one of the tour and Elvis (with Amos Lee, the other opener) performed with Dylan and his band on I Shall be Released - great version.

This has nothing to do with Costello, but clearly "I shall be released" is the great closer/singalong that "This Land is Your Land" was for an earlier generation. I watched Wilco do this with the Fleet Foxes at some show on YouTube last night. Great song.

LouieB

This has nothing to do with Costello, but clearly "I shall be released" is the great closer/singalong that "This Land is Your Land" was for an earlier generation. I watched Wilco do this with the Fleet Foxes at some show on YouTube last night. Great song.

LouieB

Or maybe "Baby Blue"....

re: Elvis Costello: he has funny glasses.

I think Lammy is referring to Baby Blue as a closer, more so than a singalong, though I probably "sang" along with Blue, too.

I suppose the Weight needs to join "I shall be Released" and "This Land is Your Land", too.

• 4 years later...

For any Elvis fans still here on VC, last week the podcast Rockin' the Suburbs did a full week on Elvis. The first four albums were each covered on Mon-Thurs, and then Friday was a wrap-up and discussion of the rest of his career and ongoing Imperial Bedroom tour. I lived through each of those first 4 albums in real time, so this series was really nice for me and got me listening to some Elvis again. 

• 11 months later...

Very bummed to learn the news about Elvis' fight with cancer. I still haven't seen him live, but it's definitely a bucket list item for me. Hope he'll be on the mend and touring again soon. 

• 3 months later...

We are going to catch this tour, too.  Its been years since I've seen Elvis live and I want to hear him at least one last time.  One of my most impactful concert moments of all time was on the Painted From Memory tour (the album with Burt Bacharach) in Santa Rosa, CA in the late 90s.  For the last song of the last encore (he usually does more than one encore and each one often has 3 or 4 songs) he sang one of my favorite songs that I never thought I'd hear, Couldn't Call It Unexpected, and he did it not only acapella but also with no amplification.  Elvis has a fantastic voice for stuff like that and there is something really pure and powerful to hear a performer that talented with no electronics between their mouth and the audience's ears.  What a great great moment that was for me.  The only other time I got to have that kind of experience was at an industry/promo show by Richard Thompson in 1994 when he did a short set with no amp or microphone at the record warehouse I was working at.  That one slayed me too.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-costello-and-steve-nieve/1999/luther-burbank-center-for-the-arts-santa-rosa-ca-4bf1ab42.html